What to buy for a trailer kitchen? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2014, 09:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
What to buy for a trailer kitchen?

We're just weeks from the pickup date for our Escape 21', and our thoughts have shifted from the build list to stocking the kitchen. The dinnerware, flatware, and cookware options are bewildering, though, and we would love some guidance from experienced campers.

We're guessing that light-weight, shatterproof, and easy cleaning products would be best, but are not sure of the best brands. Please let us know what has worked for you.

As an example, Cheryl just bought a four-place Corelle dinnerware set. Are we on the right track with that?

If this thread is redundant, please post the link to a previous thread that covered this thoroughly. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
corelle.jpg  
Old 08-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Corelle is great stuff. We are still using most of the pieces from a set we bought for our first trailer, over twenty years ago. Thin and tough, and beats the crap outta paper, in my books.

We also like our Magma nesting pot set. Not light, but compact and a stellar cooking performer.

I would say to just stock the basics, what you need to get by, and just add (and remove) pieces as you go. We review everything once a year now, and take out almost anything not used from the year before, just to save space and weight.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I bought a set of Corelle (4 piece) especially for Ten Forward. I have plenty of kitchen stuff in the Scamp, but wanted something special for my new trailer. I still haven't found the flatware that I want... but I'll keep looking!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #4

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Less can be more sometimes . Just be careful to not over do stocking the kitchen, it's a easy place to end up with a lot of stuff that isn't needed.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
I'd keep a few paper plates on hand just in case. You'll be surprised how fast you can fill the gray water tank and washing dishes (at lest for me) is a significant contributor. Maybe we shouldn't have ordered the built in Kitchen Aide dishwasher option .
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I'd keep a few paper plates on hand just in case. You'll be surprised how fast you can fill the gray water tank and washing dishes (at lest for me) is a significant contributor. Maybe we shouldn't have ordered the built in Kitchen Aide dishwasher option .
Hi: Zardoz... We have the "Armstrong dishwasher" option. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Not reall my department but FWIW, we went with new square Corelle, insulated and non insulated plastic tumblers, some old but in good shape flatware, and splurged on the Magma cooking set. Everything else is just an assortment of what we've gathered over the years, mostly when the home items were replaced. I believe Deb wants to find some new dish towels.
We're not big on elaborate meals when camping/traveling, we have a few assorted spices, mostly the premixed blends for the grill, Pam type spray oil. The salt shakers have a tendency to attract humidity, rice mixed in helps. The usual pot holders, jar openers, can openers, spatulas and such.
Make a list as you camp of what you wish you had with you.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
This is not too much of an issue for us, as we usually wash outside and water the bushes with the dishwater.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
A resounding "Yes" to the Corelle. I bought four 4-piece place settings for Egbert--had to have a little class for my first and last trailer. It's great for camping. I did know when I ordered that the mugs were porcelain so only have one in the trailer for another use; the others are stored. Nice plastic glasses and insulated cups are perfect for drinking and hot beverages.
Attached Thumbnails
Egbert Mem Day 2013B.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This is not too much of an issue for us, as we usually wash outside and water the bushes with the dishwater.
Hi: Jim Bennett... So that's why I always find odd flatware in the bushes!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #11

Our 20 yo Corelle cups are made of the same material as the plates and bowls. We don't use them for coffee, but they are great for other beverages, way better than plastic, and have been put into use for wine, beer, juice, water, etc. I think we only carry a couple of them.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jim Bennett... So that's why I always find odd flatware in the bushes!!! Alf
You must know my dishwashing skills quite well, Alf. More than a couple times, the "baby" has been thrown out with the bath water.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
May I add a timer and food thermometer? And, buy the same quality you would use at home or you'll be constantly irritated. I've got measuring cups and spoons that no longer indicate what size they are. Those are about to be replaced.
I have a plan to fill a container under the bed with all the stuff that we don't use. That way I don't have to get into an argument about whether we need it or not. "I didn't throw it out Dear, it's under the bed".
Old 08-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I like the collapsible dishes, not only for the pets but also a set for left overs with lids and for general use. http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Silicon...apsible+dishes
Old 08-13-2014, 12:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
I have a large collapsible bowl (that is handy for get togethers) and a collapsible strainer.

Our pots are from my parents wedding LOOONG time ago--Rena Ware...

I agree with Glen about the quality--yes, I have Pampered Chef stuff and Norwex for the trailer..

And Corelle dishes are great--we don't use the mugs either..We use our stainless ones.

Cheap but heavy glass beer mugs but Lurex wine glasses?Hmm, we did have glass wine glasses for many years but they were too small!
Old 08-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 1964 Globetrotter
I have a whistling teakettle that gets hard use. It's small and fits in another pot. Best of all it has a loud whistle so I can put it on to heat and just keep an ear out for the alert. They still make these - a 6 cup revereware kettle - they run about 16 bucks
Attached Images

Escape Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #17

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Corkscrew, wine glasses (glass), margarita glasses (glass), beer glasses (glass), blender...and some other stuff...
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 - Audi Q7
I read somewhere (possibly on this forum) that a Thermos Nissan Thermal cooker is good idea for foods that need longish cooking times. Do any of you have experience using it?

Sylvia
kands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kands View Post
I read somewhere (possibly on this forum) that a Thermos Nissan Thermal cooker is good idea for foods that need longish cooking times. Do any of you have experience using it?

Sylvia
Hi Sylvia,
We bought the Nissan Thermal Cooker and it does a great job for soup, stews, and the like. The stainless pot that comes with it doubles as a 'regular' cooking pot on the stove saving some space. Kinda pricey, but very well made.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:04 PM   #20

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
I really like the small Rubbermaid cutlery drawer recommended on this forum and it doubles the top drawer space. Some other items I've found useful in the kitchen are: magnetic spice holders, microfibre dish drying mat, command hooks for hanging stove lighter, Broadstone nesting pots/skillet (not the best quality but a good price, very light and the set meets all of my pan needs), Lagostina skillet with fold-in handles (the pot set fits in it perfectly), battery operated puck light for the pantry, Rubbermaid and Ziploc containers that stack inside each other, 2 cutting boards that can double as trivets. As others have said, Corelle is wonderful. Happy shopping
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote