What did you do for your Escape today..... - Page 22 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #421

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
Well, never mind! I read the instructions, found the reset button and all is right with my world today! I was hoping it hadn’t run too long empty.
Alright ! Good for you ! Pat
Old 11-27-2019, 12:30 PM   #422

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I finished my tongue jack removable handle. No more having to be super careful lowering the tailgate.

I need to open the top of the fridge vent so I can drop my solar panel cables down. The trailer is too close to the fence to allow me to use a ladder. So I had a choice, move the trailer or build a down and dirty step ladder that would fit the 10" space.

It's cold weather and I didn't want to move the trailer so a crude ladder it was.

If it warms up a bit today my next project is opening up the fridge vent.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0027_resize.JPG   IMGP0026_resize.JPG  
Old 11-27-2019, 01:53 PM   #423

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I like that handle Ron, it is a good theft deterrent also. How hard was it making the metal handle and wooden knob and how is it all attached. You may want to make a separate thread as I'm sure others may want the same info, thanks.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:22 PM   #424

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I need to open the top of the fridge vent so I can drop my solar panel cables down.
If it warms up a bit today my next project is opening up the fridge vent.
Ron
Very interested in hearing how hard it is to remove the fridge vent. Mine looks like it has piles of goop over each retaining screw.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Old 11-27-2019, 06:33 PM   #425
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Very interested in hearing how hard it is to remove the fridge vent. Mine looks like it has piles of goop over each retaining screw.
Yup, there's a #2 Robertson down the hole...

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 11-27-2019, 09:54 PM   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I got as far as attacking the goop before darkness fell.

Quite a difference between the way they did it in 2014 and now. Previously they squirted a dab of Donna D's favorite material down each hole. Didn't work all that well. Even though my trailer was only a few months old you can see that there was water ingress down the screw threads. The silicone plugs were easy to pop out.

I did remove the top of the goop. The large area on top was firm and I could pry it up. The surprise was that the material going down the recess was still soft and sticky. So it's sort of a two step process, pry off the solid stuff and dig out the soft stuff.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P4050022_resize.jpg  
Old 11-27-2019, 10:01 PM   #427
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Quite a difference between the way they did it in 2014 and now. Previously they squirted a dab of Donna D's favorite material down each hole. Didn't work all that well. Even though my trailer was only a few months old you can see that there was water ingress down the screw threads. The silicone plugs were easy to pop out.
I'm appalled!
Old 11-27-2019, 10:15 PM   #428

That is a very interesting picture. Worth sending to Karl I think. Glad I keep mine under cover and don’t live in a rain forest. Will have to replace mine with stainless when I get around to my project. However I might want to move up the project before the rusty screws snap off on removal.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:42 PM   #429

Quote:
I got as far as attacking the goop before darkness fell.

Ron
No, I was showing the 2014 way. As I said the Proflex that they use now, although not looking all that good from a visual point of view, has remained soft and sticky in the hole. I doubt that any water leaks down now.

I'll see tomorrow if the screws are s/s.

Ron
Old 11-27-2019, 11:10 PM   #430

Trailer: 2020 19
Ordered a 2020 19' if that counts
Old 11-28-2019, 10:01 AM   #431

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
well, congrats on the momentous occasion! any particular customization or options? will you be using mainly in Alaska?
Old 11-28-2019, 10:49 AM   #432

Quote:
No, I was showing the 2014 way. As I said the Proflex that they use now, although not looking all that good from a visual point of view, has remained soft and sticky in the hole. I doubt that any water leaks down now.

I'll see tomorrow if the screws are s/s.

Ron
Thanks for the clarification.

Old 11-28-2019, 05:47 PM   #433

Spent the morning making the rounds of the big box stores looking for a 24" tv that uses a power adaptor. Our last tv, nominally 16 volt input, worked well on the trailer voltage. Drives me crazy. There's an AC-DC adaptor that fits at least 4 different models of 24" Insignia. Yet the one on Amazon isn't one of them.

Removed the fridge vent cap, cleaned out the holes and painted it. Varsol seems to soften the Proflex a bit and I had a small gouge left over from the days when I used to, ah, inset metal parts into black walnut. Did a better job than a screw driver would have.

The screws are steel, not s/s but they're in better shape than the ones in my 19 were. Maybe Donna's right, there are better sealants than silicone.

I'm a little disappointed with the screen used in the vent. The trailer is only 2 1/2 months old and rust is already well established. The screen in my previous trailer rusted completely through. Not ETIs fault, they don't have much choice in what they use but pretty poor quality.

Happy to see that there's reflectix on the back wall rather than bare plywood as before. That should cut down on potential problems with bare plywood exposed to moist air. The condenser coils are also much closer to the vent so hopefully that provides a shorter path for the warm air to escape.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0029_resize.JPG   IMGP0030_resize.JPG   IMGP0032_resize.JPG   IMGP0033_resize.JPG  
Old 11-28-2019, 06:23 PM   #434

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If it were me, I would remove that rusty screen and replace with plastic/fg screen. Smaller holes for better insect control and no rust. Or, if heat is an issue, use ss screen, fine mesh. Thanks for the update...
Old 11-28-2019, 07:05 PM   #435

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Fine screen like window screen, restricts air flow. My fridge has enough problems without taking the chance of giving it yet another. If Ron's is the same as mine is, the screen is molded into the plastic of the vent, you'd have to either cut it out or just lay the fine screen over it, not that I'm going to.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:05 PM   #436

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If it were me, I would remove that rusty screen and replace with plastic/fg screen. Smaller holes for better insect control and no rust. Or, if heat is an issue, use ss screen, fine mesh. Thanks for the update...
I agree Ron ,I would change screws and screening to stainless steel . Sure looks ugly in a short bit of time . Greased the toilet rubber seal with plumbers grease yesterday . It’s Fred ‘s fault .Now as soon as it stops raining check out my refrigerator screen etc. this forum gives me more work ! Pat
Old 11-28-2019, 07:14 PM   #437

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Fine screen like window screen, restricts air flow. My fridge has enough problems without taking the chance of giving it yet another. If Ron's is the same as mine is, the screen is molded into the plastic of the vent, you'd have to either cut it out or just lay the fine screen over it, not that I'm going to.
Bob there should be screen in stainless that doesn’t restrict air flow which is a yes very important . But the rust ! Pat
Old 11-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #438

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
It appears to take some effort to see that rust.
Why worry?
Old 11-28-2019, 08:50 PM   #439

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
It appears to take some effort to see that rust.
Why worry?
Glenn Now I am curious . If it is there I will fix it . It is just me . Pat
Old 11-28-2019, 09:33 PM   #440

One obvious reason is the water leaks can cause problems if they reach the bare plywood below.

But another question is: what exactly is the screen supposed to do? Most insects could get through the mesh and down below there isn't a metal screen and if a rodent couldn't squeeze through the existing openings they could enlarge them a bit by chewing on them.

If I had a suitable s/s screen I'd cut out the existing one leaving a 1/2" around the perimeter, lay the new one over it and fasten it with pieces of the existing one. Since I have the area opened up I'll probably just brush it with Tremclad. That should preserve it for awhile.

Ron
Closed Thread