What did you do for your Escape today..... - Page 50 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2020, 09:57 PM   #981

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Apparently in the past the screen door on the Gen 2 Escapes had a knob for the screen door "window". Our little window in the screen door needed extra attention when closing in order to line up with it's slot when we closed the little plastic window. At the 2019 Mississippi I saw a factory knob on Traverson's 2018 trailer.

I added a knob onto ours and it is an improvement when using the little "window". When the bugs are out, we use it to pass items in and out. The knobs are floor protectors I picked up at Home Depot. I cut a small V for the raised area on the inside knob.
Absolutely one of those mods that takes so little time and makes a large difference.

Hated trying to slide the pass through door sideways without also pushing it in and out of alignment.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0036_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:23 AM   #982

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post

Easy install - screw 3 12" 2"X4"'s to the floor to align the sled with the door & clear the plumbing, screw the sled to the 2"X4"'s (Charlie already countersunk the holes so the bin clears the heads).
Sorry, not much experience posting. trying to figure it all out.
Try this again... What size screws did you use to secure the 2 x 4's to the floor and the sled to the 2 x 4's?
wellduh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:08 AM   #983

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellduh326 View Post
Sorry, not much experience posting. trying to figure it all out.
Try this again... What size screws did you use to secure the 2 x 4's to the floor and the sled to the 2 x 4's?
2" sheet rock screws for the 2" X 4"s to the floor & 1" sheet rock for the sled. Charlie had already drilled & countersunk the holes in the sled...
Old 07-17-2020, 12:48 PM   #984

I was sort of amused when I saw that the exterior shower came with a garden nozzle. Sort of reminded me of when we were kids and squirting each other with the garden hose.

I took a half hearted look for an adapter that would allow me to use the supplied blue hose and the garden nozzle for something like washing off mud on boots etc.

Didn't see anything so I made an adapter that allows for the use of a typical hand held shower. This one is on the large size, if I find one locally that's the same size as the interior Escape on I'll swap it out.

Oh to be back in times where getting squirted with cold water provoked gales of laughter without a care in the world.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0037_resize.JPG   IMGP0038_resize.JPG  
Old 08-02-2020, 08:26 AM   #985

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Grey drain valve handle:
#1 apparently vibrated and fell off.
#2 replaced with plastic handle, loctite. First time I tried to open it the handle split at the screw opening. Installed too far, metal shaft stressed the plastic handle?
#3 (today) replaced with metal handle, loctite.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:59 AM   #986

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I had two grey handles broken off by road debris or gravel. After the second one, I saw the all metal ones and bought one. This handle has worked well and has suffered no damage. It’s been the way to go for me. About $6 at RV stores.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-02-2020, 04:37 PM   #987

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Atop the microwave cabinet door support

Yesterday I attempted to mount a gas spring like the ones used in our E19 for cabinet doors to hold open the overhead cabinet door above the microwave cabinet. I got a pair of the same units via Amazon. The overhead cabinet door above the microwave is the only one that does not have a gas spring. I'd wondered why.

It is too narrow in height to accommodate one. What I bought couldn't be used in this application. So, I improvised and used a scrap strip of American cherry wood and screwed it to the door frame. A couple of bumpers add opening swing. Dirt simple, dirt cheap, must be manually operated, but maybe that's why I have 2 hands.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4509.JPG  
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:28 PM   #988

Installing Captains' Lights

I like to lounge against the back wall and read but the dinette light isn't in the best position for that. Not bad but not great.

So I picked up a couple of Captains' Lights from ETI so they match the ones over the bed. Simple install. The shelf above is hollow and I could feed the wires through it, over to the edge and downwards.

I resisted just tapping into other wires that are there. I ran a dedicated circuit with adequate sized wire to allow for use of a small fan in the circuit if I decide to install one. Also just tapping in to anything available or going to the nearest power source and using an inline fuse looks like "homeowner" wiring.

The wires tuck nicely away with the existing ones and travel over to the panel hidden by the panel across the rear wall.

Always like projects that I can just go out, work on, done. Wish all projects were like that.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0046_resize.JPG   IMGP0047_resize.JPG   IMGP0048_resize.JPG   IMGP0049_resize.JPG  
Old 08-03-2020, 06:48 PM   #989
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Brakes

Noticed a shudder feeling last week when going downhill with medium braking at 45 mph; replicated this several times with the manual brake lever on the controller (no truck brakes.) Wondered if I had greased my brake shoes when I did the bearings, but that wouldn't make a shudder.

Only thing I could think of was brake drums - rig is 6 years old but not a huge amount of mileage. Had a local shop (Les Schwab) do a brake check / inspect / bearing repack on all 4 wheels. Shop only needed to down the drums 0.003 inch, but it seems to have fixed the problem. Cost was $425 total.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:59 PM   #990

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Noticed a shudder feeling last week when going downhill with medium braking at 45 mph; replicated this several times with the manual brake lever on the controller (no truck brakes.) Wondered if I had greased my brake shoes when I did the bearings, but that wouldn't make a shudder.

