what durable *non plastic* plates and bowls are good? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2017, 09:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question what durable *non plastic* plates and bowls are good?

Hi all

We have some lightweight plastic bowls and plates (camping style) in our Escape, but when i pour really hot soup into a bowl, or put a really hot salmon steak on a plate, i kind of cringe, when i think about the plastic and the big heat...

Our plastic plates and bowls aren't all that nice anyway, so something a little nicer (and a bit bigger) yet still wont break if it gets dropped .....

any suggestions?

(edit - looking for about a 10" dinner plate - most camping plates are 7.5")

bonus points for an amazon web link, but if they need to come from elsewhere OK.
online would be best

thanks

john
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Corelle is what we have used with all of travel trailers. Relatively light, very tough and excellent for steaks.

Here's a link to Amazon. Just search for Corelle.
amazon.ca
Or
amazon.com
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
So far so good with Corelle here.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:46 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We like Corelle. It's relatively cheap, durable, lightweight and easy to clean. Also microwave safe if your trailer has a microwave and you want to heat something. Amazon and pretty much any dinnerware retailer will have lots of Corelle to choose from.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
so far Corelle is the clear winner. I was wondering....

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I'll dissent. I love Corelle and use it at home but I would never, ever take it camping. The reason is that when it does break it shatters not into safe little pieces but sharp pointed shards of glass. They would be impossible to clean up from a campsite. At home, easy to sweep up (and less likely unless you have very hard floors to break) but if they got into the dirt or gravel at a campsite you'd never get the splinters of glass safely off the ground.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I'll dissent. I love Corelle and use it at home but I would never, ever take it camping. The reason is that when it does break it shatters not into safe little pieces but sharp pointed shards of glass. They would be impossible to clean up from a campsite. At home, easy to sweep up (and less likely unless you have very hard floors to break) but if they got into the dirt or gravel at a campsite you'd never get the splinters of glass safely off the ground.
Very good point Bobbie!

I went to Goodwill for my plates. Have found some very good looking china there.

Who says plates have to match?

Tom
Old 09-04-2017, 10:57 PM   #8

Quote:
This just is not the case, we have the experience to prove it. They are extremely tough. I know of a set involved in a roll over accident. Only 1 plate and one bowl were broken, and no shards.

I have dropped a lot of pieces and have never had one break.

There is a good reason they are the number one choice for RV folk. I dunno, maybe others that use them have had a different experience.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-04-2017, 11:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Good point, Bobbie. However it is pretty tough stuff and we have never managed to break a single dish. We use a Corelle service for 6 and so far they have proven to be quite durable for us. One got knocked off the picnic table without breaking last time we were out. Granted if the table had been on a concrete pad rather than a forest floor, the result may have been different. But so far, so good.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:15 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This just is not the case, we have the experience to prove it. They are extremely tough. I know of a set involved in a roll over accident. Only 1 plate and one bowl were broken, and no shards.

I have dropped a lot of pieces and have never had one break.

There is a good reason they are the number one choice for RV folk. I dunno, maybe others that use them have had a different experience.
Well shucks ..... I have broken quite a few small bowls and a couple plates. When they broke, they shattered, kinda exploded into very many sharp splinters. Finding all the pieces would be impossible in dirt or gravel. Yes, have dropped many dishes without shattering, but must have hit at just the right angle or hitting solid surfaces.

I think that if the Neanderthals had only had Corel instead of flint for their spear points, they'd still be around ... and a lot fatter too.

Tom
Old 09-04-2017, 11:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 19'
We use corelle stuff when camping, only had one plate broke for the 4 years or so of abusing it. We lugged them around for bumpy rides, sitting in the tool chest in our little offroad trailer...

When it did break that one time, it was the plate sitting on the table and a gust of wind blew/flipped the plate and it landed on gravel.. it shattered to pieces but since we were eating outside it wasn't too bad/dangerous.. otherwise we've dropped them multiple time and they seem to survive well.. Also, we were using the square-ish plate.. I'm thinking it breaks easier than the round ones too.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:24 AM   #12

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
We have round Corelle plates for about 5 years--never had any break--but have lost a small plate!
Old 09-05-2017, 03:12 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We were also worried about Corelle shattering and ended up going with stainless steel: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Not the cheapest, but they're compact, light, and very durable. Definitely no worries about breaking or heat.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:23 AM   #14

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Wonder if they get more brittle with age. I've had them bounce and had them shatter. We have a set in the trailer but don't use them much, only when paper plates won't do.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:40 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I thought the discontinued sink Escape used to install was a plastic Corelle type material? Staining was the issue. I use the porcelain covered metal plates and use a paper plate on top when washing is an issue. See here https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-24-Pi...mping+dish+set
Old 09-05-2017, 06:46 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... I really like our Corelle dinner ware in the trailer, but the best plates for eating are my upper and lower ones!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:32 AM   #17

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I thought the discontinued sink Escape used to install was a plastic Corelle type material? Staining was the issue.

I don't know what the discontinued sink was, but I've used Corelle at home for 25+ years. It's a tough glass type of product. I've never seen any staining.

I've dropped plates many times and rarely had one break. When they do break, I've seen both the shattering and the few large pieces. I have very hard tile in my kitchen. It's hard to believe that the vinyl floor in my trailer poses any danger to Corelle. Even gravel should rarely cause a break. IMO Concrete could break it, but not very often.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:57 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have a matching service of Dixie dinner & salad plates plus bowls.
We are part of the less is better crowd when it comes to washing dishes , plus we have very few formal dinners when camping .
We do have a set of fluted wine glasses , Why ? I don't know.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:12 AM   #19

Using paper plates is akin to using a one sheet of single ply TP.

I don't like using them to the degree that I would gladly go to the trouble to take the 30 seconds to wash and dry them.

Don't even get me started on having to chew on the broken tine of a plastic fork.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:32 AM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Wonder if they get more brittle with age. I've had them bounce and had them shatter. We have a set in the trailer but don't use them much, only when paper plates won't do.
They do get worse with age. I agree they are hard to break, but when they do it is very dangerous. Inside an RV with a vinyl or linoleum floor, fine. You can vacuum. (Just get your shoes on first and do a really, really good job as you'll find shards for weeks otherwise.)

Supposedly the newer ones are a different process (and are worse) but mine are about 20 plus years old so I assume not the newer ones. (But I tried buying a new set and the plates came warped so will wait until I can pick them out at the store.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote