what runs on battery without inverter? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2017, 11:16 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
So confused about inverters

Anybody know how long the refrig would last if it was just on battery?
I know that I could put it on gas.

Nancy
Regarding the refrigerator: My first time out in the trailer in sunny San Diego, I thought, ok, I can run the fridge on the battery--we have solar and an inverter. Not so! I drained the battery in a day!

I learned and now I know!

Lorna
Old 01-18-2017, 11:30 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornanaugle View Post
Regarding the refrigerator: My first time out in the trailer in sunny San Diego, I thought, ok, I can run the fridge on the battery--we have solar and an inverter. Not so! I drained the battery in a day!

I learned and now I know!

Lorna
Even running the fridge on 12v connected to the tow vehicle is a loosing battle. The fridge pulls a lot of amps! Escape now modifies the control board on the fridge so that it doesn't auto switch to 12v - you have to manually switch it. Too many people had bad experiences with the auto switch.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:20 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Is it difficult to get to the double 6 V battery in and out? My husband would take the battery into the house and leave it in the laundry room during the winter and it would start up just fine after that.do we have to have an outside latch for that or can we get it in and out through the inside bench?
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:58 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Thumbs down

Quote:
Is it difficult to get to the double 6 V battery in and out? My husband would take the battery into the house and leave it in the laundry room during the winter and it would start up just fine after that.do we have to have an outside latch for that or can we get it in and out through the inside bench?
No need to take the batteries out, they should just be kept at full charge. I have always left batteries in over the winter, and never had a problem. If they are discharged though, they will freeze.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:24 AM   #25

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
what runs on battery without inverter?

Nancy,

In my experience, the biggest 12V power hog is the furnace. Although the heat comes from propane, the fan must run. That fan takes more power than any other 12V device. If you plan to boondocking in cold weather, that could be a concern. Solar would solve that. I don't think the ceiling vent fan does not use as per as the furnace fan.

The fridge, when cooling on 12V, also takes a lot of power. I always run mine on propane so I don't have personal experience with that. When on propane, the fridge still uses 12V for the control circuits, but that's pretty minor power draw.

I second the motion about solar. The panels used for RV are pretty sturdy. Glass covered panels would not be a good thing for an RV.

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:45 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Ms.Quilting, I have a small hatch on my 5th wheel (don't shoot me it is a stick build for now) where I can plug in my portable solar panel cord in . You may want to talk to Tammy about that ... On an important note, the longer the cord to the portable panel the more "voltage drop" you will get so keep it a reasonable length. Also with a portable panel you will need a charge controller so it does not over charge your batteries. My charge controller is in my camper. Keep in mind that solar is not needed if you are plugged in or plan to mostly camp with full hook-ups. Keep asking questions until you feel comfortable about this information. Electricity can be confusing but when you are self contained all your resources need to be managed carefully to improve the camping experience! Have fun out there campers!
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:07 AM   #27

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornanaugle View Post
Just to avoid confusion for those that are learning about their electrical systems, the inverter would never come into play with the refrigerator. The inverter is only wired to outlets. The fridge when on 12V (if you have a model that is capable) is fed directly from the battery.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Even running the fridge on 12v connected to the tow vehicle is a loosing battle. The fridge pulls a lot of amps! Escape now modifies the control board on the fridge so that it doesn't auto switch to 12v - you have to manually switch it. Too many people had bad experiences with the auto switch.
I was hoping I could leave the refrig on battery for one night in case I had to check in to a hotel for some reason..... do you think it would still drain a double 6v?
Old 01-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
I was hoping I could leave the refrig on battery for one night in case I had to check in to a hotel for some reason..... do you think it would still drain a double 6v?
Absolutely no reason to run it off the battery in this event...keep it on propane.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:56 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Will absolutely drain your batteries and sound an alarm on fridge. Don't ask me how I know this happened in the middle of the night
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:57 AM   #31

Oh, ok Karen and Rossue, Thanks for the info. So only run on battery when you are going down the road. So if I stop to go into an restaurant for an hour what is the best thing to do?
Old 01-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Oh, ok Karen and Rossue, Thanks for the info. So only run on battery when you are going down the road. So if I stop to go into an restaurant for an hour what is the best thing to do?
There is no reason to ever run the fridge on batteries. Just leave it on propane at all times (driving, stopping, camping, etc). No worries.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:11 PM   #33

If the fridge on 12V is 350W as Alan said in post #20 then it is not really useful at all in my mind. I think many falsely believe that is the mode they will use when towing (because no 120V obviously and some may prefer propane off while underway). Solar and/or tow vehicle would be charging battery....but sounds like not fast enough. Can someone justify the need for the 12V DC mode at all? Do you actually use it successfully? I'm only familiar with the older 5CF Dometic that is propane and 120V AC and this has always worked great.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
There are many threads on this subject but here's the bottom line. Before leaving for a camping trip, plug the trailer into the house power to cool the refer--do this the day before. Put only cold food in the refer to maintain low temps. When underway, run the refer on propane. Or if you're averse to that for whatever reason (or on a ferry) you can run the refer off the battery but it does pull a lot of power; whether that loss is made up by solar input or tow input is dependent on a number of factors. The other option is not to run the refer at all when underway. Several people have cited that the refer will stay cold for several hours while underway. Again, this would depend on several factors including ambient temps.

