What did you do for your Escape today..... - Page 57 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2020, 01:52 PM   #1121

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Great idea, protects a vulnerable area from the elements................
Old 10-15-2020, 03:05 PM   #1122

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Gonna get me some; thanks Greg.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:18 PM   #1123

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
For those with the manual awning, there is a weak point where the threads and the fabric start to disintegrate with the elements right where the awing attaches to the awning rail.
I did a mod yesterday that should allow 2-3 more years out of my awing cloth and it's inexpensive and simple to do.
It took 2 rolls of the following wonderful tape product:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-...1895/311042860
This is a 4" wide tape and you need to apply carefully as it isn't easily removed. This is applied right up against the awning rail and covers all the threads and 4" out of awning material.
Came out so well and is pretty much not visible, that I will apply this whenever I get new awning cloth to protect that area.
Good remedial catch Greg, before it reached the point of no return. Yes, some of the tapes now available vastly exceed the tapes formerly available.

On both our 19 and 21 we put on a awning cover if the trailer is going to sit for awhile between uses and not long enough to bother putting the trailer cover on.

Even consider it worthwhile in our, umm, sometimes rainy climate but it would be even more useful for you folks in the sunbelt.

Gen 2 trailers would benefit even more because the recess for the either loved or hated power awning leaves more fabric exposed.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
02-06-2016 1-41-54 PM05_resizecropped.jpg   IMGP0001_resize.JPG   IMGP0019_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:52 PM   #1124

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
For those with the manual awning, there is a weak point where the threads and the fabric start to disintegrate with the elements right where the awing attaches to the awning rail.
I did a mod yesterday that should allow 2-3 more years out of my awing cloth and it's inexpensive and simple to do.
This is a 4" wide tape and you need to apply carefully as it isn't easily removed. This is applied right up against the awning rail and covers all the threads and 4" out of awning material.
Came out so well and is pretty much not visible, that I will apply this whenever I get new awning cloth to protect that area.
Great idea! The sun and water do a job on the threads. I can see some degradation on original 2010 19 awning but still holding on. Have always been impressed with anything made by Gorilla and will definitely consider this.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:48 PM   #1125

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Just for a laugh I found the same tape for sale on the Canadian Walmart page. Almost $80 plus $35 shipping!
Luckily it is available at a sane price elsewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
F963081A-4DF2-4E28-A85E-A5113A5D4BBA.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:57 PM   #1126

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Just for a laugh I found the same tape for sale on the Canadian Walmart page. Almost $80 plus $35 shipping!
Luckily it is available at a sane price elsewhere.
Wow, $8/foot is highway robbery.......
Old 10-15-2020, 05:33 PM   #1127

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Yup...with shipping and tax...over $12 per foot.
I did see it on Amazon.ca for $21 Canadian and the Gorilla products are widely available here so I am sure someone could find a better price.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:29 PM   #1128

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Sounds like a work party item, for all trailers in attendance at Quartzsite!!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:20 AM   #1129

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Great idea. I did something similar (but much smaller scale) on my 19' a couple of years ago. I had noticed that a small hole had appeared in my awning near the attachment point to the trailer and I used a piece of Eternabond tape that I had left over from my solar panel install on the 15B to patch the hole. It is still holding up well now about three years later. I think the Eternabond tape would work well as a patch at any location on your awning.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:27 AM   #1130

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Sounds like a work party item, for all trailers in attendance at Quartzsite!!
Yup, little work parties was one of the things I enjoyed at Q'site. But, sigh, here I am stuck in Canada, not normally a bad place to be, but wondering if I'll ever be able to travel south for events like Q'site.

Some of these new tapes are on the pricey side. I thought the price of Eternabond was outrageous at first. But now that I've used it and can see how well it works and lasts I think that it's good value for money.

Ron
Old 10-16-2020, 02:06 PM   #1131

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Great idea. I did something similar (but much smaller scale) on my 19' a couple of years ago. I had noticed that a small hole had appeared in my awning near the attachment point to the trailer and I used a piece of Eternabond tape that I had left over from my solar panel install on the 15B to patch the hole. It is still holding up well now about three years later. I think the Eternabond tape would work well as a patch at any location on your awning.
Hi Dave have used the Eternabond tape also for many years as well as our flexible solar installation. Another use was the lid on fantastic fan was cracked a couple years ago right at one of the hinges . Applied the tape and it is still holding . I received a replacement thanks to a forum member’s information but haven’t needed to replace yet . In past used also for sealing roofs etc. great tape ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:23 PM   #1132

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
For the flexible PV panel + Eternabond folks .... has anyone used the Doublestick Eternabond Tape under the perimeter of those panels in lieu of the single-stick tape lapping over the perimeter?

Just curious if that'd offer sufficient hold-down while being a bit 'cleaner' install?
Old 10-16-2020, 02:31 PM   #1133

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
For the flexible PV panel + Eternabond folks .... has anyone used the Doublestick Eternabond Tape under the perimeter of those panels in lieu of the single-stick tape lapping over the perimeter?

Just curious if that'd offer sufficient hold-down while being a bit 'cleaner' install?
Haven’t used the double sided yet but I am sure it would work great . Just making sure you are starting with clean surfaces for the tape but you probably know that already. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:24 AM   #1134

Cargo Box

Started making the top for my cargo box. Old time panel beaters would shake their head at my "cut and weld" treatment for the corners. Those with good panel making skills could have formed the rounded corners by shrinking and stretching them. Not me, been there done that building my car body and I'm not good at it.

I junked a 5' sheet metal brake after I finished my car. Sure could have used it for the top.

The rounded ends will echo the vertical rounded shape of the Escape. Would be easier to build a square cornered box but I don't like that look.

This will be a monocoque structure, no internal framing. The skin is the structure.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0004_resize.JPG  
Old 10-18-2020, 11:52 AM   #1135
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
ah, I found if I ran the water into the bowl before extrusions...
My first hard laugh of the day...thank you
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 02:13 PM   #1136

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
"Monocoque" structure? I'll take a back seat to that. If that's your tongue box it don't look deep enough to store a loaf of bread.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:29 PM   #1137

Um, room for my laptop. I've used the base as a pattern for the top. There will be walls, tall enough for my zero gravity chair to be stored on edge.

When we both made tongue boxes we framed the structure and then covered it with sheet material. This box won't have a frame, strength primarily comes from the bends put in the skin. Work in progress but hopefully will be obvious soon.

Ron
Old 10-19-2020, 05:55 PM   #1138

Started making the sides for the box. Always like this phase of a project where it starts to take shape.

Keep telling myself, yah, square corners would have been quicker but the rounded ones will match the trailer much better.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0006_resize.JPG  
Old 10-19-2020, 06:34 PM   #1139

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Looking good.
What's the colour match?
Old 10-19-2020, 09:56 PM   #1140

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
L
What's the colour match?
The white is a vinyl protective film that comes on one side of aluminum sheet to preserve that light brushed finish.

My two choices are; leave it natural aluminum or paint it to match the gelcoat. I left my 19 tongue box natural for awhile but in the end decided a paint finish was more appropriate for use with a f.g. trailer. Maybe good with an Airstream but not so much with white f.g.

The other reason for painting is that natural aluminum can be a bit higher maintenance and slight nicks etc. are more noticeable and harder to repair. I left my car natural because that's period correct and because it has a scotch brite finish that is more forgiving to maintain.

I don't know yet what the exact color will be. The f.g. on the 21 is quite white but the front tongue box is almost a very light almond. I tend to favor matching it to the front tongue box.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P4280082_resize.JPG   24-06-2019 8-24-31 PM_0038_resize.jpg