Originally Posted by davidmurphy02
I'm still not convinced that lint alone is the problem, and not just some defect in the switch design or poor quality control. I doubt your trailer suddenly became lint-free when you replaced the switch, it will be interesting to hear if the problem recurs. I suppose you could always take a look at your current sail switch and see if there's any lint on it since it is still working....inquiring minds want to know
There are people who have not had a sail switch issue in several years of use. Seems like a little foreign matter would get sucked into everyone's furnace air intake over time since there is no screen or filter. But this is the way pretty much all RV furnaces work, and most have sail switches.
It didn't "suddenly became lint-free." Sorry if I implied that.
After installing the new sail switch last May we left for another 4 weeks to visit Teddy Roosevelt National Park, Grand Teton's, Yellowstone, the TOT Rally in Kellogg, Idaho, and other places. The furnace ran just about every night and at least three mornings woke up with snow on our camper. After arriving home last July I pulled the sail switch and it was building with lint. I removed the lint with a tweezers.
Ten days ago we arrived home from an 8 week trip to Ohio, Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, and New York. I was going to remove the switch next week to clean, but now after purchasing the new switch, I'll wait until it arrives and see if there is an lint buildup on the old switch.
I believe (ass u me?) the furnace slowly has been purging itself of lint, and the time between lint buildup has been increasing. I'll still remove the switch at least once a year for inspection.
An yes, there may also be a problem with the build of the switch itself or the air-flow over the switch causing lint to accumulate. We'll really never be 100% sure of the cause of the problem because there may be multiple causes.