what durable *non plastic* plates and bowls are good? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2017, 08:34 AM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I thought the discontinued sink Escape used to install was a plastic Corelle type material? Staining was the issue. I use the porcelain covered metal plates and use a paper plate on top when washing is an issue. See here https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-24-Pi...mping+dish+set
You may be thinking of Corian, which is a plastic. Corelle is glass.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:37 AM   #22

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Using paper plates is akin to using a one sheet of single ply TP.

I don't like using them to the degree that I would gladly go to the trouble to take the 30 seconds to wash and dry them.

Don't even get me started on having to chew on the broken tine of a plastic fork.
I might agree with you but all things kitchen are beyond my pay grade.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #23

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I looked into other materials for home. I don't like stoneware, breaks too easily. Melamine isn't supposed to go in the microwave. Ended up sticking with Corelle. But I'm going to get something else to replace paper in the trailer since most of my cooking and eating is outside. Probably melamine since I don't use a microwave.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
We've used Corelle for many years and have been very satisfied with them.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:50 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
One out of five ain't bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Corel.jpg  
Old 09-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Corelle has worked great for us. Bought a set about 6 years ago, they have traveled many miles in our camper. We love em.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 19'
I think you have to decide if you want something that's just harder to break (but potentially messier to clean up), Corelle works well here.. or it can never break (then metal/plastic).. stainless steel bowls and plates are really durable and will also last a long time.. If you are looking for decent soup bowls you can try the double walled stainless steel bowls, in Korean supermarket or you can find them on Amazon.. they come in different sizes
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Hi all

We have some lightweight plastic bowls and plates (camping style) in our Escape, but when i pour really hot soup into a bowl, or put a really hot salmon steak on a plate, i kind of cringe, when i think about the plastic and the big heat...

Our plastic plates and bowls aren't all that nice anyway, so something a little nicer (and a bit bigger) yet still wont break if it gets dropped .....

any suggestions?

(edit - looking for about a 10" dinner plate - most camping plates are 7.5")

bonus points for an amazon web link, but if they need to come from elsewhere OK.
online would be best

thanks

john

We have always used enamelware while camping. We find it durable and easy to clean. We currently have a full set + from Crow Canyon. A local Mennonite store carries the products and sells a lot of it.

https://www.crowcanyonhome.com/collections/all

From the site -

Q. Is enamelware food safe?
A. Crow Canyon home enamelware is completely food safe (even when chipped), and is rigorously tested to meet both FDA and California Food Safety regulations. Crow Canyon Home is also certified by the FDA office in Oakland, CA. Every shipment that is imported is tested by an independent certified lab before it is shipped to the U.S.
Our commitment to quality and food safety is one of our distinguishing characteristics – our products are not only stylish and add to any home décor, but they are equally safe for use in the kitchen and on the table.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:36 AM   #29

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Forgot to mention - Crow Canyon offers a starter set (page 4 of products page) that works well. Sometimes there are real deals on discontinued colors and internet searches often locate bargains.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:06 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I can't believe some folks are such brutes with their plates etc. We're using Corelle that we bought in 1983 for one of our boats. Never broken one yet, bounced a couple of pieces off the floor, but never broken one.

But then I'm still using "Canada 1" America's Cup free give away glasses also from 1983. Guess I grew up in a household that seriously frowned on glassware hitting the floor.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:21 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I can't believe some folks are such brutes with their plates etc. We're using Corelle that we bought in 1983 for one of our boats. Never broken one yet, bounced a couple of pieces off the floor, but never broken one.

But then I'm still using "Canada 1" America's Cup free give away glasses also from 1983. Guess I grew up in a household that seriously frowned on glassware hitting the floor.

Ron

We also use Corelle, and have never broken a plate, cup or bowl. Don't think we drop them very much either. Here is a video of us doing our dishes in our Escape.

https://youtu.be/_JBHPFiFWRk

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
thanks everyone for the great suggestions

I think we are leaning towards Corelle - as they can go in the microwave, and are cost effective.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:11 PM   #33

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i don't love Corelle but i have some. Also use some kind of thick plastic type and some enamel plates guess i haven't found anything i love.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:31 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
i don't love Corelle but i have some. Also use some kind of thick plastic type and some enamel plates guess i haven't found anything i love.
With you on Corelle having had it since it first was introduced on the market . We do think it it's gets brittle as it ages . Removed from the house when plate dropped and shattered with big pieces of glass . In the house now since 1994 have IKEA dinnerware . The plain white . Very sturdy glassware . For the camper years ago found a nice set when we had Meryrn's dept store 1/2 off . Have had it for years like a Melanie . We like the nautical look . 2 kinds of paper plates , cheap and better . Tervis coffee mugs and 2 plastic cups for juice . We also have paper cups . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0212.jpg   IMG_0213.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:04 PM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
We use Corelle, which is made of Vitrelle - a laminated tempered glass. It gets dropped, and usually does not break, but occasionally a piece will shatter, particularly if it hits something hard when it drops (or something hard is dropped on it).

I don't know if Corelle gets more brittle as it ages, but it does shatter more easily when scratched, so with wear (rather than with time) it get easier to break. We've had a couple plates break when we wouldn't have expected them to, probably due to what they had been through previously. It does tend to break into a few large pieces and many sharp shards (whether you notice them or not), which are certainly a safety issue.

I noticed in a store recently that there was another brand of similar dinnerware, made in France. Arcopal is the traditional French opaque tempered glass dinnerware, but it is out of production, and I think it was the current replacement - Luminarc. I assume that it is laminated and comparable to Corelle, but I don't know... but it's another potential option.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:49 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
I use Corelle. I recently also began using a set of these Con-tact Brand "Dish Protectors" between them, so they don't knock against each other as we go bumping down the road.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2017, 05:54 PM   #37

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
This is what I'm using. Not currently available from Amazon but you can find 'em on ebay. The mfgr is out of stock as well, so I'm thinking they might be discontinuing 'em, which is a bummer as I love 'em. I have all 3 sizes (9, 7.5 and 6"), plus the cups to go with them.

Yep, not microwave safe, but that's okay as I don't have a microwave in our trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:15 PM   #38

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
There are microwaveable plates for camping sold by RV shops and camping suppliers. They are scratched up by utensils but hot food will not damage them since a microwave won't.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #39

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Paper everything is the only way to go. And there ECO friendly Bio degrade and burn real good too. I even use a paper plate more than once if it's not to bloodied up from a Good Canadian AAA 26 day steak . Other wise you need A ( male ) dishwasher soap, water , towels and treats For the dish washer . And a quality control expert . Just kidding ...
Old 09-05-2017, 07:38 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
Paper everything is the only way to go. And there ECO friendly Bio degrade and burn real good too. I even use a paper plate more than once if it's not to bloodied up from a Good Canadian AAA 26 day steak . Other wise you need A ( male ) dishwasher soap, water , towels and treats For the dish washer . And a quality control expert . Just kidding ...
Do you cook with paper pots and eat with paper forks too? Dish water is always needed for clean up, even for wiping counters and tables.

Like my trailer and the elements I built into it, no compromise.

I am finding more and more that there are lots of places where there is no burning allowed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote