What Television should I buy - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2019, 09:54 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 21 Build due for May Completion - towed by 2018 F150 S/Crew 3.5L EcoBoost XLT/FX4 6.5 Box
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
Everyone knows that Canada is about the worst place in the world for mobile phone pricing and the UK is very good. Every time I go i just pick up a SIM card for £10 and pop it into my phone. Can’t do that in Canada.
Spot On - Here in the UK I pay £5 per month for unlimited talk time and Texts plus 1 gb of data on 4G and even with a £10 burner they do not charge for the SIM. Whereas in Canada they seem to have cartel pricing. Profits must be huge for the operators.
AnglingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:24 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by buellfire View Post
Not sure on pricing data service in BC or Britain for that mater, but in the states our Verizon service is reasonable. We pay around $50.00 USD for each line and data service.
A "line" and data plan are not much more here in Canada, but the included amount of data per month at that price level (4 GB from the first provider that checked) is not sufficient to spend a lot of time watching videos.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:36 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglingMad View Post
Whereas in Canada they seem to have cartel pricing. Profits must be huge for the operators.
That's the general impression of the public, but operating costs are huge here, due the large area covered for a small population. The entire UK would fit in a quarter of any one of the larger Canadian provinces, and has almost double the Canadian population. The area covered with 4G service here in the province of Alberta alone is about double the size of the UK, with only 6% of the UK population to pay for it. I would encourage anyone who thinks that this business is highly profitable to invest their savings in telecomm shares and enjoy wealth which will surely result.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:29 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
I would go with a 12V TV even if you have an inverter, to avoid the wasted amps just running the inverter for extended periods. I have a 19" 720p Insignia, it comes with a 120VAC cord and "brick" which outputs 12VDC for the TV. I went to The Source (used to be Radio Shack), and got a 12V (cigarette lighter) plug and the 12V adapter to fit the TV end, to run the TV directly from a 12vDC outlet.

I find that analog cable reception is very grainy with my setup, and have not found digital cable more than once or twice. Not sure if the graininess is the TV or the coax wiring in the trailer. I prefer to watch whatever I can pick up with the Jack OTA antenna in HD. Usually it is news, local weather, and PBS if in range. Not a fan of most cable stuff anyway.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:54 PM   #25
Djs

Trailer: 2017 escape 17b
Have them install a 12 volt receptacle that you can plug your tv into. And get a tv that runs on 12 volts...even if you have a inverter. My inverter shuts off when the batteries go below a certain voltage but since the tv is 12 volt it keeps running. Also,I installed a piece of oak 3/4 x 6 x 42 inches screwing it into the stud in the wall between the bed and the fridge in my 17b. I then mounted the tv arm on the oakupright. I leave the tv in the mounting arm even when I am moving instead of laying the tv on the bed....over a year and about 20k miles on all kinds of roads and have never had a problem with tv or mount coming loose.the tv I have is an rca that runs native on 12 volts. (No brick needed)
I bought it at a walmart just south of the border just after picking up the new rig in chilliwack.
Djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:59 PM   #26
Djs

Trailer: 2017 escape 17b
If you buy the tv after you pick up your rig make sure they run the wires from the stereo that hook up to the tv. I paid to have this done but they decided not to do it because I didn't bring a tv with me to install. I had to pull the stereo apart and install the DVD cables myself even though I paid them to do it.
Djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:11 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
If you find that your tv will only output audio using Toslink like mine and want to have the audio from the tv play back through the stereo, this device works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Toslink to RCA converter.jpg  
Old 01-24-2019, 02:47 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape 21 Build due for May Completion - towed by 2018 F150 S/Crew 3.5L EcoBoost XLT/FX4 6.5 Box
Thumbs up

Good tips folks many thanks
Old 01-24-2019, 10:23 AM   #29

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
We installed a 24" Vizio model D24-D1 tv in our new E21. As we have both a Jack TV antenna and external CATV port, we are frequently changing the channel contiguration and signal source so something that makes that process easy was a sales point for us. The Vizio has a nice user interface that makes that process very simple.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:29 PM   #30

Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot FT-20
Amazon search here

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-li...&condition=all
Mszabokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:05 AM   #31

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
We use a 17" laptop computer as our television. You can purchase USB TV tuners fairly inexpensively, and they work great. Since you probably want some sort of computer with you, using the laptop as a TV means one less thing to cart around. We have a couple of smart TVs at home, but frankly, streaming over a computer is far easier.
rajenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:15 AM   #32

thanks for the tip on USB tuners I did not know about them but just found some on amazon.ca for circa 125CDN for a dual channel HDTV one. you are correct we will have a laptop with us but wanted to also have the standard TV set mounted. So will probably go for both options.