We've Been Here Before: Chemical Smells in Escape Trailers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2022, 11:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We've Been Here Before: Chemical Smells in Escape Trailers

We've been here before

If anyone has Multiple Chemical Sensitivities and successfully owned an Escape Trailer, please let me know!

In 2018 we purchased an Escape 21 and had to sell it because my wife, Rachel, reacted to the chemical outgassing. She has Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS).

Jump ahead 4 years, in August we decided to purchase a 2018 Escape 19 thinking that all the outgassing would be done and she would be safe. Wrong! We also checked out someone's new purchase near to where we live, a 2017 Escape 19, and it still had some of the smell our 2018 has.

We love the trailers and would like to figure out how to get the trailer to be safe for Rachel.

I've talked with people at Escape and they send me Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) and say a lot of chemicals are used.

Help! We really don't want to sell this trailer.

Thanks,

Charlie
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 07:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
We've been here before

If anyone has Multiple Chemical Sensitivities and successfully owned an Escape Trailer, please let me know!

In 2018 we purchased an Escape 21 and had to sell it because my wife, Rachel, reacted to the chemical outgassing. She has Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS).

Jump ahead 4 years, in August we decided to purchase a 2018 Escape 19 thinking that all the outgassing would be done and she would be safe. Wrong! We also checked out someone's new purchase near to where we live, a 2017 Escape 19, and it still had some of the smell our 2018 has.

We love the trailers and would like to figure out how to get the trailer to be safe for Rachel.

I've talked with people at Escape and they send me Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) and say a lot of chemicals are used.

Help! We really don't want to sell this trailer.

Thanks,

Charlie
Sometimes you just have to know when it’s time and to have the strength to let go..

Just be sure to tell the wife how much you’re going to miss her…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 07:15 AM   #3

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
Sometimes you just have to know when it’s time and to have the strength to let go..

Well played!

My wife also has quite severe allergies, has had all of her life but getting worse as we age. As a result she has spent very limited time in our new Escape.
All summer I made sure that every day I opened the doors and windows in the trailer and turned on a fan. I store the trailer indoors which makes it easier to do that without fear of rain, etc.
It has helped immensely but I still think it is going to take some time before the off gassing drops to a level where she is comfortable. My instinct is that it is the adhesive they use to put the wall and ceiling covering on that is the biggest culprit, aside from fibreglass.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 07:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post

Good one.

In all seriousness I don’t pick up a strong odor of any sort in our 2010 19 but when I worked on a new 21 it was very noticeable. Not sure if time will improve the situation or if they are using some different materials now that are more offensive. In buildings we try to use low VOC materials but sometimes before occupancy we will get the temperature up with heaters to accelerate off-gassing and ventilate. Maybe that would help if you were able to do that for say a couple of weeks straight. Just a thought.
Old 11-19-2022, 07:41 AM   #5

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
There are devices that can be used in your camper to mitigate the residual off-gassing. Motels use them all the time, ServePro or ServiceMaster being a couple mitigation/restoration services to consider.

We store our camper outside and yet because of my sensitivity leave the MaxxFan open and running 24/7/365. We picked up our 5.0 on October 26, 2018 and the fan is still running.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-19-2022, 09:58 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
There was a discussion of this on the Fiberglass forum wher a poster was looking for an Oliver thinking the construction method was the best trailer for a very hypo allergic daughter. I’m not sure what the worst materials would be in an escape. Cushions ? Vinyl floors ? Constructive adhesives? Mattress? Cushions and mattress could be replaced with non petro chemical alternatives. It’s a conundrum for sensitive people. We recently bought a beautiful Indian rug made d from silk and wool and went out and bought a rug pad for it, as I opened the rug pad, I immediately removed it from the house and returned it as it was coated with PVC. I had an immediate reaction. I found a place that sold a felt and latex pad that was fine.
Hope you can solve this.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 05:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Have you considered renting an ozone generator? There's some debate on how well they work on VOC's but it might be worth trying.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 06:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Ron was ahead of me. Ozone generators have their own issues, but running one in the trailer for several hours or even a few days, may provide relief.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:20 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Our 2007 17B at 11 years of age still had the new smell. Usually if the 2 windows were open a hair any smell was less prominent.

