Wet Baths....Problem or Not? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2020, 04:10 PM   #1

Trailer: Evaluating Stage
Wet Baths....Problem or Not?

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this forum. I've been researching a lot of RVs (mainly travel trailers and small 5th wheels) off and on over the last year, but I haven't been real impressed by most of the RV construction out there, until I came across the fiberglass RVs made by Escape and Oliver. Oliver, although very nice, is a bit out of my league price-wise, which makes the Escape the sweet spot. However, most fiberglass RV manufacturers only include wet baths, not dry baths. Are there any Escape members out there that regret having wet baths in their Escape RVs instead of a dry bath? My wife doesn't like the idea of needing to use the toilet in the wet bath if it's still soaking wet from me taking a shower. How do you all circumvent this issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Escape Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21, 1977 Scamp 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Plan View Post
Hello Everyone!

I am new to this forum. I've been researching a lot of RVs (mainly travel trailers and small 5th wheels) off and on over the last year, but I haven't been real impressed by most of the RV construction out there, until I came across the fiberglass RVs made by Escape and Oliver. Oliver, although very nice, is a bit out of my league price-wise, which makes the Escape the sweet spot. However, most fiberglass RV manufacturers only include wet baths, not dry baths. Are there any Escape members out there that regret having wet baths in their Escape RVs instead of a dry bath? My wife doesn't like the idea of needing to use the toilet in the wet bath if it's still soaking wet from me taking a shower. How do you all circumvent this issue?

Thanks!
Just get a cedar or teak bath mat. They dry very quickly and works very well.
tburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
My wife doesn't like the idea of needing to use the toilet in the wet bath if it's still soaking wet from me taking a shower. How do you all circumvent this issue?
Have a chamois ready and wipe everything down after the shower. Takes three minutes. Quick, easy, done!
1996-2005: 1987 Award 23'
RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tburt View Post

That's a great idea! Are there any products fellow members have used to keep the toilet dry? I'm mainly interested in the 5.0TA and the 21NE models, so they may have curtains to isolate the toilet??

James
Old 07-19-2020, 04:24 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tburt View Post
Mine is bamboo but does the job....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1600.jpg  
Old 07-19-2020, 04:27 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
That's a great idea! Are there any products fellow members have used to keep the toilet dry? I'm mainly interested in the 5.0TA and the 21NE models, so they may have curtains to isolate the toilet??

James
It is a small room, you could cover the toilet with something or just wait until it dries, there is a lid so the seat is not "wet"......
Old 07-19-2020, 04:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
My wife doesn't like the idea of needing to use the toilet in the wet bath if it's still soaking wet from me taking a shower. How do you all circumvent this issue?

She will love you for cleaning the bath. You just squeegee the walls and wipe with a chamois. Fast and easy.
Attached Thumbnails
squeegee.jpg  
Old 07-19-2020, 04:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Hello Everyone!

Thanks!
Escape is working on an Escape 23, which will have a dry bath. It should be available Spring of 2021.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:44 PM   #9

The only other issue (for me anyway) is the rather limited space inside the wet bath. I'm 6' 2", so it is a bit of a struggle to maneuver inside of them. Other than that, I love how they're constructed and how easily towable they are.

James
Old 07-19-2020, 05:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We had a small stick and tin fifth wheel for 15 years with a dry bath and when we found Escape that was my one reservation. However, after using our 5.0TA for a while I find that I actually prefer the wet bath. The fiberglass stall that encloses the whole bathroom is bulletproof as far as water. In our old rig we always had to worry about water splashing out of the shower, the formica counter on the bath sink began to delaminate, etc.. None of those worries with our Escape - it just took a few months to get over the feeling of "this just doesn't feel right" taking a shower with water splashing on the toilet.

We just take an extra towel and dry the toilet and bath walls after showering - as others have said, only takes a minute and is no trouble at all.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:07 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
The only other issue (for me anyway) is the rather limited space inside the wet bath. I'm 6' 2", so it is a bit of a struggle to maneuver inside of them. Other than that, I love how they're constructed and how easily towable they are.
James
I'm 6' 3" and don't have any significant issues when using the shower in our 5.0TA. I am on the thin side which might be a consideration for some people.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:15 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I resisted wet bath after having a camperized van with a vanity as well as toilet to get wet. Also, couldn't get passed wiping off all of toilet area. Main concern was leaving wet in the PNW outside with all our condensation problems.

What I did in our E19 was get a full shower curtain to go beyond the door wall and curl over to the window. Length is suspended with well placed command hooks and mid wall with a number of magnets. Magnets are taped to inside curtain and then opposing magnet is held in place with the use of screw magnet holders placed where stall/window fasteners are located.

What works for us is an Oxygenic head that is turned on to wet down, soap with pump dispenser then flush off with 2nd water application. Only wet area is curtain and sink area. Dry with microfibre cloth. Also the hooks and magnets around top keep it stretched out to finish drying before pushing into corner held by small strap. Only problems were we tried a microfibre curtain and it was wet both sides, soap/shampoo dispensers needs to be fixed to stop juggling bottles and surplus curtain is sometimes in way of opening/closing medicine cabinet.
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:17 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The baths are small on all the models, except perhaps for the 21C. That bath feels palatial to us, compared to the one in our 19.

But, its still wonderful to be able to take a shower, tight or not. And as others have said, a quick squeegee and a wipe and you're done.

I hear tell Escape will be offering a 23 footer some day with a dry bath, if that feature is important enough for you to wait for.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:20 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Adding an outside shower is an option with Escapes. You could set up a small shower tent outside and shower out there.

But as others have suggested, just wiping down the interior of the wet bath and toilet is easy and simple.

As far as regrets, having tent camped my entire adult life, having ANY shower that doesn’t involve filling and hoisting a heavy bag of water seems like an incredible luxury to me! As I’m sure you’ve found, finding the right balance between quality, price, and size in an RV involves trade offs. Perhaps the wet bath is one of them, but the flip side is the trailer is smaller and lighter, and there is more space that is not taken up by a larger bathroom. I’d rather deal with a wet bath than lose any more living space, at least in the 19.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:21 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Wet bath not a problem, especially in AZ. Put in a good floor system as others suggested here, and run the bath fan for about 10 min. do a quick wipe through as needed. Stuff dries out pretty quickly here.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:24 PM   #16

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
What space are you willing to give up to have a dry bath? We've had wet and dry baths in the past. To have a dry bath the camper must either be bigger, or give up space. We love our 5.0 and have learned how to live with a wet bath, and it's not really a problem.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-19-2020, 05:25 PM   #17

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB View Post
Have a chamois ready and wipe everything down after the shower. Takes three minutes. Quick, easy, done!

This, when we use the shower. We normally use the campground facilities if we are at one.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:58 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
She will love you for cleaning the bath. You just squeegee the walls and wipe with a chamois. Fast and easy.
I would call that "Positive Reinforcement". But in our trailer I get "Negative Reinforcement" if I forget to wipe and dry.

But even I learned how to do it!

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:07 PM   #19

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
In our trailer whoever takes the first shower has to move the cats' litter box out of the bathroom and sweep the floor. Whoever takes the second shower has to wipe the bathroom dry when done and put the litter box back. When you're dealing with a litter box, a little wiping of shower walls doesn't seem like such a big deal
Old 07-19-2020, 06:25 PM   #20

Trailer: none
Yuck !
oreo is offline   Reply With Quote