In three years, I have never run the refer off the batteries. It's either on propane or, if I'm at a powered site, it's on 120v.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, don't open the fridge door if you can help it.
We place cheeses, sandwich meats and butter in a container that can be quickly removed from the fridge so that the door isn't held open while you root around.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:59 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Cannot emphasize solar and dual 6 volts will keep you charged and short times on battery will not hurt. When traveling I leave it on propane except when hooked to electric, then I manually switch over.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
If the fridge on 12V is 350W as Alan said in post #20 then it is not really useful at all in my mind. I think many falsely believe that is the mode they will use when towing (because no 120V obviously and some may prefer propane off while underway). Solar and/or tow vehicle would be charging battery....but sounds like not fast enough.
Just out of curiosity I looked up the 12V specs on the RMD8555 which seems to be a popular fridge. It draws 130W, so that is ~11 amps at 12V. So on paper with perfectly charged dual 6V batteries with 232 amp-hrs you would be drained in about 21 hours. In reality this would be much less because the battery is used by other things, batteries aren't perfectly charged and available amp-hrs are likely less than 232 depending on the rate battery is drained. Anyway this was just an exercise to get a ballpark on how long dual 6V batteries may last with fridge on 12V. Obviously you would have some coincident charging typically from tow vehicle or solar but the question is how much. I saw a post from John David from 8/2016 that said he did great with his fridge on 12V but he also had 320W of solar. That is double what ETI currently installs with their standard solar option.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Just out of curiosity I looked up the 12V specs on the RMD8555 which seems to be a popular fridge. It draws 130W, so that is ~11 amps at 12V. So on paper with perfectly charged dual 6V batteries with 232 amp-hrs you would be drained in about 21 hours. In reality this would be much less because the battery is used by other things, batteries aren't perfectly charged and available amp-hrs are likely less than 232 depending on the rate battery is drained. Anyway this was just an exercise to get a ballpark on how long dual 6V batteries may last with fridge on 12V. Obviously you would have some coincident charging typically from tow vehicle or solar but the question is how much. I saw a post from John David from 8/2016 that said he did great with his fridge on 12V but he also had 320W of solar. That is double what ETI currently installs with their standard solar option.
While this is, as you stated, an exercise, I'd like to add a couple of points to make it a bit more realistic:

First, to avoid damage to your batteries, they should not be drawn down to less than 1/2 of their capacity, so that takes us down to 10.5 hours.

As to recharging, while the 320 watts of solar might keep the batteries charged while running the refrigerator under ideal conditions, real world results will be a bit less. For example, I have 195 watts of solar on the roof & a 160 watt portable panel. On paper, the 355 watts of solar should give me almost 30 amps of charging current. Real world, I've never seen better than 20 amps of charging current from the combination.

Right now, with the portable panel aimed at where the sun would be if it wasn't for the clouds and light rain, combined with the roof top panels, my current charge rate is 1.1 amps with the solar controller in the bulk mode. Under clear skies I would be getting 15+ amps in the middle of a winter day, better during the summer, but with real weather, low angle winter sun, etc it is what it is. A couple of days like this in a row will leave you wanting.

Even with a pair of 6V batteries, I wouldn't count on being able to run the refrigerator on 12V for any serious length of time. If you must, I'd be more comfortable with doubling the battery capacity, and adding more solar or plan on using a generator to recharge the batteries. Propane makes far more sense for most users.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #39

John, great info. Thanks. Do you really need to cut my initial 21 hours in half? The "20hr" test that mfr's use to determine amp-hrs is supposed to ensure that amps are provided at a usable voltage (above 10.5). So I'm assuming that 232 AH is a true number to use more or less if you have dual Interstate 6V's.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:30 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 19'
...we now only run the refrigerator on battery when we travel and it's hooked to our vehicle. Our manual states that we should not run propane while in motion.

Also, glad to see others are finding the mechanics and electrical overwhelming. I just don't understand it and your replies have simplified this topic for me. Thanks for responding and Thanks for asking the question!

L-