When we bought our 2020, it sat at the factory for 5 months before delivery. The worst of the off gassing was done by the time we got it. Now theirs no room for that.
Old 01-08-2023, 10:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I want to thank everyone for their suggestions!

And I am looking for anyone else who may have more suggestions - other than just selling it

(Oh, ozone causes problems for Rachel.)

This trailer is supposed to be Rachel’s safe space. With her Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS) this will allow us to travel! Hotels are NOT safe!

Since purchasing the trailer this summer, I have done many cycles of heating and airing during the warm weather. And now that it is cold, I have the windows open and a small box fan running continuously to keep turning the air over. However, Rachel still notices the smell that same as when we purchased it!

Does anyone know of a person at Escape who would be willing to have a serious conversation about this and not just send Material Safety Data Sheets?

Sincerely,

Charlie
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 07:07 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Good luck with that one

The sad fact is that you have a trailer that is made completely of synthetic materials, most of which outgas. I don't know what ETI can offer you.

Good luck,
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 10:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
The sad fact is that you have a trailer that is made completely of synthetic materials, most of which outgas. I don't know what ETI can offer you.

Good luck,
I agree, I don't think that ETI can do anything about your situation. Perhaps she should try going inside a trailer of a different brand, maybe one that doesn't have a lot of vinyl headliner etc.

Ron
Old 01-09-2023, 11:14 AM   #13

The only thing I can offer is to run the Ozone generator long and hard and then thoroughly air out the trailer before she goes inside. Otherwise, try a different trailer. However, even most of the aluminum or wood built trailers use ample off gassing materials.
Old 01-09-2023, 12:19 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
A short online search will reveal that finding an RV that works for folks with MCS is a real challenge. For most RVs, including Escapes, they won't offgas to a tolerable level for the severely sensitive until at least 10 years. Not good news but there it is.
Old 01-09-2023, 02:01 PM   #15

I didn't realize that they off gassed that long. Maybe the solution is to buy an older RV.

Ron
Old 01-09-2023, 02:15 PM   #16

My concern with 7 plus year old trailers is the other stuff that builds up over time. We had a ‘73 Nomad that started giving me an allergic reaction overnight in ‘81. An older trailer you scrubbed inside and out literally might work.
Old 01-09-2023, 02:33 PM   #17

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
That....or....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
My concern with 7 plus year old trailers is the other stuff that builds up over time. We had a ‘73 Nomad that started giving me an allergic reaction overnight in ‘81. An older trailer you scrubbed inside and out literally might work.
That....or...

A gutted Airstream or other emptied out aluminium shelled trailer, appropriately outfitted with non/low gassing materials simply is what comes to my mind. Outfitting would be an involved project to find the materials and have them installed. Metal and most thick, solid plastics do not outgas. Does solid wood? Sure, some. Plywood does gas a lot, relatively speaking.
Metal is your friend. No appreciable outgassing there.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 03:50 PM   #18

Yes, maybe start a build on an aluminum cargo trailer. That’s obviously expensive and not off the shelf ready.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:10 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' and 2004 Tundra
My 2017 that I bought used only smelled because of the black tank chemicals that the previous owner had stored inside. once I moved that container to the utility box outside my problem was solved.
RBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 06:59 PM   #20

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post

Good one.

In all seriousness I don’t pick up a strong odor of any sort in our 2010 19 but when I worked on a new 21 it was very noticeable. Not sure if time will improve the situation or if they are using some different materials now that are more offensive. In buildings we try to use low VOC materials but sometimes before occupancy we will get the temperature up with heaters to accelerate off-gassing and ventilate. Maybe that would help if you were able to do that for say a couple of weeks straight. Just a thought.

Good to know. My 2022 21C is a chemical stink pot, and I was starting to wonder if it was just mine! (Ok, "chemical stink pot" might be a bit strong, but I definitely get a very noticeable whiff of VOC's whenever I step into the trailer.)

Raising the temperature sounds like a good idea. I'm going to give that a try.
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote