What did you do for your Escape today..... - Page 48 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 09:49 AM   #941

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukwilma View Post
This isn't really the first thing we've done, but the first really notable thing. We moved our batteries from the front storage box to inside the front bench box. Phewf! Now we have more space in the front storage box, and the batteries inside where they're a little less susceptible to a walk-about.

Very nice setup.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:50 AM   #942

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukwilma View Post
Yes - I didn't say it, but those are the Battleborn LiFePO. And that's part of my concerns about the "walk-about." They're the most expensive accessory we've got!
You might want to check your tongue weight. You have dumped close to 100 pounds of tongue weight by switching to Battleborn batteries & moving them inside. The 19 tends to be a bit tongue light which is why the lead acid batteries were moved to the tongue box.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:13 AM   #943

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
Anticipating an excursion in central Vancouver Island mid-August with 2 grandparents, 2 parents and 2 grandsons under the age of 6.
Should be fun...or a disaster to be remembered.
We regularly camp with our 2 granddaughters, aged 8 and almost 5. The oldest started camping at 3, the younger started on her 1st birthday. They and we love our camping trips. My tips:
  • bring lots of clothes for the GKs - they will get wet & dirty, even if there is no dirt or water around.

let them help as much as possible. There are all kinds of tasks that they will find interesting - if they can do it safely, let them try, even if you have to redo it later.

temper your expectations. The most important thing is that everyone have fun, and that often means taking a trip back to childhood and finding the joy in just throwing rocks in the water and burning sticks in the fire.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:19 AM   #944

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
You might want to check your tongue weight. You have dumped close to 100 pounds of tongue weight by switching to Battleborn batteries & moving them inside. The 19 tends to be a bit tongue light which is why the lead acid batteries were moved to the tongue box.
Good point, but since this is a 21 NE not sure if it has the same issue as the 19, anyone know? Definitely always worth checking though on any trailer.
We’re moving to battleborns inside on our 19, but will be adding aluminum truck box on tongue where the batteries were. The weight with the box n contents should exceed the batteries and offset.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:17 PM   #945

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Good point, but since this is a 21 NE not sure if it has the same issue as the 19, anyone know? Definitely always worth checking though on any trailer.
We’re moving to battleborns inside on our 19, but will be adding aluminum truck box on tongue where the batteries were. The weight with the box n contents should exceed the batteries and offset.

That brings up a good point on the 21 with all the extra weight up front it will most likely have more tongue weight.

On the 19 escape will sell that trailer with just one 12 volt battery up front and no storage box about 50lbs. I would think that that would have the minimum tongue weight.

In my case I going to place my honda 2000! in the storage box. this will replace about 50lbs. plus the weight of the storage box itself. I think i going to get a scale to see the affects .
Old 07-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #946

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Replaced the loft escape hatch for cracks. Not a fun job if you are a bit overweight. And reanchored the propane tank tray which had pulled loose from the plywood.

Here's the part if anyone needs to do the same. Make sure you measure yours. ETI gave me the number for the mid size one when my 2014 uses the smaller.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-09-2020, 04:29 PM   #947

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Replaced the loft escape hatch for cracks. Not a fun job if you are a bit overweight. And reanchored the propane tank tray which had pulled loose from the plywood.

Here's the part if anyone needs to do the same. Make sure you measure yours. ETI gave me the number for the mid size one when my 2014 uses the smaller.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Did that once on our camper A pain in the A..!Pat
Old 07-09-2020, 05:37 PM   #948

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
We regularly camp with our 2 granddaughters, aged 8 and almost 5. The oldest started camping at 3, the younger started on her 1st birthday. They and we love our camping trips. My tips:
  • bring lots of clothes for the GKs - they will get wet & dirty, even if there is no dirt or water around.

let them help as much as possible. There are all kinds of tasks that they will find interesting - if they can do it safely, let them try, even if you have to redo it later.

temper your expectations. The most important thing is that everyone have fun, and that often means taking a trip back to childhood and finding the joy in just throwing rocks in the water and burning sticks in the fire.
Excellent advice! How fortunate your grandchildren are!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-11-2020, 08:01 AM   #949

One never out grows burning sticks in the fire.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:28 AM   #950

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I notice a number of owners have built in electric heaters into the foot of the bed. Don't you have any concern about the quilts or blankets covering the heater? I know mine often ends up hanging almost to the floor at times...
We use an RV sleeping bag. Like Super Bag. Not an issue with that hanging down. Also adjusted vents to direct above the floor.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
Old 07-11-2020, 10:25 AM   #951

