Went to test air conditioner came back withn a heater issue - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2019, 12:59 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
There are people who have not had a sail switch issue in several years of use. Seems like a little foreign matter would get sucked into everyone's furnace air intake over time since there is no screen or filter. But this is the way pretty much all RV furnaces work, and most have sail switches.

I've never replaced or cleaned the sail switch in my older model furnace. Not sure where it is or how to access in my 2009 17B.
For at least eight years we had a beagle with us.

We do not vacuum. We sweep.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:05 PM   #22

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I'm still not convinced that lint alone is the problem, and not just some defect in the switch design or poor quality control. I doubt your trailer suddenly became lint-free when you replaced the switch, it will be interesting to hear if the problem recurs. I suppose you could always take a look at your current sail switch and see if there's any lint on it since it is still working....inquiring minds want to know

There are people who have not had a sail switch issue in several years of use. Seems like a little foreign matter would get sucked into everyone's furnace air intake over time since there is no screen or filter. But this is the way pretty much all RV furnaces work, and most have sail switches.
It didn't "suddenly became lint-free." Sorry if I implied that.

After installing the new sail switch last May we left for another 4 weeks to visit Teddy Roosevelt National Park, Grand Teton's, Yellowstone, the TOT Rally in Kellogg, Idaho, and other places. The furnace ran just about every night and at least three mornings woke up with snow on our camper. After arriving home last July I pulled the sail switch and it was building with lint. I removed the lint with a tweezers.

Ten days ago we arrived home from an 8 week trip to Ohio, Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, and New York. I was going to remove the switch next week to clean, but now after purchasing the new switch, I'll wait until it arrives and see if there is an lint buildup on the old switch.

I believe (ass u me?) the furnace slowly has been purging itself of lint, and the time between lint buildup has been increasing. I'll still remove the switch at least once a year for inspection.

An yes, there may also be a problem with the build of the switch itself or the air-flow over the switch causing lint to accumulate. We'll really never be 100% sure of the cause of the problem because there may be multiple causes.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-31-2019, 11:44 PM   #23

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmitch View Post
I do not think it will even work. The switch needs to be open when the sequence starts and then prove there is air flow by closing, this starts the gas and ignition. I don't think it will cycle if it is bypassed.
Correct
Old 11-01-2019, 06:54 PM   #24

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Thanks again. They're already out of stock but I requested a restock date.
Mary O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:01 PM   #25

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
My furnace went out today, found this post, and cleaned the sail switch. Furnace now working. Really glad to have found this post and link to the now out of stock sail switch, LOL.
lostskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19' on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Susie View Post
Called ETI sent us a new sail switch
Humm, I called ETI and they emailed me a link to a video. The instructions on the video did not fix the problem so I called EDI again. This time they gave me the 800 number to Dometic insuring me they would send out a new sail switch. I called Dometic and they said I had to bring the trailer to an authorized Dometic repair center. Long story short, it wasn't worth the repair centers time to diagnose and submit a warranty claim for a $19 switch!

So much for my 2-year warranty.
Onestep is offline   Reply With Quote