What did you do for your Escape today..... - Page 45 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2020, 09:57 AM   #881

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltkaren View Post
Did you use corner moulding on some edges and end cap trim in on the other edges?
I made corner trim with real oak, 1/2 by 1/2 inch on the inside panel edges. Reused the larger corner trim on the main vertical joint.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:03 AM   #882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I would definitely incorporate USB plugs into it. Right now we only have them on one side, and my phone is my clock (as well as my middle of the night entertainment when sleep doesn't happen), and I have to plug a 10' cable into an outlet on Lisa's side.

I have thoughts of making a wee cabinet in the top, but don't imagine there is very much space/volume to do so.

I had also thought about a folding shelf, but I bet it would be down all the time anyway.

I do need to keep room for the guitar which resides on my side of the bed, though right now leaves well over 12" to the corner cubbie holder.
I was going to use some of the unused space for storage, but it is too small to be useful and the trailer has lots of space anyway. It made more sense to have a larger shelf. Access to the bottom part next to the mattress is difficult, for me not worth the effort.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:16 AM   #883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Fantastic Job!

I've always wondered if those cubbies could be removed. Another mystery solved!
Is the cubby area built over the carpet or is the carpet missing?

If I removed the cubby area and below would there be enough paneling to cover the silver insulation?

Perry
If you remove it, pull it from the top towards you, there may be a staple or two holding it after the screws are removed. The screws go into a wood bracket that is glassed or epoxied to the shell. The white wall covering ends there. You may to able to make something from the removed piece to cover the corner, lots of angles to deal with. Or get some more of the white wall material and do something similar to the back corners of the trailer.
The carpet does go to the corner, it is onto of foam. It's a bit of a challenge.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:19 AM   #884

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
While waiting out this time at home, I decided to ‘fix’ what I consider a short coming in the 5TA, specifically the storage cubby’s beside the bed. Some like them, I did not, found they were to far forward and useless for clock and other night time accessories. At one time I had added a small shelf on to the back side of the corner unit, this helped, good for clock, etc. mhm shh h Co
So for Version 2, I completely removed the corner piece, made a cardboard mock-up of what I wanted, after a few tweaks, proceeded to make the finished version, one for each side. Hopefully test it out soon.
Now I just need to figure out what to do with the two white plastic bins.
Excellent Chris !Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:25 AM   #885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Excellent Chris !Pat
Thanks Pat.

I am not sure why ETI decided to attach the plastic bins with 4 visible screws and not just glue them on from the back.

Back to the adventure.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #886

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Definitely looks like a very nice project to do with a 5.0 and the possibilities for design are endless. Fabulous idea and execution, Chris.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:33 PM   #887

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Since the Escape has been home and will be for awhile, I decided to close up any pest openings. Installed screening over the furnace port, water heater, and refrigerator vents.....that spring that comes with the furnace vent is too small and hard to attach, so I removed 2 of the attachment screws and added a washer and some butyl putty and wrapped some stainless wire around them.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1601.jpg   IMG_1602.jpg   IMG_1603.jpg   IMG_1606.jpg  
Old 06-10-2020, 01:47 PM   #888

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
A bit warm for working in the trailer at 92°F (I know, I could have turned on the air conditioner) but it was a quick project.

I ordered a 3' storage bin from RV Widget Works (Charlie Young) for easy access under bed storage. I use milk cartons for rarely used stuff & shoes that I access through an optional side door. The price for the sled & bin was $139.14 (sold by the inch) and a painful FedEx shipping from Oregon to upstate NY of $66.02.

Easy install - screw 3 12" 2"X4"'s to the floor to align the sled with the door & clear the plumbing, screw the sled to the 2"X4"'s (Charlie already countersunk the holes so the bin clears the heads).

He sends an email with very complete instructions, including some clearance things to check. I left room for both the milk cartons on the right & my painter's pole I use for my weather station on the left.

Some photos:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1712.jpg   IMG_1716.jpg   IMG_1718.jpg   IMG_1722.jpg   IMG_1720.jpg  

IMG_1724.jpg  
Old 06-10-2020, 06:03 PM   #889

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Are most people packing it in for this year? Are you guys planning any trips this Summer? Or just resetting for the next year?

