What essentials should I take on a 6 week trip? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2018, 09:17 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
2019 Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta

For anybody interested in making RV reservations for the 2019 Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, they open October 23, 2018 at 9 am MDT. More information is available at
https://balloonfiesta.com/index.php/...rv-information
The weekend reservations tend to fill quickly.

Being local, we've never camped.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:21 AM   #22

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
It’s not a thing or a gadget, but if you don’t already have a campground app on your phone I would recommend the Good Sam app and maybe the KOA app. I particularly like the Good Sam app which shows non Good Sam campgrounds as well.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:40 AM   #23

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
The Allstays App includes all the camping spots. Good Sam, AAA, BLM, National/State etc etc.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:13 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Sounds like a fantastic trip and we look forward to adventures like this.
Don't forget your favorite pillow, be sure to let at least one person know your plans, let neighbors know you will be gone so they can keep and eye on your house. stop your mail, be sure to pay any bills that might be due. If you have plants what are you going to do about those?
Clothes, I believe in the layering method what ever you do just be sure you have all possibilities covered and like many have said you will have plenty of places along the way to get most things you could need but not that favorite pillow

Safe and enjoyable travels,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #25

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanLewis View Post
For anybody interested in making RV reservations for the 2019 Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, they open October 23, 2018 at 9 am MDT. More information is available at
https://balloonfiesta.com/index.php/...rv-information
The weekend reservations tend to fill quickly.

Being local, we've never camped.

Thanks, Stan! Great Info!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #26

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
For a 6 week trip I would take extra hitch ball grease, extra gloves to handle the stinky slinky, a torque wrench and a small air compressor if you don't normally bring it along.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I would suggest you carry two credit cards . We were in Florida one year and someone gained access to our account . The credit card company caught it and notified us .
They said they would not charge us for the fraudulent purchases , they would close our account and mail us a new card to our billing / home address . We were 1200 miles from home and thankfully we had a second credit card so we could finish our trip .
While I agree that carrying two credit cards makes sense, you might consider another credit card provider. When I had a compromised card, mine sent me a new card at my traveling address by Fed Ex overnight. Sending to a home address when I'm on an 8 month trip wouldn't work...
Old 10-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #28
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
We tend to to be travelers more than campers, on the road from 5-6 weeks exploring various parts of the West and finding gold nuggets in each town we visit. Can't wait to go cross country next year for a longer length of time. What we find is that we need to be prepared for all types of weather. Temperatures on our last trip ranged from low 100's to mid-30's. Fall comes early in different parts of the country. The clothes that aren't in immediate use are stored under the bed in the very back in our duffle bags.
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:35 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 T
This summer we did a 7500 mile 9+week trip to alaska and back. We took too many clothes. Unless you are a full timer in a 35+ ft rig, the washing machines are useless. Since you will be in civilization most of the time, you can find laundramats. I keep two small containers of quarters, one US and the other Canadian.

If you are already properly equipped for fresh water and septic you are probably fine. We took too many and large accessories like outdoor cooking table and bulky chairs. We have slimmed down since. I do use a water filtration system that will remove lead and parasites: 0.5micron. CPB-10 available from amazon. I sanitize my system every month.

I took my Honda 2000W generator but never ran it. We do have the solar panel.

Our trip was with FANTASY RV TOURS. I would strongly recommend them to anyone. We ran into some other companies on the trip and were really glad we chose the company we did. Best money I ever spent.

I would have driven myself crazy and would have never planned as full and manageable trip.

They also have a Balloon Festival rally package which might save you some headaches.
Lee.Artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #30

Balloon Fiesta RV Reservations

Just for grins, I went to the balloon fiesta RV site just now. Here's what they have:

STANDARD: $40.00 per night (dry camping) (South RV Lot)

BOX VIEW: $50.00 per night (dry camping) (South RV Lot)

PREMIUM: $95.00 per night (30Amp and water connection) (South RV Lot)

VIP West/East: $100.00 per night (dry camping, adjacent to the Launch Field with 2 general admission tickets for each session included during your stay.)

PRESIDENT'S COMPOUND: $250.00 per night (Sites on a bluff overlooking the Launch Field with city water pressure and 30-50 Amp RV Hook-up, this site also includes up to 4 general admission tickets to the Launch Field valid during your stay.)

But: they are now offline until tomorrow at 9:00 AM MDT, and are already sold out for Premium, VIP, and President's Compound sites. My guess is, if you want to stay on-site at balloon fiesta park, you best book tomorrow morning, especially for the weekends.

Whether it's worth the effort is an eye of the beholder thing, but I will say that Jeanne has attended every year since 1989. I've missed a few, but not many.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
Old 10-23-2018, 04:16 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I was there in ‘17 w/ an Aframe group. We stayed at the bernalillo Koa which is one of the nicest and the people working there are fantastic. I think they have a shuttle to the fairgrounds—you can call and ask. I don’t think it was more than @55 a night but that may have been a group rate. I liked being a bit away from the center of activity. I would also recommend the tramway up the mountain. Beautiful views.

Also agreeing on nixing the washer. Lots of campgrounds have laundry and it can all be done at once.

I am just wrapping up a 12,000 mile 15 week trip from calif to Nova Scotia and back. If you’re an AAA member be sure to get the state tour books. I found a lot of interesting things I would have otherwise missed.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:23 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Another balloon trip event....

Cochiti Corps park has been mentioned, the little park at Bernalillo is very nice too, but booked, I’m sure. There are a few buses that will take you to the fiesta from Coronado mall and other park/rides, they’re worth it. Quiet Waters Paddling tour operators has a canoe/kayak float trip called “float the fiesta”, it was amazing! It’s an early riser (as most of the balloon events are) that hits the river at 5:30 or so and several guides lead you down the very shallow rio grande to where the ballons are drifting over the river. Some of the balloons attempt “dip and go’s” in the river, one dipped and flew back up right over us, giving us a soaking as it slowly went over us-unforgettable!

And if you have time and they’re still running, the Chama/Antonito railroad run this time of year is amazing with the fall colors, but do it one way...Chama-Antonito with a bus ride back! We spent the entire ride on the open air car with a very knowledgeable volunteer guide!
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:55 PM   #33

FWIW, as of now the Balloon Fiesta RV 'park' is fully booked for the first weekend of the 2019 event. Still some spots mid-week and for the second weekend. It's definitely one of those events that requires advance planning.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:24 PM   #34

Quote:
FWIW, as of now the Balloon Fiesta RV 'park' is fully booked for the first weekend of the 2019 event. Still some spots mid-week and for the second weekend. It's definitely one of those events that requires advance planning.
Thank-You, Stan! We are booked 3 nights: Oct. 8-10 (Tue-Thur). BTW only Standard Dry sites were available for these dates. Really looking forward to it!

Old 10-28-2018, 12:52 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Thank-You, Stan! We are booked 3 nights: Oct. 8-10 (Tue-Thur). BTW only Standard Dry sites were available for these dates. Really looking forward to it!
All of the sites with power and/or water were booked right away on the first morning that reservations opened. I checked about 1:00 pm that day, and they were already all gone. Best guess is that they were sold out in the first hour or less.

Too bad you're not here for a weekend. The best events are first, mass ascensions (weather permitting, all 500 or so balloons go up in waves) that happen on the first Saturday and Sunday and second Saturday, and second, Special Shapes Rodeo on Thursday and Friday (most of the special shapes go up then). We always go for the special shapes and often try to hit a mass ascension as well. Here a a few photos from special shapes rodeo.
Attached Thumbnails
w-ABQ Balloon Fiesta-20181011-001-2.jpg   w-ABQ Balloon Fiesta-20181011-006-2.jpg   w-ABQ Balloon Fiesta-20181011-007-2.jpg  

Old 10-28-2018, 08:52 AM   #36

Quote:
All of the sites with power and/or water were booked right away on the first morning that reservations opened. I checked about 1:00 pm that day, and they were already all gone. Best guess is that they were sold out in the first hour or less.

Too bad you're not here for a weekend. The best events are first, mass ascensions (weather permitting, all 500 or so balloons go up in waves) that happen on the first Saturday and Sunday and second Saturday, and second, Special Shapes Rodeo on Thursday and Friday (most of the special shapes go up then). We always go for the special shapes and often try to hit a mass ascension as well. Here a a few photos from special shapes rodeo.
We were going to wait and plan with a friend for 2020, but you motivated us to sample early. Hopefully, we will return in 2020 as the friend needs hook-ups. (The poor sap doesn’t have an Escape with solar )

Cheers and Thanks!

Old 10-28-2018, 09:27 AM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
My wife and I swear by the AAA books. They list so much information and points of interest. We love their "Diamond Gem" designation for attractions. Only once in the innumerable places they have recommended that we have visited have we been slightly disappointed.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:45 AM   #38

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I did the Quiet Waters early paddling trip last year--it was fantastic. when we got to the place where the balloons were passing over, they stopped and fixed breakfast--yogurt, bagels and lox,etc. The rio grande there is, as mentioned, shallow. biggest "danger" is running aground, having to get out and back in in shallow, slow flowing water. highly recommended.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:27 PM   #39

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee.Artman View Post
I do use a water filtration system that will remove lead and parasites: 0.5micron. CPB-10 available from amazon. I sanitize my system every month.
I tried to find that filtration system performing a copy/paste re: Amazon and drew a blank. Is there another search parameter I could use? Thanks.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:01 PM   #40

Trailer: escape 21, 2018
Carry enough cash that you can fill up your gas tank. We have had it happen a couple of times in more remote locations that the gas station operator will say that there online access for processing a credit card is down. We weren't sure if it was a scam so that the operator could get some cash or what. Anyway we were glad we did have enough cash to pay for the gas and be on our way.
snowmtn is offline   Reply With Quote