What did you do for your Escape today..... - Page 23 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2019, 09:44 PM   #441

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
One obvious reason is the water leaks can cause problems if they reach the bare plywood below.

But another question is: what exactly is the screen supposed to do? Most insects could get through the mesh and down below there isn't a metal screen and if a rodent couldn't squeeze through the existing openings they could enlarge them a bit by chewing on them.

If I had a suitable s/s screen I'd cut out the existing one leaving a 1/2" around the perimeter, lay the new one over it and fasten it with pieces of the existing one. Since I have the area opened up I'll probably just brush it with Tremclad. That should preserve it for awhile.

Ron
If you waterproof all the wood surfaces in the fridge cavity, you don't have to worry about water getting in. Doesn't hurt the operation of the fridge any either.

I have not had any problem with insects entering the top screen but the bottom vent is another matter.

The vent panel at the bottom is a great place for mud daubers to enter and make a mess. Adding screens to the bottom vents is a good idea.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While you are at it, recently I spent two days on a friends trailer getting a mud dauber nest out of his furnace vent. You might want to add this too.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Fridge Compartment.jpg   roof vent.jpg  
Old 11-28-2019, 10:23 PM   #442

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
If you waterproof all the wood surfaces in the fridge cavity, you don't have to worry about water getting in. Doesn't hurt the operation of the fridge any either.
Bin there, done that in spades on my 19 Fortunately the new 21 doesn't have the same situation where the entire back wall is untreated plywood.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0284_resize.JPG   IMGP0295_resize.JPG   IMGP0297_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:18 AM   #443

Trailer: 2020 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
well, congrats on the momentous occasion! any particular customization or options? will you be using mainly in Alaska?

Lots of options and all over Alaska, NWT and the Yukon
ValdezAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:29 PM   #444

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Bin there, done that in spades on my 19 Fortunately the new 21 doesn't have the same situation where the entire back wall is untreated plywood.

Ron
Looking in from the lower vent on my 21, I could see a LOT of unprotected wood paneling. When I pulled the fridge, the back wall was covered with reflectix but the sides were not .

With the humidity we have here in Houston, exposed wood turns black in a short time and rots. So, the fridge cavity got complete coverage with reflectix and taped such that all exposed surfaces are waterproof.

Now, no worries!

ps. You will love the way the new fridge cools compared to the one you had in the 19. That was a lot of work you went through to try to correct a poorly designed fridge.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:06 PM   #445

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Started working on a handle for the stabilizer crank. I hate putting end pressure on the crank so it won't jump off the hex head and having the rubber end rubbing in the palm of my hand.

When it warmed up enough I installed a flexible conduit down the fridge chase for my solar panel wiring. Well, warmed up is a relative term. You can see ice still glistening on the roof. Good thing I love doing mods.

No worries about cutting the rusty mesh. I found some nice s/s mesh in my junk bin.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0048_resize.jpg   IMGP0049_resize.JPG   IMGP0047_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:38 PM   #446

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
But another question is: what exactly is the screen supposed to do? Most insects could get through the mesh and down below there isn't a metal screen and if a rodent couldn't squeeze through the existing openings they could enlarge them a bit by chewing on them.
In my commercial work with building louvers that mesh size would be considered a bird screen. Will keep out small birds and leaves.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:53 PM   #447

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Started working on a handle for the stabilizer crank. I hate putting end pressure on the crank so it won't jump off the hex head and having the rubber end rubbing in the palm of my hand.

When it warmed up enough I installed a flexible conduit down the fridge chase for my solar panel wiring. Well, warmed up is a relative term. You can see ice still glistening on the roof. Good thing I love doing mods.

No worries about cutting the rusty mesh. I found some nice s/s mesh in my junk bin.

Ron
I remember getting some grief from a neighbor at 2014 Osoyoos Rally(nice Canutian) because I was using a cordless drill to lower my stabilizers. What's way worse IMO is the hand crank tongue jack. Good way to get a shoulder problem when pushing 70.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:28 PM   #448

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I remember getting some grief from a neighbor at 2014 Osoyoos Rally(nice Canutian) because I was using a cordless drill to lower my stabilizers. What's way worse IMO is the hand crank tongue jack. Good way to get a shoulder problem when pushing 70.
Who ‘s pushing 70 Ross ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:34 PM   #449

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Not me...
Old 11-30-2019, 07:19 AM   #450

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:

Ron
I'm sure if you made a batch of those nice, wooden, stabilizer ends you could get some beer money for them......
Old 11-30-2019, 09:08 AM   #451

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I can see 70 in the rear view mirror but do not use a drill on my stabilizers. I don’t have any criticism for those who do, but Rita does such a nice job. I do however, really like our power tongue jack which was installed by the previous owner (AZ Jack). My shoulders are still pretty good, having been strengthened by carrying bosses for many years. I hear someone using a drill driver on the stabilizers I just think, Well, another camper setting up , wonder what he’s camping in and where he’s from. Now woodpeckers, they can irritate a guy.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-30-2019, 10:18 AM   #452

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I bought this yesterday-- at that price, hard to resist. And by my son's suggestion, got some 2 inch wide safety walk slip resistant tape for the top surface. I plan to use the platform to make washing easier and less hazardous, and if i do take it along, for use as an elegant drink and appetizer table. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-...P-47/305590237
Old 11-30-2019, 12:34 PM   #453

That looks pretty handy to have around the house also. Just ordered one myself, thanks for the lead....
Old 11-30-2019, 12:38 PM   #454

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
I bought this yesterday-- at that price, hard to resist. And by my son's suggestion, got some 2 inch wide safety walk slip resistant tape for the top surface. I plan to use the platform to make washing easier and less hazardous, and if i do take it along, for use as an elegant drink and appetizer table. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-...P-47/305590237

Good idea! I'm only 5'2" so am wondering if I need something taller to wash the top of my high axel 17B.

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:33 PM   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I installed the reflectix to the underside of the window awning, so when open it lifts up....
I appreciate a simple fix. How did you affix the reflectix? Velcro?

Old 11-30-2019, 02:31 PM   #456

My 19 had two frame supports, each about a 1/3 in from sides. One piece of reflectix was easily attached. Others have used rigid foam with success. You can also just cut a piece of foam or reflectix and insert between the cover and the single pane window glass. A lot of simple fixes....
Old 11-30-2019, 02:33 PM   #457

Quote:
My 19 had two frame supports, each about a 1/3 in from sides. One piece of reflectix was easily attached. Others have used rigid foam with success. You can also just cut a piece of foam or reflectix and insert between the cover and the single pane window glass. A lot of simple fixes....
I'm trying to remember if there was space behind the supports, if so slip it behind. Otherwise velcro would work...I had 2 E19's and did this to both....
Old 11-30-2019, 02:36 PM   #458

Quote:
I'm trying to remember if there was space behind the supports, if so slip it behind. Otherwise velcro would work...I had 2 E19's and did this to both....
Thanks, Jim!

Old 11-30-2019, 03:18 PM   #459

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Not exactly for my Escape, a new shirt for me...should arrive just in time to have it for the Matagorda Madness rally next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Shirt back.jpg  
Old 11-30-2019, 03:26 PM   #460

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
That's pretty kewl, David!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote