What did you do for your Escape today..... - Page 76 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 01:45 PM   #1501

Trailer: Escape Trailer 21NE 2022
I had to look up "refer vent." I initially thought you were using a vent to get rid of pot smoke.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:09 PM   #1502

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggsMcBuggs View Post
Replaced a DC/USB port with a USB 3.0 and USB-C PD outlet. I got a cool voltage display in the bargain

What does "PD" stand for in this instance?
Old 01-13-2022, 07:17 PM   #1503
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
What does "PD" stand for in this instance?
Power Delivery. USB C supports varying levels of PD, from around 15W minimum to fast charge a modern phone (my Pixel 3a and my tablet both prefer 18W, which is 2 amps at 9V), to over 100W PD for a larger modern laptop (my new XPS 13 9305 uses 20V at 3 amps for 60 watts).

some semi-technical details,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_ha...power_delivery
Old 01-13-2022, 08:14 PM   #1504

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Thank you. I hope the USB-C standard sticks around for a while so I don't have to learn yet another one.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:25 PM   #1505
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Thank you. I hope the USB-C standard sticks around for a while so I don't have to learn yet another one.
it should. but it started with compexities, which are still evolving...

USB-3 is the protocol and is also available on old fashion USB "A" (rectangular original USB ports) that have a blue tongue.
USB-C is the connector, and requires USB 3.x or better support.

the USB C connector can also handle thunderbolt 3+. thunderbolt is optional on USB 3, and combines USB 3 data + HDMI video + PCI-Express direct system bus connectivity.

USB 4 also requires the C connector, and mandates Thunderbolt 4 support.

the other major difference betwen USB 3.x and USB 4 is that 3.x CAN go 5, 10, or 20 Gbit/sec, while USB 4 *has* to be able to support 20Gbps.

Thunderbolt 3 supported up to 40Gbps and up to 4 PCI-E channels and...
Thunderbolt 4 requires 40Gbps, and dual 4K video monitor support, and faster PCI-E too.

PD is still variable, as not every USB C device can supply power, and even if you do have a PD port, the amount of available power varies. so for example, I can't plug my USB C+PD XPS13 laptop that needs 60 watts into the 18 watt USB-C 'wallwart' I charge my phone and tablet with.

my new Dell XPS 13 9305 laptop has USB4/Thunderbolt4 ports... it came with a 60W USB C PD power supply, but I got a TD19TBS thunderbolt expander, which came with its OWN power supply, and has a captive USB C cord that plugs into the laptop. the expander has dual 4K HDMI video ports and a whole bunch of USB C and USB A ports you can plug other stuff into. and finally, after a coulpe generations of this stuff, it works great. put laptop on desk, plug in the single USB C cable and boom, your desktop dual monitors, keyboard and mouse are live. this laptop is tiny and super portable.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:42 PM   #1506

Trailer: 2021 Escape TA 5.0
Rotated my Tires today

I rotated my tires today. All the way to Quartzsite for the PowWow and Vacation Show.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:52 PM   #1507

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
I cold galvanized the safety chains on our 1 year old trailer. The zinc plated chains were beginning to rust.
Eventually I will replace them with some hot dip chains I have left over from my sailing days.
Old 02-06-2022, 07:28 PM   #1508

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Well we took the cover off. Was a nice day today. The wife started stocking the trailer for our first camping trip of the year. I checked fluid levels in batteries. Removed wheel covers and AC cover. Got a few more things to do thru week. Than we are going to Fort Casey for a long weekend. End of March to Pacific Beach surf fishing for a week. Happy to start camping again.
Old 02-07-2022, 11:25 PM   #1509
Site Team

I took out the mattress, and removed the plywood bed support so I can do some wiring under there...

next I gotta run some AWG 10 from the very back where my power center is up to the junction box for the brakes and 7-blade cable...

(gonna replace that ugly box entirely, and use a 7-blade junction with screw terminals and ring connectors on all the wires...)
Old 02-08-2022, 05:55 AM   #1510

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I took out the mattress, and removed the plywood bed support so I can do some wiring under there...

next I gotta run some AWG 10 from the very back where my power center is up to the junction box for the brakes and 7-blade cable...

(gonna replace that ugly box entirely, and use a 7-blade junction with screw terminals and ring connectors on all the wires...)
Is it me are or those 1x2 bed supports just floating out in mid-air? If so, what is their purpose?
Old 02-08-2022, 08:14 AM   #1511
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Is it me are or those 1x2 bed supports just floating out in mid-air? If so, what is their purpose?
Yeah that kind of surprised me, but I was pre-warned. Those floating stringers tie the two plywood halves together. I probably should have removed the whole thing in as one piece, cuz it's going to be pretty hard to assemble
Old 02-08-2022, 08:26 AM   #1512

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
The supports keep bed plywood from bowing especially since the forward plywood is ripped. If the supports ran to the wall you would have to notch out the wall runner for each support and possibly lower the wire harness. I have not heard of any bed cave ins. While you have it opened up you could add a WH relay and new electric WH switch panel for about $30. Just have to run one new wire from the switch to the WH and run a short wire for the ground.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:40 AM   #1513

Trailer: 2021 21NE
John, You have probably already figured it out but just in case, you can use a temporary support (leg) under the 1X while you reinstall a couple screws through the plywood into it. Hopefully you can use the same screw holes and line the screw thread up with the existing thread pattern in the 1x wood to avoid making a new thread pattern..
Old 02-08-2022, 09:57 AM   #1514
Site Team

My water heater is propane only, anyways, so no needs for any relays.
Old 02-08-2022, 10:05 AM   #1515

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Sorry, I just realized it was Willie's photo.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:23 AM   #1516

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
If the supports ran to the wall you would have to notch out the wall runner for each support and possibly lower the wire harness. I have not heard of any bed cave ins.
Right, it's a non-issue. A little jarring if you're used to notching in that situation but functional.

I always take the opportunity to paint all the plywood when I've removed it. I hate unfinished plywood.

Ron
Old 02-08-2022, 04:43 PM   #1517

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Well got back to it today getting ready for first trip this year. Flushed water tank and lines,
Got hot water tank filled and fired up , ran furnace, checked out generator.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:13 PM   #1518

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Yeah that kind of surprised me, but I was pre-warned. Those floating stringers tie the two plywood halves together. I probably should have removed the whole thing in as one piece, cuz it's going to be pretty hard to assemble
I must have missed that unique methodology in my college engineering course.

Has Escape ever attempted to explain how that could possibly have any structural value? I wonder how many other structural things have remained hidden from view.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:38 PM   #1519

Trailer: 2021 21NE
WillyB, You learned to thicken the web on structural members where the moment is greatest. Isn't this similar. There is no moment at the wall.
Old 02-08-2022, 06:35 PM   #1520

Per Escape:

"Thank you for reaching out to Escape Trailer! Yes, that looks scary indeed. However, the bed get’s support from the plywood which rests on that piece of wood attached tp the driver’s side wall. In the picture, that plywood has been removed. I just verified the construction with our 21C showroom unit and Dave, our Parts and Service Manager confirmed that we have not had any reported incidences where the bed collapsed. The individual wood bars that you see there in the picture, centred, are to prevent the plywood from bending."
Closed Thread