What do you do when you're an adventurous homebody? This. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2015, 01:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B
What do you do when you're an adventurous homebody? This.

Hi all. Remember me? I'm the one that has taken a week to figure out how to put a handle on my new-to-me 2005 17' Escape trailer. Thanks to the help I received here, I will be tackling this first mod soon. But that's not why I'm here today.

I've started a blog for sharing my full-timing life on the road. It should be good for some laughs since I have no idea what I'm doing. But, that's part of the fun for me. To learn along the way, and share the excitement and bloopers with others.

Sarandipity Travels | What do you do when you're an adventurous homebody? This.

My "Sarandipity Travels" Blog: https://sarandipitytravels.com/
Sarandipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Thank you for sharing your blog spot. I know there are many of us who will be following you and waiting to hear how it is being on the road full time in an Escape. Safe travels!

Oh, almost forgot to mention that Australian friends of ours used this app http://trackmytour.com/ to track their five month journey around the States last year. Maybe there's something like it you can use for your blog.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Thank you for sharing your blog spot. I know there are many of us who will be following you and waiting to hear how it is being on the road full time in an Escape. Safe travels!

Oh, almost forgot to mention that Australian friends of ours used this app TrackMyTour: Travel Sharing for iPhone and iPad to track their five month journey around the States last year. Maybe there's something like it you can use for your blog.
Thanks for the kind words, and especially for the trackmytour link! I was thinking about how I could show my journey in map form for my "The Where" tab. I'll definitely check it out and see if I can add it to my blog. Yay!

Old 08-14-2015, 06:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
And we have very good friends in Tucson whom we are planning on visiting while we're camping in the Spring. If you're around, I'll send you a private message and perhaps we can meet up .... unless you're camping in the hinterlands.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
And we have very good friends in Tucson whom we are planning on visiting while we're camping in the Spring. If you're around, I'll send you a private message and perhaps we can meet up .... unless you're camping in the hinterlands.
Please do message me when you come to town. It would be great to meet up. Not sure if I will have left on my adventure yet. I'm looking at the end of March, but that could change.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #6

I thought the next update I’d make to my blog would be to share all the wonderful modifications and renovations being made to “Sarandipity”, my tiny rv.

Then last month life put a huge speed-bump in my way called leukemia. My best laid plans have been postponed for a while as cancer and I have a little talk. In order for me to get on the road, I need to send him on his way first.

So, for a little while, I’ll use my blog to share the unexpected cancer journey I’m on; the detour that life has presented. I have not given up on my goal to hit the road and share my experiences, so sprinkled in among my leukemia story, will be updates on my “Sarandipity” travel preparations.

And so the story begins:

“I’m back.” | Sarandipity Travels

If you'd like to follow along you can hit the "Follow" button on the lower right hand side of the blog and it'll send you an email when I've made a new post.

I'll see my fellow Escapee's on the road soon.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:03 PM   #7

Trailer: none
So sorry you are having to deal with this 'bump' as you call it. Keep up your spirits and your hope...there are great treatments out there and many cancers are now more like chronic conditions to be dealt with and lived with. As a survivor of Non Hodgkins Lymphoma I can tell you that the path can be tough at times but just hang in there and keep you great adventure plans as your goal to get you through it. Best wishes.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Keep your plans and dreams and continue to move forward. Your mental attitude will be the best weapon you have against this. You bought a trailer and you are going to use it a lot. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Sara I'm sitting here just don't know what to say. Hopefully I won't say the wrong thing. It's heartbreaking to to hear of this development. I only know you through this forum and now your blog but I feel that connection. Please know that I am sending positive thoughts and energy your way. I love what you've written so far and very much want to see a happy ending to this story. Stay strong, my friend.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:36 AM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I'm very sorry to hear about your "detour". Thank you for sharing your journey. I hope that soon you'll be in your Escape and enjoying exploring.
Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:56 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarandipity View Post
Then last month life put a huge speed-bump in my way called leukemia. My best laid plans have been postponed for a while as cancer and I have a little talk. In order for me to get on the road, I need to send him on his way first.
I look forward to following your blog. Seems like fun.

Not fun is the leukemia thing. I know because over 26 years ago I tried it. Kicked the crap out of it, I am glad (and able) to say, and it ended up being nothing more than a little sidetrack in my life. Like Loren & Cathy eluded to, I too very adamantly believe that a strong and positive mental disposition is one of the keys to success, You seem to have the right attitude, and I wish you well in your path to beating this leukemia thing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:35 AM   #12

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words! What I haven't written about in the blog yet (working my way there in the story) is that it turns out I have a rare, and very treatable form of leukemia. It will be a long, unpleasant process, about 2 years, but they expect I will be cured at the end of it all. So, although, these first few posts will be a bit dark because that's where I was in the process at the beginning, it gets better as I have gotten better.

