what runs on battery without inverter? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2017, 06:33 AM   #61

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The only exception that runs from the batteries directly in my trailer is the power jack, because I connected it directly to them.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the only exceptions from the factory are the combination CO/propane detector and breakaway switch for the brakes are wired directly to the battery. This is to avoid a fuse being pulled or blown rendering these important items inoperable.

By the way, the Escape Owner's Manual has a nice write up on the trailer electrical systems on pages 38-43. No real specifics, but enough for a general understanding of the systems.

http://escapetrailer.com/wp-content/...nersManual.pdf
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #62

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Thanks everyone. I learned a lot. I don't need an inverter. I can run refrig on gas and not worry that it will run out anytime soon and I can do it while driving. A portable solar panel would be a good thing to keep my battery topped off. I will add a couple more 12 v plugs for boondocking.
Thanks, thanks, thanks!

Nancy,

This sounds like a winner. Enjoy boondocking!

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:01 AM   #63

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Past breakaway switches were not direct wired to the batteries. They required the operator to have the master power switch ON. Not sure if that is still the design.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:44 AM   #64

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Past breakaway switches were not direct wired to the batteries. They required the operator to have the master power switch ON. Not sure if that is still the design.
Good point. When I meant direct to the battery I meant not passing through the WFCO power center and therefore no fuse, but the main cutoff switch could render the breakaway useless as well. This is why they say to always have the switch ON unless in storage.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #65
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the only exceptions from the factory are the combination CO/propane detector....
Yes, you're right about the detector.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:14 AM   #66

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
In my 2010 17B, the master (cutoff switch) also disconnected the CO2 detector. The main purpose of the cutoff is to prevent any loads from draining the batteries while in storage. I don't believe the cutoff was ever intended to be used during towing or when occupying the trailer.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:07 PM   #67

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
12v fridge use

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Nancy,

This sounds like a winner. Enjoy boondocking!

Rich
Please be careful about running fridge on 12v for long distances..
you will be replacing your alternator on a regular basis. I've found that I can go 6 hrs. and all my stuff in fridge is still cold.
Again, I rarely plug my rig into a/c and I also find that sites are cheaper and available when I don't need a/c.
algonquin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:21 PM   #68

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
So my next question would be..... approx how many hours will the refrig in the 21 foot last on a tank of propane? I would be afraid I would use my propane up quickly.
Hi Nancy,
When I picked up my trailer - a 17A, Feb. 2016 I managed to get sick ... flu I guess. After orientation and delivery across the border, all I could do was to make it to the Walmart parking lot in Bellingham, Wa. Of course no hook ups. I stayed 6 days getting better while the outside temps hovered all over the 40's and barely into the 50's. I had my heater set at 70F and my refer (3.4 cu/ft) on propane the whole time. Now I wasn't cooking very much ... heating soup typically and wasn't opening the refer door very much. Day 7, while getting ready to leave I ran out of propane in my first (20 lb) tank.

I have spray foam insulation under the floor and the extra insulation package ... thermos windows and extra wall insulation. And my trailer is smaller than yours so less volume to heat and less surface area for heat to escape.... plus I wasn't cooking much and traveling solo.

Maybe this will give you some idea what you can expect for propane consumption. My guess for your larger trailer and two people would be about 4 days camping per 20 lb tank. Just a guess ... many variables.

My 150 watt roof solar was able to keep my charge up the whole time too for my two 6 volt batteries. But then I was mostly sleeping and not using lights much at night. I have all LED lights so I don't think that would have mattered much. My biggest electrical use would have been the fan on the heater and what ever the refer uses while on propane.

Tom

Hope this gives you some idea for planning. Maybe others with a 21 can chime in.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:12 PM   #69

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I should also add that so much depends on your camping style. How much and what do you cook, how much time do spend in your trailer. Are you outside for long enough to turn your heat off - these trailer really do heat up quickly. How warm do you want your trailer .... usually my thermostat is set for between 66 - 68F. Lots can affect your energy consumption.

Tom