Only thing I could think of was brake drums - rig is 6 years old but not a huge amount of mileage. Had a local shop (Les Schwab) do a brake check / inspect / bearing repack on all 4 wheels. Shop only needed to down the drums 0.003 inch, but it seems to have fixed the problem. Cost was $425 total.
Hope we never need that done Charley ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:19 PM   #991

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Painted the inside of the front box.three coats of Tremclad white.Looks cleaner and brighter.Did not paint the lid.Time will tell if it will peel.It has been a couple of weeks, no problem.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:47 PM   #992
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I like to lounge against the back wall and read but the dinette light isn't in the best position for that. Not bad but not great.

So I picked up a couple of Captains' Lights from ETI so they match the ones over the bed. Simple install. The shelf above is hollow and I could feed the wires through it, over to the edge and downwards.

I resisted just tapping into other wires that are there. I ran a dedicated circuit with adequate sized wire to allow for use of a small fan in the circuit if I decide to install one. Also just tapping in to anything available or going to the nearest power source and using an inline fuse looks like "homeowner" wiring.

The wires tuck nicely away with the existing ones and travel over to the panel hidden by the panel across the rear wall.

Always like projects that I can just go out, work on, done. Wish all projects were like that.

Ron

FWIW, my E21 came with 4 captains lights... all the interior lighting is on two fuses, #2 and #3.

fuse #2 controls the lights on the curb side, and the stove hood fan+light. and the maxxfan, and the two forward center ceiling lights.

fuse #3 controls all 4 captains lights, the center/rear dinette lamp, the street side dinette lamp, and the rear of the 3 center ceiling lamps. and the bathroom light.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:39 PM   #993

They must have been more generous in Gen 1s in 2014 than Gen 2s in 2019. The lights over the bed were standard. The dinette reading lights were an option.

Generally speaking, I'd rather have any new items on a dedicated circuit, especially when there's room for another fuse on the panel, then mixed in with a multitude of other items with hidden connections here and there. In the unlikely event that there's ever a problem with the two lights troubleshooting will be very easy.

Ron
Old 08-03-2020, 10:43 PM   #994
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
They must have been more generous in Gen 1s in 2014 than Gen 2s in 2019. The lights over the bed were standard. The dinette reading lights were an option.

Generally speaking, I'd rather have any new items on a dedicated circuit, especially when there's room for another fuse on the panel, then mixed in with a multitude of other items with hidden connections here and there. In the unlikely event that there's ever a problem with the two lights troubleshooting will be very easy.

Ron
Those rear dinette captain's lights were an option. I think the three single flush mount lights were an option also but I'm not really sure. We bought the second hand almost new, and the lady we bought it from there her husband had died and they had bought this just before that along with her friends buying an identical one and they let their friends specify all the options so she really didn't know much about it. her attitude was they wanted it to be exactly like their friends so everything would be the same it's simple. When her husband died shortly thereafter, she realized it was just too much for her to deal with a loan and decide to sell it, her loss our gain.

Proceeding stream of consciousness brought to you courtesy of Google voice. I'm on my phone and I'm too lazy to edit
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:15 PM   #995

Kuma shelter

A friend has tens of thousands of air mile points and no use for them so he gave them to us. So along with a Breville grill we ordered a Kuma tent.

It doesn't have quite the rustic charm of a palapa but we don't always get one and we'll always have the Kuma with us. Looking forward to having a place that's more bug free than sitting out in the open. Also like the way it can provide a space that defines your area more clearly.

We got a laugh from the printed instructions. We'd watched the video previously. Unpacked it, thought that we'd glance at the instructions quickly, unusual for me . Gave up on that real fast, watched the youtube video again, much better.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P1240025_resize.jpg   IMGP0014_resize.JPG  
Old 08-12-2020, 12:49 PM   #996

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Ron - where did you get teh Kuma tent. It looks like a clam but perhaps a bit smaller? I am in BC too.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:41 PM   #997

Through the Air Miles rewards catalog.

The size was a bit of a surprise to us. Seems a little larger than we were expecting but, it's probably like a boat, when you start putting a lot of stuff and people in it, it can start feeling smaller pretty quick.

Ron
Old 08-12-2020, 01:46 PM   #998

Quote:
Through the Air Miles rewards catalog.

The size was a bit of a surprise to us. Seems a little larger than we were expecting but, it's probably like a boat, when you start putting a lot of stuff and people in it, it can start feeling smaller pretty quick.

Ron
Ron what size or dimensions is the Kuma ? Pat
Old 08-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #999

They list the dimensions as 11'-6" x 9'-10" and that seems about right although it's not a rectangle. We'd seen one recently and the entrance looked low so we wondered about the headroom. Turns out that it's higher than expected.

Going to be nice to sometimes cover up the picnic table.

Ron
Old 08-12-2020, 05:54 PM   #1000

Quote:
They list the dimensions as 11'-6" x 9'-10" and that seems about right although it's not a rectangle. We'd seen one recently and the entrance looked low so we wondered about the headroom. Turns out that it's higher than expected.

Going to be nice to sometimes cover up the picnic table.

Ron
Thanks Ron ! Pat