Trailer: 2018 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
We use an RV sleeping bag. Like Super Bag. Not an issue with that hanging down. Also adjusted vents to direct above the floor.
We've got the Bed Bag and liked it so much we now have one on the bed at home!
Old 07-11-2020, 11:11 AM   #952
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Yesterday I washed my trailer. Up and down the ladder a gazillion times and I didn't fall off! Took six hours. My back aches, my arms ache... I was going to wax today. Think I'll take a nap instead.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:18 AM   #953

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post

Grand Kids and camping. Slow down. Go
fly a Kite.
Attached Thumbnails
20200617_170912a.jpg  
Old 07-11-2020, 12:18 PM   #954

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Pace yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yesterday I washed my trailer. Up and down the ladder a gazillion times and I didn't fall off! Took six hours. My back aches, my arms ache... I was going to wax today. Think I'll take a nap instead.
We worked hard as kids growing up. But my dad seemed to have an innate sense of judging fatigue and flagging interest. So, while we thought we’d have to finish every job we started , it was common to get about 2/3 done and he’d stop us and announce it was enough for the day or the morning or whatever. Plenty of cold water, usually an ice cream treat on the way home. We’d stop at the filling station where he worked and he’d have some Eskimo Pies stashed in the ice house. We would have the afternoon to screw off while he went in to work at noon and worked till ten PM. On his way out the door he’d offer up, “ Wouldn’t hurt to mow that grass after supper tonight.” It seemed very fair and we would get our tiny yard mowed in about a half an hour.
From working on haying crews in the 30’s, Dad would often say, “Don’t burn yourself out in June or you won’t be worth a damn all summer.” 60 years later I know what he meant.
So Take a break Donna, you earned it.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #955

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Bed Step

Azjack's son came to Q'site last year with his F150 and had an Amp Research bed step. Thought it was pretty neat and much better than using a plastic step stool. Easy to use and much stronger.

This year he came to Q'site and again we admired it. Since I hadn't gotten off my butt and ordered one M. gave me one as an anniversary present.

Easy to use, touch it with your toe for up or down. Allows reaching into the box without opening the tailgate when the trailer's attached. Wish I'd gotten it sooner.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P7130008_resize.jpg   P7130009_resize.jpg  
Old 07-13-2020, 01:19 PM   #956
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
re: step, we use a step like this with our Escape as my wife has knee and balance issues, and this is SO much more stable than the retractable step...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G258I0G

so if I need to get into the rather high bed of my F250 4x4, I just use it for that, too.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:58 PM   #957

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
re: step, we use a step like this with our Escape as my wife has knee and balance issues, and this is SO much more stable than the retractable step...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G258I0G

so if I need to get into the rather high bed of my F250 4x4, I just use it for that, too.
Fortunately we don't have any physical limitations.

Not sure about stability as a footstool on the ground can be a little rocky sometimes but just being able to have it usable in a second is so much more handy than dragging out a stool.

Ron
Old 07-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Azjack's son came to Q'site last year with his F150 and had an Amp Research bed step. Thought it was pretty neat and much better than using a plastic step stool. Easy to use and much stronger.

This year he came to Q'site and again we admired it. Since I hadn't gotten off my butt and ordered one M. gave me one as an anniversary present.

Easy to use, touch it with your toe for up or down. Allows reaching into the box without opening the tailgate when the trailer's attached. Wish I'd gotten it sooner.

Ron

I got a set of bed side steps similar to yours on my F150 when I ordered it. Don't use them much but they are handy to have when you need em, especially with the 8' bed. After 8 years and 100k they no longer come out at the touch of the foot like they used to. Guess it needs new cylinders, but as tugging it a bit works I'm alright with them.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:28 PM   #959

Portable Black Tank

This was a no cost, hardly any time project. I had an old junked sewer hose and this empty cat litter bucket, don't know why, I don't even opps, better not say that.

I've made other portable tanks previously and never needed them but they're handy to have if you're staying in one spot for an extended time. Gives the option of draining off about 3 gals. and maybe taking it somewhere to dump.

Based on past usage it might never get used but the buckets a handy size and might get used for other things.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0034_resize.JPG   IMGP0035_resize.jpg  
Old 07-14-2020, 02:40 PM   #960

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
This was a no cost, hardly any time project. I had an old junked sewer hose and this empty cat litter bucket, don't know why, I don't even opps, better not say that.

I've made other portable tanks previously and never needed them but they're handy to have if you're staying in one spot for an extended time. Gives the option of draining off about 3 gals. and maybe taking it somewhere to dump.

Based on past usage it might never get used but the buckets a handy size and might get used for other things.

Ron
Neat idea Ron ! Yes those litter containers are very useful even though we don’t have any .... I would use for grey water myself . Pat
Closed Thread