What did you do for your Escape today..... - Page 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 09:07 AM   #361

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Turned on the fridge, filled the water tanks, aired up the tires (slightly) yesterday. The Escape moves from a friends double driveway to the front yard this morning and the now cool refer will be filled. Plan to head south for warmer weather tomorrow.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:36 PM   #362

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Started on a storm window for my single glazed front window.

I've had all single glazed windows and all double glazed except for the single glazed front window. That's a pretty good demo on the value of double glazed windows. The front window of the 19, even though it was furthest from the bed, had noticeably more condensation.

So the 21 has a single glazed window and our warm, moisture laden breath is right under it overnight. Wouldn't do without the front window but I wanted to improve on the current situation before we hit Winter on our way South after Xmas.

Lots of ways to go, I even have desiccant material and argon gas. Was briefly tempted to make up a true double glazed unit but since there wouldn't be any guarantees that it would be much better I decided to go for quick and simple.

Fortunately I had some Lexan sheet kicking around so I made up a "tea tray". The perimeter frame is a light sliding fit on the protruding aluminum frame. So the puts 3/4" of wood between the cold aluminum frame and the warm interior air.

Since anything but a true sealed double glazed unit is bound to have some fogging sooner or later I wanted the unit to be easily removable for cleaning. I'll be able to slide the bottom outwards for cleaning while the top remains captive.

One of the reasons that I didn't just use the screws to attach the Lexan to the frame. Not only would I have to remove screws just to clean it but I've learned that screws into thin aluminum only give you so many uses before the small amount of grip gives out.

Well, it's a work in progress. I'll tidy it all up and add some foam etc. Won't know until our trip South if it'll do the job.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0019_resize.JPG   IMGP0020_resize.JPG  
Old 11-14-2019, 07:21 PM   #363

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Started on a storm window for my single glazed front window.

I've had all single glazed windows and all double glazed except for the single glazed front window. That's a pretty good demo on the value of double glazed windows. The front window of the 19, even though it was furthest from the bed, had noticeably more condensation.

So the 21 has a single glazed window and our warm, moisture laden breath is right under it overnight. Wouldn't do without the front window but I wanted to improve on the current situation before we hit Winter on our way South after Xmas.

Lots of ways to go, I even have desiccant material and argon gas. Was briefly tempted to make up a true double glazed unit but since there wouldn't be any guarantees that it would be much better I decided to go for quick and simple.

Fortunately I had some Lexan sheet kicking around so I made up a "tea tray". The perimeter frame is a light sliding fit on the protruding aluminum frame. So the puts 3/4" of wood between the cold aluminum frame and the warm interior air.

Since anything but a true sealed double glazed unit is bound to have some fogging sooner or later I wanted the unit to be easily removable for cleaning. I'll be able to slide the bottom outwards for cleaning while the top remains captive.

One of the reasons that I didn't just use the screws to attach the Lexan to the frame. Not only would I have to remove screws just to clean it but I've learned that screws into thin aluminum only give you so many uses before the small amount of grip gives out.

Well, it's a work in progress. I'll tidy it all up and add some foam etc. Won't know until our trip South if it'll do the job.

Ron
Ron: How about adding Reflectix on the inside of the rock guard as others have done? Close it at night to help keep the window and frame warmer.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #364

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I agree with the use of reflectix, that is what I did with the E19s, otherwise this mod more or less eliminates the advantage of the front window at the expense of losing the o/h shelf, at least in the winter.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #365

Sorry, but you guys move in higher circles than I do.

Using reflectix would negate the ability to be able to see out the front window at night. We often park at truck stops and Walmarts etc. and it's nice to be able to see what's going on around you and especially be able to see your tow vehicle without having to get out of the trailer.

Ron
Old 11-14-2019, 09:53 PM   #366

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
That's also my WalMart my thinking.
Attached Thumbnails
geezz043.jpg  
Old 11-14-2019, 10:20 PM   #367

What, you have X-ray vision and can see through your rock guard?

Ah yes, Cabelas, use them whenever convenient. There's a good one in WA, way off in the corner it's almost like they've provided a little RV park. Less likely to have some of the characters that you sometimes find in some Walmarts. Most are absolutely OK but there have been a couple with folks that I don't usually hang out with.

Ron
Old 11-15-2019, 05:52 AM   #368

I installed the reflectix to the underside of the window awning, so when open it lifts up....
Old 11-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #369

In 6 years I remember two WalMart parking lots, at midnight, infested with rowdy teenage drunks. The second group were girls who piled out of their car three spaces away from me. None of them could carry a tune very well.

Actually, I opened the front window guard soon after taking that picture. It is my belief that at Cabelas you likely will encounter a better class of thief, or troubles. (Of course, they might be more likely to be armed.) That pictured Cabelas is in the Salt Lake City area but easy to miss at night. South of Denver, at another one off I-25, it snowed overnight and the raised rock guard let me watch them in comfort as they plowed around me. Noisy buggers.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #370

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Have said it before- I would never stay at a Walmart, Rest Area or the like. It has been documented for decades that Rest Areas in particular can be a dangerous place as they are proximate to Expressways/Freeways.

If we need a place to en route camp briefly we will look for a church parking lot.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
It is my belief that at Cabelas you likely will encounter a better class of thief, or troubles. (Of course, they might be more likely to be armed.)
I was going to make a similar comment but I thought that it might stray into taboo topics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Have said it before- I would never stay at a Walmart, Rest Area or the like.
Not all Walmarts or rest stops are created equally. There are lots of guides and reviews. We've never had a problem and just use situational awareness to stay safe. Some rest stops, like French Prarie, south of Portand, are now routine stops for us. The third parking lot away from the freeway was also a great spot to watch the eclipse. Nice big open field.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P8200016_resize.JPG  
Old 11-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #372

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've used my share of WM's when the situation calls for it, and a couple pretty nice rest areas, I do not sleep well at either. Same goes for a few of the easy access BLM sites and even municipal parks we've pulled into. Free camping seems to draw more then it's fair share of shady characters. Maybe if I did it more often I wouldn't feel this way, but I don't.

Give me a decent state or federal campground any day.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #373

I cut some 1x3's to the appropriate length to make the "u" dinette into a lounge that can sleep one. Maybe going camping next month with a buddy on a male only local trip. Took the cut slats for a fit test, perfect. While in the Escape with the table removed I decided to check the batteries. The butyl tape around the wire opening is kind of brittle due to the temperature. Anyway, I put in about 10-12 oz in the 6 holes. The plates were covered and this was the second time water was added since possession in early May. Added a small piece and butyl and resealed the box.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #374

Finished some detail work and tried the storm window out for fit. Fits like a glove. I might put some retaining brackets on the bottom. The top is captive and can't fall off.

I knew that I'd find a use for the neoprene off an old floater coat. Made corner pieces that go over the shade brackets. This project was a junk box special. Didn't spend a penny.

I might have to spend a night in my driveway to test it out. Overall I'm happy with it and I think that it'll be a big improvement.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0021 (2)_resize.JPG   IMGP0022 (2)_resize.JPG   IMGP0023 (2)_resize.jpg   IMGP0024 (2)_resize.JPG  
Old 11-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #375

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Have said it before- I would never stay at a Walmart, Rest Area or the like. It has been documented for decades that Rest Areas in particular can be a dangerous place as they are proximate to Expressways/Freeways.

If we need a place to en route camp briefly we will look for a church parking lot.
So with you Ross on this . Just driving could tell you a few almost happenings at rest stops . When it is getting dark even driving go to a rest room at restaurant Not a rest stop . Pat
Old 11-16-2019, 08:40 AM   #376

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
While travelling, I have stopped at many a Walmart, Superstore, fuel station, etc, for a evening stopover and never felt a concern for safety. Now, bright lights, learned to park to avoid them shining in.

I have also used arenas, community centre, BLM land, or pulled off on a side rural road. Not too fussy. Never used a church parking lot, but not a bad idea.

I rarely pull into a campground for an overnight stay, unless the stay is more than a few hours of sleep time, but we all have our own ways.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #377

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Over the past 5 years of traveling full-time, we have parked overnight in many Walmarts, Cabelas, Flying Js, Loves, Cracker Barrels and never felt like we were in danger. Just my two cents.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Old 11-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #378

I can relate.... Here, it was another scary Cracker Barrel night in Boise.
Attached Thumbnails
Cracker.jpg  
Old 11-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #379

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
For all you naysayers Glad you never experienced anything . But once and then twice your life had been in danger , you don’t assume anything and don’t take those kind of chances anymore to save a couple of bucks .must of being doing something right or had a angel watching out because it was about to end very badly . Good luck and hope it doesn’t happen to you . Pat
Old 11-16-2019, 12:40 PM   #380

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
For all you naysayers Glad you never experienced anything . But once and then twice your life had been in danger , you don’t assume anything and don’t take those kind of chances anymore to save a couple of bucks .must of being doing something right or had a angel watching out because it was about to end very badly . Good luck and hope it doesn’t happen to you . Pat
Part, for me it has very little to do with saving money, it is more for the convenience, as finding and getting to a real campground, while making distance and time, can be tough and often a big hassle.

Besides, I have yet to stay in a campground where I found a local newspaper stuffed in my truck door handle, but I have had that happen at a Walmart.

We each have our own practices, feelings and desires on how we do things. There have been many folks expressing concern about their safety in many situations related to RVing. I know stuff can happen, but my choice is to not worry about it very much unless very serious situation. May be weird, but works good for me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Closed Thread