I just completed my first 4 night trip and am planning on a quick 2-3 night camp this weekend. National forest campgrounds are open now and I can easily distance once I leave the house. I intend to stay out the entire Summer unless there is a Fall Covid spike. I reserved and paid in advance so I did not have to come in contact with anyone. There was no host anyway. The last night I had the campground to myself. I'm hooked already!
The 5.0 is a nice home away from home! We have reservations for a forest service campground in Early July. All our other camping plans were events that were canceled. Escape Rally, Sister's Outdoor Quilt show, music festivals, etc. Fortunately we have reservations for Yellowstone right after labor day. Will play the rest by ear.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:17 PM   #890

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I dislike the plastic bin too, talk about noisy trying to dig out the clock in the middle of the night.
Bob, I found an easy solution to the noise problem. But doesn't address the access issues. I had some promotional mouse pads that were from some convention or another back when I was still working. Made from neoprene they were easy to cut down into liners for the bottom of the cubbies. Now stuff doesn't clatter around in there. Also added a command hook for my glasses.
Attached Thumbnails
13AECB0D-D857-4890-B49B-E4ED19F27F7D.jpg   C5A6F607-1E2C-454A-8875-CCE4A5679486.jpg   4FF002D1-EC32-4F00-BBF6-21D48D417C79.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:24 PM   #891

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
Thanks! I’m curious if additional fabric is needed to simply split the cushions. John
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but …

You'll at least need enough material to cover the side area at the point where the cushions are split. Also, you'll need enough material at the top and bottom of each cushion to attach the new piece.

I'm planning to split the back cushion while in 'furniture country" NC this summer but will go ahead and add latex foam to all cushions while I'm at it, as others on this forum have done. This will require quite a bit more material.

Best wishes!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:39 PM   #892

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but …

You'll at least need enough material to cover the side area at the point where the cushions are split. Also, you'll need enough material at the top and bottom of each cushion to attach the new piece.

I'm planning to split the back cushion while in 'furniture country" NC this summer but will go ahead and add latex foam to all cushions while I'm at it, as others on this forum have done. This will require quite a bit more material.

Best wishes!
yes, additional material was needed, my person used peppercorn which is shown in post 862 on the 4 ends, looks natural and not obtrusive, almost factory like.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:02 PM   #893

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Bob, I found an easy solution to the noise problem. But doesn't address the access issues. I had some promotional mouse pads that were from some convention or another back when I was still working. Made from neoprene they were easy to cut down into liners for the bottom of the cubbies. Now stuff doesn't clatter around in there. Also added a command hook for my glasses.

Thanks Arnie, I do have a small roll of neoprene that I used on another project. If it doesn't still smell as bad as it did I 'll give this a shot.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:16 PM   #894

I use the same rubber material I put down in the o/h, bought at dollar store, 5' x1' roll $2 each here is amazon link https://www.amazon.com/DAZZ-8714638-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Old 06-10-2020, 10:06 PM   #895

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
yes, additional material was needed, my person used peppercorn which is shown in post 862 on the 4 ends, looks natural and not obtrusive, almost factory like.
The peppercorn looks great, Jim! I didn't even notice that the material used on the ends was different!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:21 PM   #896

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirk View Post
Today we received our new cushions and pillows replacing our standard Escape brown covers which were getting dirty and needed more style.
Looks great!
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:33 PM   #897
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I had picked up 4 '4 gallon' aka '16 quart' sized milk crates, these are 14 x 14 x 11 high... I used cable tie wraps to tie all 4 in a straight row, and they are PERFECT for under-the-bed storage on my E21. can still put some stuff inside the side door, and the crates will keep that stuff from sliding all over.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:12 AM   #898

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Yup, #1 mod in the eyes of my wife. Holds an amazing amount of stuff all nicely separated and convenient to access.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:16 AM   #899
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I decided to reimplement it with 3 x 19" (6 gallon) instead of 4 x 13" (4 gallon) crates. already found too many of the things I want to stow there don't fit in a 13x13 crate
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:28 AM   #900

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Not a problem for my wife.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0020_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote