....what are the weak spots? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2020, 06:22 PM   #61

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Okay, coating with resin (maybe even some glass mat) helps, but the screws make holes that are vulnerable to moisture. Isn't there something synthetic or non-rotting that could be used for the anchor points?
And you've read somewhere that rot inside Escapes is prevalent?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:00 PM   #62

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My 17B is 12 years old. I've had issues with appliances ( that's to be expected when towing a fridge over forest service roads ).

As for the trailer itself, the only problems I've had are self-inflicted ( damage to a surface ).
I am curious what issues you have had with your fridge? Ours is a similar age and we also like to drive on forest service / gravel roads.

The top hinge pin receiver hole broke on my fridge door a couple years ago. I managed to repair that with a new plate and avoid purchasing a new door at that time.

Last weekend the interior plastic liner cracked at the bracket for the lower shelf. I just repaired it with some expoxy but am figuring the writing is on the wall.

I am not sure I can stomach buying a replacement door for $600+ when the fridge is 12 years old and the door still has the same design flaws. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200715_130930.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	48694
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:13 PM   #63

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Anchoring

Quote:
Okay, coating with resin (maybe even some glass mat) helps, but the screws make holes that are vulnerable to moisture. Isn't there something synthetic or non-rotting that could be used for the anchor points?
Trex? Pretty tough, no rot, cuttable, holds screws well on decks.
Just spitballin
Iowa Dave
Old 07-15-2020, 07:55 PM   #64

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
For a while there were many posts here about the sail switch problem in the furnaces. Ours plugged up a number of times in our first 100 nights. We replaced the sail switch with what looks to be an identical switch and now have 200 nights without a problem. Search posts for "sail switch".

Don't remember a sail switch problem recently, so did everyone who had issues replace their switch?

Enjoy,

Perry
On my last extended trip the furnace failed twice due to the sail switch clogging up, first time during a snow storm and second in much better weather. Getting good at cleaning it out but thanks for the reminder to order a replacement. They were out of stock the multiple times I tried, so hoping for better luck this time around.
Mary O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:52 PM   #65

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by msweet View Post
I am curious what issues you have had with your fridge? Last weekend the interior plastic liner cracked at the bracket for the lower shelf. I just repaired it with some expoxy but am figuring the writing is on the wall.

I broke the same bottom shelf by placing heavy items on it despite warnings. I also fixed it with epoxy and aluminum edging material.
The freezer door hinge on one side broke ( or something ). Anyway, it doesn't self close so I installed rare earth magnets to keep it closed.
Tomorrow, the trailer is going in to North Shore RV to track down why the fridge doesn't work on shore power or propane.
I should have bought a new one when Reace offered me a very good price on a replacement. But, I didn't.

I will report.
Attached Thumbnails
Fridge repair A.jpg   Fridge repair B.jpg  
Old 07-17-2020, 05:30 PM   #66

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Trex? Pretty tough, no rot, cuttable, holds screws well on decks.
Just spitballin
Iowa Dave

Polyethylene comes in blocks that you can mill like wood...I had an old wood glassed-in block rot out in a fiberglass trailer, and after a hack fix thought "why not glass in PE blocks - they'd never rot, and hold screws well (pilot drilled, of course).
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:53 PM   #67

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Both Trex & Polyethylene are heavier than wood. As others have pointed out, I don't know anyone that has complained about rotten wood supports, at least in an Escape.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:16 PM   #68

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I agree, seems like a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

One problem with poly is that resin doesn't adhere to it. So the integrity of the piece depends on how well it's mechanically captive in whatever resin and glass you use to hold it in place.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:54 AM   #69

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
And you've read somewhere that rot inside Escapes is prevalent?

Ron
I have read that some Escape owners' door hinges sag when the wood gets bad enough to let the screw holes elongate. (Without going back and re-reading every comment to refresh my memory) weren't there at least two people posting in just this one thread about experiencing a problem with this? Door hinges are located at an opening where water intrusion can occur. Does it take an engineering degree to figure out that placing wood so near an opening, where water can get past a gasket, is a bad idea? Can anyone say whether Escape at least uses a hardwood for this, rather than pine or similar?
Old 07-18-2020, 10:02 AM   #70

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
I have read that some Escape owners' door hinges sag when the wood gets bad enough to let the screw holes elongate. (Without going back and re-reading every comment to refresh my memory) weren't there at least two people posting in just this one thread about experiencing a problem with this? Door hinges are located at an opening where water intrusion can occur. Does it take an engineering degree to figure out that placing wood so near an opening, where water can get past a gasket, is a bad idea? Can anyone say whether Escape at least uses a hardwood for this, rather than pine or similar?
I don't believe these were on the current style Escapes. I believe it was in reference to old style Escapes with the custom made curved doors.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:46 AM   #71

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
The problem with at least ours no gasket just hinge on fiberglass . For sure water installed that way got behind the hinge . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:59 AM   #72

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The first G models until 2016 had eternal hinges, discontinued with the 2nd G models in 2016, there are no exposed hinge screws on any new Escape.