What did you do for your Escape today..... - Page 20 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #381

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Part, for me it has very little to do with saving money, it is more for the convenience, as finding and getting to a real campground, while making distance and time, can be tough and often a big hassle.

Besides, I have yet to stay in a campground where I found a local newspaper stuffed in my truck door handle, but I have had that happen at a Walmart.

We each have our own practices, feelings and desires on how we do things. There have been many folks expressing concern about their safety in many situations related to RVing. I know stuff can happen, but my choice is to not worry about it very much unless very serious situation. May be weird, but works good for me.
Jim things actually were going down . You know what though I think men and women really think differently about this stuff . When we were younger could drive longer distances and in the night too. That was already covered . Now we just take more time , get off the road earlier , rest up and cover more miles the next day . I guess for a lot of newbies want them to know to be aware . On the road with our trailers, stuff , money etc we are very much a target and the not so nice people out there know it. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #382

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Part, for me it has very little to do with saving money, it is more for the convenience, as finding and getting to a real campground, while making distance and time, can be tough and often a big hassle.

Besides, I have yet to stay in a campground where I found a local newspaper stuffed in my truck door handle, but I have had that happen at a Walmart.

We each have our own practices, feelings and desires on how we do things. There have been many folks expressing concern about their safety in many situations related to RVing. I know stuff can happen, but my choice is to not worry about it very much unless very serious situation. May be weird, but works good for me.
What, they've never given me a morning paper, I'm going to complain.

Gee, do I have to say that I completely agree with Jim? When you're making tracks and just want to stop for the night going to a campground is probably the last thing I'd want to be do, other places along the way offer complete flexibility when you stop for the night.

Sometimes you meet fellow Escapes and sometimes like at the Valley Center mall in Oregon, where you're given two nights stay in the back parking lot by the river. We don't just stop anywhere. After a while you get to know the good spots.

And, of course, there's the difference is risk tolerance among folks. Some may not have visited a South American city after they read the tourists warnings about "strangle muggings" . Have to say it did add an edge to walking the dark streets at night.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P2020002_resize.jpg   P2200265_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #383

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just curious. Do you check exits for a fire escape route when you go to a campground? I've had to evacuate one campground at 2am ( leaving tent trailer behind ) and my buddy has had to evacuate the same campground twice. There is only one road in and out. Second fire, my buddy and the other campers had to leave their trailers, cross the river and walk out.
Attached Thumbnails
Kettle rear view.jpg   Kettle 2016.jpg  
Old 11-16-2019, 04:57 PM   #384

Worked on re-purposing my old tilting-swiveling solar panel mount from the 19.

The bottom section, up to window level stays permanently in place. Who knows, I might also use it for one of those tall, tall poles that folks use as flag poles at Q'site. Maybe 5' higher so the Canadian flag is the highest.

The lower section allows me to swivel the panel to follow the sun during the day. Yah, I know, it sounds like more work than most folks would want to do. But I've been doing it for almost 30 years and it's second nature to me. I can walk by, tweak the panel aim and keep going without thinking about it.

On the 19 I had a solid panel and it was getting heavier by the year to put up and down. I'll by using a flexible panel on this set-up also with flexible on the roof.

In the unlikely event that I'm in total shade the tilting panel can also act as a portable panel.

Amazon, where are you? I need my panels now.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0026_resize.JPG   IMGP0028_resize.JPG   IMGP0027_resize.JPG  
Old 11-17-2019, 05:56 PM   #385

Still thinking about ways to cut down on condensation. One item that's always caught my attention is the inch of protruding window frame. On the window by the bed that's .87 of a square foot of colder area for moist air to condense on.

So I had a surplus of foam tape. I wrapped the rim of the window by the bed, the one most likely to have condensation after a cool night, with foam. Didn't cost anything, can't hurt and I'll see after our first night in cool weather if there's any visible difference between it and the other windows.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0029_resize.JPG   IMGP0030_resize.JPG  
Old 11-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #386

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Ron, which windows do you have framed or frameless?
Old 11-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #387

The ones that you can open and get good ventilation. (framed)

Ron
Old 11-17-2019, 07:05 PM   #388

Trailer: 2006 Travel Supreme Spartan Diesel Pusher
Just normal Escape Bath with my youngest son.

Anyway, During our LA trip, we have witnessed a shocking car accident in a crossing road. Of course we help as we wait for emergency/ first aider to arrive. Later on they found out that the driver of 4x4 ranger was in the influence of alcohol.

Then it came to my mind if this happen to me, a car accident los angeles or somehere - how can we handle this kind of situation.

So what basically I did for my escape today was to post a list of rights and laws regarding car accident. I also create a list of attorneys with good reputation handling car accidents reports.

So now my RV is equipped with knowledge. Just wanted to share this to you guys.

