What did you do for your Escape today..... - Page 49 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-14-2020, 02:47 PM   #961
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 23,787
WE have 4 cats and probably a dozen of these at any time. Great idea. I hate throwing/recycling them away, they are so sturdy, I use them for electrical cord storage, excess dry dog food storage, bird seed storage and just plain water bucket for washing the cars.
__________________

__________________
Jim
What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals....
Goethe
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:56 PM   #962
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 4,544
I installed a Micro-Air Easy Start on my 11,000 BTU Penguin II air conditioner. I purchased it from Hutch Mountain (who makes a decent propane conversion kit & accessories for Honda generators). I like that they put the regulator on the propane tank end rather than bolting it to the generator.

Good on line instructions, as well as a bunch of YouTube videos. Instructions for the Dometic family of ACs,

Put FATE in the coupon box when checking out & you save $15.00.

No compressor start up "thunk" anymore. In fact, during the 5 start/stop learning process, the only way I could tell the compressor was starting was by watching the current on the EMS. Quieter starts, and improved running on small generators.
__________________

__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:59 PM   #963
Senior Member
 
Ronn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I got a set of bed side steps similar to yours on my F150 when I ordered it. Don't use them much but they are handy to have when you need em, especially with the 8' bed. After 8 years and 100k they no longer come out at the touch of the foot like they used to. Guess it needs new cylinders, but as tugging it a bit works I'm alright with them.
Our F150 has the side steps as well, I like them and do use them regularly. After fighting their operation last year I cleaned them up and used this silicone spray. So far no problems operating them now.

I also have the tailgate step, had I bought new I would never have ordered the side steps nor tailgate step, but I would now after having them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images
File Type: png download.png (4.9 KB, 217 views)
__________________
The Sweet Suite
Ronn and Colleen
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 6,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
After 8 years and 100k they no longer come out at the touch of the foot like they used to. Guess it needs new cylinders, but as tugging it a bit works I'm alright with them.
Same brand? Because mine doesn't have any cylinders. The operating principle is a spring pushing on an over centered lever. I could see in a few years that maybe a shot of cleaning and lube might be needed but there's no cylinder to fail.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:15 PM   #965
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 6,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
WE have 4 cats and probably a dozen of these at any time. Great idea. I hate throwing/recycling them away, they are so sturdy, I use them for electrical cord storage, excess dry dog food storage, bird seed storage and just plain water bucket for washing the cars.
I have a friend with a restaurant and strangely enough his olives come in the exact same bucket. I'll grab one today. Wouldn't want anyone seeing the cat litter one and thinking that I must be a cat lover and proceed to tell me about the greatest cat video they just watched on youtube.

A very sturdy bucket and the lid clamps on very securely. An important aspect considering it's intended use.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:33 PM   #966
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 3,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I have a friend with a restaurant and strangely enough his olives come in the exact same bucket. I'll grab one today. Wouldn't want anyone seeing the cat litter one and thinking that I must be a cat lover and proceed to tell me about the greatest cat video they just watched on youtube.

A very sturdy bucket and the lid clamps on very securely. An important aspect considering it's intended use.

Ron
Not to mention you probably don't want to be seen dumping a cat litter bucket in questionable spots.
Cool step up for the F-150...
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:52 PM   #967
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 23,787
These things are versatile and strong, you can stand on them, sit on them stack them 2 high for floor space saving
__________________
Jim
What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals....
Goethe
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:35 PM   #968
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Posts: 2,469
Decided to retire my FJ and purchased a new 4Runner which will be used for towing my Escape trailers. Seems a bit high tech compared to what I am used to, but I guess you don't really have much choice anymore about whether all of the electronics crap is included with your purchase. Have not tried it out towing yet but will likely be doing so in the coming weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200712_163853.jpg (403.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg FJ.jpg (353.8 KB, 7 views)
__________________
2013 19' \ 2013 15B, 2020 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:51 PM   #969
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Decided to retire my FJ and purchased a new 4Runner which will be used for towing my Escape trailers. Seems a bit high tech compared to what I am used to, but I guess you don't really have much choice anymore about whether all of the electronics crap is included with your purchase. Have not tried it out towing yet but will likely be doing so in the coming weeks.
Beautiful 4 runner Dave ! Think you will love it ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:56 PM   #970
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 23,787
I'm sorry I got rid of my FJ, but the Forerunner is a great replacement.
__________________
Jim
What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals....
Goethe
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:08 PM   #971
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Posts: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm sorry I got rid of my FJ, but the Forerunner is a great replacement.
Well, it didn't leave the family entirely. My oldest son has taken the FJ so I may still see it occasionally.
__________________
2013 19' \ 2013 15B, 2020 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:17 PM   #972
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Posts: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Beautiful 4 runner Dave ! Think you will love it ! Pat
Of all the cars and trucks that I have owned, the FJ has easily been my favorite. It was actually really hard to give it up. So far, the 4Runner does not seem to live up to the appeal that the FJ had, but I am hoping that it will grow on me with time. I looked at many other alternatives to the 4Runner and I had even less enthusiasm for other options, so the 4Runner won out. Maybe I just need to put some big aggressive tires on the 4Runner, a small lift kit, and one of these TRD Pro roof racks (which will make it look more like an FJ), and it is sure to have more appeal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRD_PRO_ROOF_RACK.jpg (29.2 KB, 4 views)
__________________
2013 19' \ 2013 15B, 2020 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:36 PM   #973
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Posts: 7,118
The new Bronco looks pretty cool, once it comes out.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #974
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Naples, New York
Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Decided to retire my FJ and purchased a new 4Runner which will be used for towing my Escape trailers. Seems a bit high tech compared to what I am used to, but I guess you don't really have much choice anymore about whether all of the electronics crap is included with your purchase. Have not tried it out towing yet but will likely be doing so in the coming weeks.