FMLNM: I love it when I hear from survivors. You have an insight into what this journey looks like. Congratulations on beating Non Hodgkins!

Loren & Cathy: I agree, mental attitude is a huge player. That's part of the reason I decided to write about this experience - giving me an outlet to express how I'm feeling.

Jill: I think when someone reaches out, it's not about what they say. It's that they say something at all, so that you know they care. So, no... you couldn't say anything wrong to me about this. I just appreciate your sending support and being a kind friend to someone you have only met recently. Thank you!

Joanne: Thanks! I've no doubt I'll get there. A little later than expected, but it'll be all the sweeter!

Old 11-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Sara,
I'm a retired Oncology nurse. It can be terrifying but remember they have made huge strides in cancer treatment and folks that have a good attitude and sense of humor do the best. Take it one day at a time, it's a simple strategy but works well. A few more tips for the road:
  • Practice relaxation techniques.
  • Share your feelings honestly with family, friends, a spiritual adviser or a counselor.
  • Keep a journal to help organize your thoughts.
  • When faced with a difficult decision, list the pros and cons for each choice.
  • Find a source of spiritual support.
  • Set aside time to be alone.
  • Remain involved with work and leisure activities as much as you can.
What comforted you through rough times before your cancer diagnosis is likely to help ease your worries now. I can tell that you are already on the road to recovery in your journey. I'm glad that you have the Escape and adventures to look forward to in your future. All the best to you!

Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:43 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Sara,
As the Godparents of your 17B we felt an immediate connection to you when you first emailed us your story of travel plans and we were so happy that you were able to get the trailer. Having met you and followed your early blog we were initially saddened by your news, but then realized how special you are and you will beat this and get back on schedule for your dream.
We send you our love, and prayers as you walk through your bump in the road and we will be following your saga as it moves to a successful next phase.

Greg, Janea, & the Quartzsite kids......
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #15

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Sara - bummer about the medical issue. Two years to recover from it - wow! Will you have to stay home during those two years or can you start to use your trailer for some shorter trips?

I was not aware of your blog until this post popped up. I checked it out - great blog and I love the layout of it. Love the story of your doggies. My mom "acquired" one of my cats the same way you got your dog from your parents. I laughed pretty good over that.

Best of luck with getting past the cancer. Oh, I found it interesting you called gave it a gender. Most people I think just say "it".

I look forward to future blog posts as I'm going to subscribe to it.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:21 PM   #16

Trailer: 5.0 TA June 2016
Sara
i wish you all the best in your medical treatments and that you are on the road soon. i enjoyed your blog very much, you make the reader feel like they are in a conversation with you. JR
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:56 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Sara, when I was a kid growing up in the 50's cancer was a word synonymous with death. Now there are millions of us who are survivors, as you will be. I play poker with 5 buddies and now 3 of us are survivors.

The worst day of my life was the call from my Dr confirming that the biopsy showed I had cancer. The best day was the follow up after my surgery when the surgeon said that he was confident he got it all out. As others have already said, I think a positive attitude is one of the keys, and you surely have that.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Sara, when I was a kid growing up in the 50's cancer was a word synonymous with death. Now there are millions of us who are survivors, as you will be. I play poker with 5 buddies and now 3 of us are survivors.
Not even that far back. It was '89 when I had leukemia, and at that time the success rate was less than 50%. 10 years earlier it was pretty much a death sentence.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:09 AM   #19

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I had stage three breast cancer about twelve years ago. One very tough year and one year that was a little less tough. I know it's a different journey for each but it helped me to think about it that way. I've been very healthy since and able to resume all my activities. I feel blessed to be alive and healthy. All the best to you focus on the fun things you will be doing in a year or two!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I look forward to following your blog. Seems like fun.

Not fun is the leukemia thing. I know because over 26 years ago I tried it. Kicked the crap out of it, I am glad (and able) to say, and it ended up being nothing more than a little sidetrack in my life. Like Loren & Cathy eluded to, I too very adamantly believe that a strong and positive mental disposition is one of the keys to success, You seem to have the right attitude, and I wish you well in your path to beating this leukemia thing.
Thanks for the message, Jim. Great to hear a long-term survivor story like yours! Loved the "kicked the crap out of it" comment! I'm working on doing the same.