What did you do for your Escape today..... - Page 25 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 12:21 PM   #481

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
I find using acetone and rags really removes easy . What I used to get rid of sticky pro flex on the roof . I also use a plastic paint scraper . Removed 9 in square fan to replace with power bath fan and light on side to replace . There was a lot of pro flex on these . Did no damage to fiberglass . The E. Tape just really grabs and what you want for some installations.Pat
Old 12-10-2019, 03:08 PM   #482

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I had a bear of a time getting Eternabond off when I had to R&R the bathroom skylight on the Starcraft. I believe the main issue was the roof was rubber, got to be awful careful with the scraper. Working it off of hard fiberglass should be a lot easier. Properly preped, the stuff holds like the dickens.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #483

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I was looking at a 100 watt flexible panel sold by ML Solar (California). Dimensions being 41.7 x 21.3 x 0.12 inches. ($349.00) Thinking I might have a spot on my trailer roof for one. Looks like it will only fit in behind the AC -- it means running it lengthwise on center and the last two inches of the panel will be taped onto the back curve of the roof. HMM.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #484

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Myron, that's the same size as the one that I just installed. At first I was going to install 2 in that location but I didn't like the idea of one having to be taped down in that area that starts to curve down.

So I put one crossways and it's a perfect fit without having to bend down the edges. I'm using the second one as a portable panel.

I know that there are different levels or qualities of panels and the ones that I purchased are at the low end. But the difference in cost between the amount you quoted for 1-100 watt panel, if that's the cost and it doesn't include other items like a controller and what I paid for 2-100 watt panels, a 20 amp controller and all the cables and connectors, $268 CDN, is pretty large.

As I say, I know my panels are on the low end of the quality spectrum but I have to question if other panels are worth so much more. A friend has had the same panels on his boat for over 2 years and he's happy with them.

Oh no! just read the preview and I realize that the distance, side-to-side between the ridges might be wider on my Gen 2 trailer than your trailer. What others have done in that situation is purchase something like a 60 watt panel so it can lay flat without bending down the edges.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
PC080014_resize.jpg  
Old 12-10-2019, 05:04 PM   #485

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Myron's classic E19 is narrower than your 2ndG E21....
Old 12-10-2019, 06:20 PM   #486

Agree that price is very steep, and it's just for the flexible panel. I bought my first solar panels (booked two 50 watters) from them several years ago because of the build quality. Here is a quote from their website defense:

"...Infinium® 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Flexible Solar Panel
Uses Monocrystalline solar cells that have been laminated into a flexible plastic sheet. The result is a solar panel that is far more durable than traditional glass and aluminum models, with twice the efficiency (approx. 20%) of flexible thin film solar panels. With these advanced solar cells, you will get greater power efficiency even though the panel is no larger than a traditional model.

Infinium® 100 Watt 12 Volt Flexible Monocrystalline Solar Panel only weights 4lbs, making it easier to transport, hang, and remove...."

Here's a snip from their site.
Attached Thumbnails
Solarflexbl.jpg  
Old 12-10-2019, 07:14 PM   #487

Don't know about the claims. Hope one of the whiz guys who know lots about panels will comment on their claims. I'm not sure if some of their claims are an apple and oranges sort of situation.

I thought that one major difference was the top layer material but they don't even mention that unless it's somewhere else in their write-up.

As far as the durability claim, being more durable than glass and aluminum panels I'm skeptical. My first Siemens panel is almost 30 years old and it's been exposed to a lot of handling and different situations and it still works. From some of the things that I've read I'm not sure that a claim that they'll outlive a glass and aluminum panel is valid.

Ron
Old 12-10-2019, 08:41 PM   #488

I was able to install 3 60 watt panels on our 19 . All panels lay flat no bending down roof . One front , one rear , and one middle behind ac . Pat
Old 12-10-2019, 09:23 PM   #489

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Agree that price is very steep, and it's just for the flexible panel. I bought my first solar panels (booked two 50 watters) from them several years ago because of the build quality. Here is a quote from their website defense:

"...Infinium® 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Flexible Solar Panel
Uses Monocrystalline solar cells that have been laminated into a flexible plastic sheet. The result is a solar panel that is far more durable than traditional glass and aluminum models, with twice the efficiency (approx. 20%) of flexible thin film solar panels. With these advanced solar cells, you will get greater power efficiency even though the panel is no larger than a traditional model.

