What did you do for your Escape today..... - Page 69 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2021, 08:24 PM   #1361

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Unhappy Spare tire mount

I moved the spare tire mount forward 3/4 inch. One of the bikes shifter mechanisms was trying to wear a hole in the cover. That 3/4" was sufficient and all that was practical. as moving it a bit more and the wall of the bumper would have interfered with the rear most hole. I welded up the old holes and flushed them off with a grinder. Some paint made it look stock again.

There was a positive quality point in ETI's favor noted when I was employing my grinder. The frame has primer under the black paint. I have seen some very expensive brand new trailers sitting in a dealer's lot looking like they spent time in a creek bed when looked at underneath.

Tom
Old 07-13-2021, 08:57 PM   #1362

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Bike Causing a Spare Tire Hole

I wasn't as fortunate to discover there was a problem till there was already a hole in the spare tire cover. In my case it was a bike pedal that rubbed the cover. My solution was to take a 15mm wrench and remove the pedal. Hardest part is remembering the direction of the threads....
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:08 AM   #1363

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Wow, 7 years and 1300+ posts on this thread I started way back when......glad to see it is still generating interest. Just wished my money in the bank could do so well...........
Old 07-14-2021, 11:03 AM   #1364

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Wow, 7 years and 1300+ posts on this thread I started way back when......glad to see it is still generating interest. Just wished my money in the bank could do so well...........
Wow is right Jim. Curiosity made me look back to the first posts and read a few to see Robert planning, in his mind, that is changes to "Past Tents" which he did not yet have and Donna whining about having to go back to work
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:24 AM   #1365
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Wow is right Jim. Curiosity made me look back to the first posts and read a few to see Robert planning, in his mind, that is changes to "Past Tents" which he did not yet have and Donna whining about having to go back to work
And I retired in 2016!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:05 PM   #1366

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
new bottom step

Storing shoes has always been a problem. I though I had it figured out, but the access to the bottom step storage did not work well. So version 3, made the lift up step/lid wider. Cross fingers.
First photo is version 2, then version 3
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 9.53.47 AM.jpg   _DSC9386.jpg   _DSC9387.jpg  
Old 07-14-2021, 02:06 PM   #1367

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Looks very nice and useful.
I don’t know if a lot of people think of where they are going to put their shoes when they buy a trailer.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:58 PM   #1368

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
We find our shoes fit quite well under the step. But then Beth's name is not Imelda Marcos
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:22 AM   #1369

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
Knife rack

I made a simple knife rack, mounted on the kitchen wall above the stovetop.
Attached Thumbnails
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_168d.jpg  
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:42 AM   #1370

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post
I made a simple knife rack, mounted on the kitchen wall above the stovetop.
Beautiful! Is that maple
with some curl in the grain?
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:26 PM   #1371

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmitch View Post
Beautiful! Is that maple
with some curl in the grain?
Yes. Lovely mild curl. I have a bunch of it (I'm a furniture maker).
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:14 PM   #1372

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post
Yes. Lovely mild curl. I have a bunch of it (I'm a furniture maker).
I would love to see some of your work. I retired after teaching woodshop for 38 years. I still love the smell of sawdust in the morning.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 05:18 PM   #1373

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
Ordered escape hatch screws & it wasn't easy or cheap

Backstory: When we were returning from camping on Tuesday we noticed that the escape hatch window was floppy, eg we could see it ajar from the rear view mirror. When we stopped and looked, the two tiny phillips screws that hold the opening arm to the window frame had fallen out. We are pretty sure we had the window latched down since we always use the checklist and both review inside and out. It is always possible that we missed something, but we are pretty careful. Fortunately we did not lose the opening arm, the window or the screen. Vibration? who knows.

Task: I emailed Escape Wednesday and sent photos. They did not have the screws and were not sure of the size. I did get the window model # and called Lippert and learned that the screws are #6 x 1/4 phillips pan head screws. I checked with the big box stores today and their smallest is #6 x 1/2. This is a result of the corporatization of hardware stores per a nice person at one of the boxes.
There are a couple of fancy pants fastener stores here in Denver but of course they are not open on weekends and they have a $20 minimum order. I cannot even call them to see if they really have them. So, in order to make sure I got the right ones in time for our next trip I ordered from Lippert. They are very proud of their screws and charge $2.95 each. Now on the way.

Moral: Check the damn fasteners and say some grateful prayers for your local old fashioned hardware store that has absolutely everything. Otherwise it is a PITA.
happy camping to all,
Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 05:54 PM   #1374

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
I removed the steel folding steps. Going to repaint it with a good hd coating. Existing is beginning ti show rust after 6 months. Plus redrill for another attaching bolt. Two forward only one aft.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:14 PM   #1375

Trailer: 2018 19'
Removed range hood, installed a dimmable led light & put up backsplash. Yippee!
Attached Thumbnails
6825BA37-A2A5-4588-BCCC-BB8E6345264B.jpg  
Old 07-18-2021, 02:41 PM   #1376

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by outwiththedogs View Post
Backstory: When we were returning from camping on Tuesday we noticed that the escape hatch window was floppy, eg we could see it ajar from the rear view mirror. When we stopped and looked, the two tiny phillips screws that hold the opening arm to the window frame had fallen out. We are pretty sure we had the window latched down since we always use the checklist and both review inside and out. It is always possible that we missed something, but we are pretty careful. Fortunately we did not lose the opening arm, the window or the screen. Vibration? who knows.

Task: I emailed Escape Wednesday and sent photos. They did not have the screws and were not sure of the size. I did get the window model # and called Lippert and learned that the screws are #6 x 1/4 phillips pan head screws. I checked with the big box stores today and their smallest is #6 x 1/2. This is a result of the corporatization of hardware stores per a nice person at one of the boxes.
There are a couple of fancy pants fastener stores here in Denver but of course they are not open on weekends and they have a $20 minimum order. I cannot even call them to see if they really have them. So, in order to make sure I got the right ones in time for our next trip I ordered from Lippert. They are very proud of their screws and charge $2.95 each. Now on the way.

Moral: Check the damn fasteners and say some grateful prayers for your local old fashioned hardware store that has absolutely everything. Otherwise it is a PITA.
happy camping to all,
Catherine

Thanks, I checked mine and snugged them up. Also screws from bracket to base of window.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:17 PM   #1377
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
.... learned that the screws are #6 x 1/4 phillips pan head screws. I checked with the big box stores today and their smallest is #6 x 1/2. This is a result of the corporatization of hardware stores per a nice person at one of the boxes. ...
Locally, Ace Hardware (several locations under a couple different local owners) have a MUCH better hardware selection.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:15 PM   #1378

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
ACE is our usual place to start but they don’t carry odd sizes, at least what they think is odd, around here. It does make me miss the cool old stores that had everything. Even when we lived in DC, we could walk into Fragers and describe ‘that thingamajig that connects the whatsit’ and the staff would think a minute, walk down the incredibly crowded single-file aisles and pull the exact replacement off the top shelf in the back. Truly a thing of beauty. As Joni M said, ‘You don’t know what you’ve got til its gone.’
Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:53 PM   #1379

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
As Joni M said, ‘You don’t know what you’ve got til its gone.’
Catherine

And, soon the big box stores will all have been replaced by Amazon.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:59 PM   #1380

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

happy camping to all,
Catherine
Do it Center and marine stores . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote