Weeks in a 17A - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2021, 05:45 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 17B
I have been living full time in my 17b for two years and I love it. Most of that time I was traveling with my large dog. A friend also has a 17b and has spent two months with her two cats and it was fairly easy. The main problem was rounding them up into their travel crates and carrying them to the car on travel days.
Calicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:47 PM   #22

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicia View Post
I have been living full time in my 17b for two years and I love it. Most of that time I was traveling with my large dog. A friend also has a 17b and has spent two months with her two cats and it was fairly easy. The main problem was rounding them up into their travel crates and carrying them to the car on travel days.
That is so good to read. Do you have a blog or instagram?
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:54 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Just to clarify a misconception that some non A-Listers have:
The A models don't have a bathroom, But, they do have a place for a porta-potty that is typically provided by the owner. So, the campground facilities only have to provide the showers.

Some, like us, use our shower tent, as well.

For those of us who previously camped on the ground or in tents,
the A model is an upgrade. Plus, we don't have to read all the threads on the Forum about black and grey tank issues.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:02 PM   #24

Trailer: I don’t have one yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small but Sweet View Post
Wow! That is amazing. I think the cats will be easier than keeping two children happy :-)
Cats like routine and familiarity. Even with a change to living in the 17A, they are still with you and in “the pack”. I think that would be easier on them than boarding with your friends - from their perspective that’s all new and no familiarity. Keep them with you - they know your smell and sounds. The trailer will feel like home soon enough. Good luck!
eschee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:51 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicia View Post
The main problem was rounding them up into their travel crates and carrying them to the car on travel days.
I've traveled twice with my three cats for five months each time. The biggest problem involved learning the trick of latching the screen door securely as it is sensitive to opening with feline encouragement. It needs a slight bump rather than just closing the door. The second biggest problem is quoted above.

The cats have their cat beds brought from home, and also enjoy hiding in overhead cabinets and sitting on the three cabinet extensions to view the outdoors through the plentiful windows. I also stack some storage containers so that the cats can look out the dinette windows.

Using our separate sleeping and dining areas for relaxing helps them get some "me" time if needed. I enjoyed becoming one of their pack, and even when home they now like to stay close.

Hoping our next outing comes soon, we miss traveling. I think this would work well for you, particularly if you test driving in your tow vehicle and hanging out in the RV in advance.
Mary O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschee007 View Post
Cats like routine and familiarity. Even with a change to living in the 17A, they are still with you and in “the pack”. I think that would be easier on them than boarding with your friends - from their perspective that’s all new and no familiarity. Keep them with you - they know your smell and sounds. The trailer will feel like home soon enough. Good luck!
That's really good advice. It reminds me too that we could put "house" blankets etc into the camper so it smells more familiar to them.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Just to clarify a misconception that some non A-Listers have:
The A models don't have a bathroom, But, they do have a place for a porta-potty that is typically provided by the owner. So, the campground facilities only have to provide the showers.

Some, like us, use our shower tent, as well.

For those of us who previously camped on the ground or in tents,
the A model is an upgrade. Plus, we don't have to read all the threads on the Forum about black and grey tank issues.
Oh my gosh, so right, thank you for this. People often rush in to point out that they couldn't live without a bathroom, or the perennial "But what will you do in the night when it's raining and you have to go?"! We all have that neat little cubby right by the door for a camping potty. Problem solved!
Old 02-09-2021, 10:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary O View Post
I've traveled twice with my three cats for five months each time. The biggest problem involved learning the trick of latching the screen door securely as it is sensitive to opening with feline encouragement. It needs a slight bump rather than just closing the door. The second biggest problem is quoted above.

The cats have their cat beds brought from home, and also enjoy hiding in overhead cabinets and sitting on the three cabinet extensions to view the outdoors through the plentiful windows. I also stack some storage containers so that the cats can look out the dinette windows.

Using our separate sleeping and dining areas for relaxing helps them get some "me" time if needed. I enjoyed becoming one of their pack, and even when home they now like to stay close.

Hoping our next outing comes soon, we miss traveling. I think this would work well for you, particularly if you test driving in your tow vehicle and hanging out in the RV in advance.
You definitely make cat camping sound lovely!
Old 02-09-2021, 10:54 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small but Sweet View Post
We all have that neat little cubby right by the door for a camping potty. Problem solved!

Or, you can just open the door.