Like the looks of that 4 runner. I look forward to the tow report. Been thinking maybe next year getting into a 4 runner.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:28 PM   #975
Senior Member
 
Ronn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Posts: 830
Screen Door's "Window" Knob

Apparently in the past the screen door on the Gen 2 Escapes had a knob for the screen door "window". Our little window in the screen door needed extra attention when closing in order to line up with it's slot when we closed the little plastic window. At the 2019 Mississippi I saw a factory knob on Traverson's 2018 trailer.

I added a knob onto ours and it is an improvement when using the little "window". When the bugs are out, we use it to pass items in and out. The knobs are floor protectors I picked up at Home Depot. I cut a small V for the raised area on the inside knob.
__________________
The Sweet Suite
Ronn and Colleen
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:30 PM   #976
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Of all the cars and trucks that I have owned, the FJ has easily been my favorite. It was actually really hard to give it up. So far, the 4Runner does not seem to live up to the appeal that the FJ had, but I am hoping that it will grow on me with time. I looked at many other alternatives to the 4Runner and I had even less enthusiasm for other options, so the 4Runner won out. Maybe I just need to put some big aggressive tires on the 4Runner, a small lift kit, and one of these TRD Pro roof racks (which will make it look more like an FJ), and it is sure to have more appeal.
Dave the rack would look great for sure I hear you on the FJ my youngest has a very low mileage one she lives close to the hospital she works at , she is a RN It is a 2014 and I keep trying to talk her out of it No luck she loves it too much !
We always will remember our favorites , change is hard . Ask me with my old girl 1992 but if I need to change I will have too Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:03 PM   #977
Senior Member
 
dfandrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A -- "The Pullman"
Posts: 2,219
Door hinge repair

Well, today I got around to dealing with the loose screws on our 17A first generation's exterior door (aircraft style).
During our last trip, I found that the 3 screws holding the top hinge to the door had come loose. I tightened them, and then they were again loose when we got home.
So, today I replaced them with through bolts and elastic stop nuts (w/nylon inserts). I used #10-32 flathead bolts: (1) 3" long and (2) 1ľ" long. I also used my go-to caulk, Dynaflex 230, on the back of the hinge, and at screw heads and on the inside at backs of washers.
I just had to drill out the holes to 3/16", insert bolts, and fasten. The two shorter ones just cleared any interference with the door gaskets or door frame. (whew!).


P.S.: those are almost 5 year old hinges, with Aero303 used as the protective coating. They're looking good, with no signs of corrosion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Door inside.jpg (85.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Door outside.jpg (104.6 KB, 9 views)
__________________
Don & Teresa
2015 17A Classic: 2011 Honda Pilot
LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:53 PM   #978
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Well, today I got around to dealing with the loose screws on our 17A first generation's exterior door (aircraft style).
During our last trip, I found that the 3 screws holding the top hinge to the door had come loose. I tightened them, and then they were again loose when we got home.
So, today I replaced them with through bolts and elastic stop nuts (w/nylon inserts). I used #10-32 flathead bolts: (1) 3" long and (2) 1ľ" long. I also used my go-to caulk, Dynaflex 230, on the back of the hinge, and at screw heads and on the inside at backs of washers.
I just had to drill out the holes to 3/16", insert bolts, and fasten. The two shorter ones just cleared any interference with the door gaskets or door frame. (whew!).


P.S.: those are almost 5 year old hinges, with Aero303 used as the protective coating. They're looking good, with no signs of corrosion.
You were very lucky with the finish on the hinges . Must of had good plating . We tried everything no luck for us the Stainless look as new as the day I installed . Hopefully you wonít have anymore issues with your door . I felt the door could maybe crack the fiberglass , reason I didnít go that route . Found many thin areaís working on the trailer including the roof . The. Best fiberglass was bottom front corner on the trailer . Adding the washers and sealant should help . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:44 PM   #979
Senior Member
 
dfandrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A -- "The Pullman"
Posts: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
...... Hopefully you won’t have anymore issues with your door . I felt the door could maybe crack the fiberglass , reason I didn’t go that route . Found many thin area’s working on the trailer including the roof . The. Best fiberglass was bottom front corner on the trailer . Adding the washers and sealant should help . Pat
Pat,
I started with the single long hole, by drilling a smaller exploratory diameter hole. It went through some interior wood, then spalled upon exit of the interior fiberglass. I took care of that with a countersink bit. Then, enlarged the hole to the full 3/16" dia., and got smooth edges.
The two smaller holes went through only plastic/fiberglass, as near as I could tell. No spalling!! Yea!
I have noticed a variation in thicknesses here and there around the trailer, but nothing that alarmed me.

Like Ross mentioned the other day, I think I got a trailer that was built in the middle of the week, 'cause it all works fine.
__________________
Don & Teresa
2015 17A Classic: 2011 Honda Pilot
LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:55 PM   #980
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Pat,
I started with the single long hole, by drilling a smaller exploratory diameter hole. It went through some interior wood, then spalled upon exit of the interior fiberglass. I took care of that with a countersink bit. Then, enlarged the hole to the full 3/16" dia., and got smooth edges.
The two smaller holes went through only plastic/fiberglass, as near as I could tell. No spalling!! Yea!
I have noticed a variation in thicknesses here and there around the trailer, but nothing that alarmed me.

Like Ross mentioned the other day, I think I got a trailer that was built in the middle of the week, 'cause it all works fine.
Sounds Good Don ! I have some of the samples but it means nothing to anyone else or their trailers guess we were just unlucky but that was really the driving force of why I did what I did but really glad you caught the loose door before it got damaged . You addressed it that is what is important ! Pat
__________________

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×