Infinium® 100 Watt 12 Volt Flexible Monocrystalline Solar Panel only weights 4lbs, making it easier to transport, hang, and remove...."

Here's a snip from their site.
Renogy started using the plastic backing as well (https://www.renogy.com/100-watt-12-v...e-solar-panel/) and reports are coming in of high failure rates due the cells delaminating from the plastic backing.

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Extrem...ustomerReviews

I hope your panel doesn't have these issues.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:44 AM   #490

Cheap is cheap like the saying says you get what you pay for . Pat
Old 12-11-2019, 09:10 AM   #491

Just found this on eBay. A 150 watt 18v mono-crystalline flexible panel that's 37" x 27", $118.98. Very tempting. Now, where can I buy that Eternabond tape again?
Attached Thumbnails
ebay150Watt3.jpg  
Old 12-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #492

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Just found this on eBay. A 150 watt 18v mono-crystalline flexible panel that's 37" x 27", $118.98. Very tempting. Now, where can I buy that Eternabond tape again?
Those panels will not hold up like the EFTE Lensun panels will, Myron.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #493

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Myron, personally wouldn’t want to eternabond panels to the roof unless they were high quality like what Jim’s recommending. That stuff is a booger if you have to remove it.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #494

You could be right Greg. There's so much conflicting information about durability etc. only time will tell.

Personally I'm not too worried. If the panel failed I'd try a technique that I've used before on a very aggressive adhesive. I use a hypodermic needle and put a tiny bead of acetone across the width and start using an upwards pull all the while putting a tiny stream of acetone at the interface. Works amazing well.

However, if the panel failed there's a good chance that I wouldn't bother removing it. If it did fail it'd get replaced with a solid panel that would bridge right across the top of it.

Ron
Old 12-11-2019, 12:13 PM   #495

Makes sense to me. Just looked at the Lensun LS-100FX flexible panels on eBay, $239.00. 37" x 26"
Attached Thumbnails
roof1.jpg  
Old 12-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #496

From I read, that Eternabond tape is not double sided. So that means to attach a flexible panel to my roof I got to run it around the panel perimeter? Not liking that so much.

"...EternaBond Black Mobile Home RV Rubber Roof Repair 6" x 10' - 10 Foot, 10 Feet by EternaBond $23.99
ETERNABOND is the only MicroSealant in a tape form available that will stop virtually any leak or water proof any surface in minutes.

Perfect for re-seaming all roofs, regardless of the material. RoofSeal makes a permanent water-tight seal.
Eternabond Color: Black..."
Old 12-11-2019, 12:41 PM   #497

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Why do you want black vs white Eternabond?
Old 12-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #498

Blame that on Amazon. Did not see it offered in other than black. OH.. just found it in white on eBay, 4" x 20 ft roll. Better.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #499

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
From I read, that Eternabond tape is not double sided. So that means to attach a flexible panel to my roof I got to run it around the panel perimeter? Not liking that so much.
After 3 years my Eternabond is still looking good. I used 2"white. You could use a VHB tape too, but I chose not to.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #500

Quote:
Blame that on Amazon. Did not see it offered in other than black. OH.. just found it in white on eBay, 4" x 20 ft roll. Better.
That's a lot of tape Myron. Like Jim I, and all the installations I've seen, use 2" wide tape. That's plenty wide. It only goes on the panel side just over 1/2".

For my panel the best amount that I could find were the 2"x10'. Two did the panel with lot's left over.

As usual with the reviews there were some negative ones that claimed that it didn't stick worth a darn. After using it I wonder if they realized that you had to peel off the plastic on the adhesive. I don't think anyone who'd used it properly would say that it doesn't stick.

Ron
Closed Thread