Hope this could help.
Stefagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #389

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The ones that you can open and get good ventilation. (framed)

Ron
Okay, now I understand why you need to make the changes,,,,,
Old 11-17-2019, 07:49 PM   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Okay, now I understand why you need to make the changes,,,,,
Don’t know if Ron’s front window where the bed is but our front window is only single pane , not like the rest of our framed windows , double pane .Made that better by insulating the outside cover . So when closed not much condensation . Using the max fan and kitchen window open really cuts condensation everywhere else in trailer . In any case , we love our framed windows and don’t see that a problem . No worries they might fall apart either . Oliver and many high end rv’s still use framed . I prefer function over looks . I know lots of you love your new windows , but we also love ours . Pat
Old 11-17-2019, 08:43 PM   #391

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Here is a quickie - I added a spacer under the bottom of the EMS display so it tilts up enough so I don't have to stand on my head to see the top element of the digital display.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:53 PM   #392

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Drove into mainland Mexico today, down to San Carlos, Sonora, it is 5 hours south of Nogales, AZ. Spent about an hour at Km 21 importing our truck and trailer. If San Carlos is your destination all you need is your tourist card, about $32US these days. A 10 year import of the trailer is $50US approx, when you leave Mexico with the trailer turn this import paperwork in, or else you cannot enter again. We also paid about $400US to import our truck for 6 months. When leaving Mexico this deposit, less $50US is returned to you.

We'll be in the San Carlos area for 2 nights, then head further south to Mazatlan. Our last night in Nogales, AZ was cool in the mid 50's, looks like San Carlos will be slightly warmer. This part of the Sea of Cortez has very cool winters. We have seen snow here in Dec before.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:17 PM   #393

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Fred, the absolute best night's sleep I've ever had in our 19' out of hundreds of nights of camping in many states was at a K-Mart at Pismo Beach, CA. I don't know why but for some reason it was just great. However, I alway C.C. while camping in places unknown!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Over the past 5 years of traveling full-time, we have parked overnight in many Walmarts, Cabelas, Flying Js, Loves, Cracker Barrels and never felt like we were in danger. Just my two cents.

Fred M.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:30 PM   #394

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
However, I alway C.C. while camping in places unknown!...

Is that code for concealed carry?
Old 11-18-2019, 02:14 PM   #395

Played detective. I had already removed the small panel at the foot of the bed to do my hot water tank switch mod. It came off in 5 pieces. So I made it into a one piece easily removable panel. I may want to run more wires back to front on that side.

Couldn't help but notice that the exterior light appeared to be in that area. So I measured, using the window as a reference point, and sure enough it seemed like it would be directly behind the panel. Not visible so I pulled the white foam out and sure enough, there's the wiring for the light. Much easier location than the 19 was. So I'll tap into it and run the wires to a switch on the same panel that I made for the hot water tank. Nice to catch a break sometimes.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0001_resize.JPG   IMGP0002_resize.JPG  
Old 11-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #396

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
if i'm sleeping anywhere that seems the least bit worrisome (which rarely happens) I keep my car keys near me at night. hitting the red button would certainly bring attention, and presumably, help.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:32 PM   #397

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
if i'm sleeping anywhere that seems the least bit worrisome (which rarely happens) I keep my car keys near me at night. hitting the red button would certainly bring attention, and presumably, help.
That’s a great idea , Barbra ! Pat
Old 11-18-2019, 04:39 PM   #398

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Having camped in a trailer lots for almost 30 years, and a tent hordes for 15 years before and during that time, this has fortunately never even been a concern. I have to be honest though, I am the type that prefers not to worry.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:03 PM   #399

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
For us it is not worry as much as being selective and not wanting unnecessary annoyances- bright lights in a parking lot would definitely be one of them. Also, try to avoid any herd mentality.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:30 PM   #400

My F150 tailgate and the handle of my tongue jack were way too chummy for my liking. I could have extended the stinger but I like to keep it as short as possible.

So I adapted the jack to take a removable handle. As others have, I've done this mod. before. I don't do it to be able to use my impact drill to raise and lower it, I don't think that the quality is good enough for that. However I might use it for fast up and down just not for the final tweaking. And don't chime in how much you love your power jack. I don't want one, now or ever.

I was happy to see one tiny increase in quality. Last time I did this mod. the rear end of the gear shaft used the thin sheet metal as the bushing. Pretty low quality. However now they've started putting in a rear bushing. However I don't see any evidence that they put a dab of grease on it.

So still have to make the crank. Maybe I'll keep it simple but the wood handle part might look nice in Tennessee Aromatic Cedar. As always for my mods. it depends on what I find in the scrap box.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0020_resize.JPG   IMGP0021_resize.jpg   IMGP0022_resize.JPG   IMGP0023_resize.JPG