What Trip Planner Do You Use, and Why? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2022, 12:51 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Planning our trip from TX to Sumas and back to pick up our 21C. We will take our time coming back, smell the flowers some.

What trip planner do you use, and why? It does not have to be free, but at least reasonable would be nice.
Other suggestions are great but do check out this site:

https://freecampsites.net

It’s a network of free or low cost campsites, has a planner of sorts included. It has come in super useful for us more than once.

And while we’re at it, here’s another Very useful site (among several). You’ll be needing to find black tank dump sites, especially if you ever travel through the east coast states:

https://rvdumpsites.net

Happy travels!
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 02:36 PM   #22

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21C
Beekeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Planning our trip from TX to Sumas and back to pick up our 21C. We will take our time coming back, smell the flowers some.

What trip planner do you use, and why? It does not have to be free, but at least reasonable would be nice.

Does it have decent navigation? Information on USFS, COE, BLM and state park/local campgrounds? Can it adapt to spur of the moment changes?

How often do you use it? What do you wish it had, and why?
If you like Boondocking the Benchmark Atlases are wonderful. There are about 15 or 16 of them. One per state, mostly western states.
Beekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:55 PM   #23

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Trip Planning

I just finished my first round trip cross country trip with my dog and 17B.
I mostly used combo of Google Maps, Trip Wizard, and Rand McNally atlas with paper state maps for bigger view while still enjoying more detail.

I DO find it frustrating that we lose so much detail on electric maps, when zooming out to get a better sense of place and where I might want to be going… So paper is still a very welcomed friend!

Trip Wizard has a number of nice features, and I realize I still have a lot to learn re how to optimally use the app. There IS a series of YouTube videos which help. I took advantage of overlays for a variety of services, over night parking and camping options, but found attempts at dragging/rerouting by dragging awful. (I had to add in a bunch of tiny towns as extra stops, to get the route to go off more main routes, even though I’d selected to avoid highways.)

I used Google a LOT, searching “dog parks near…” to better avail than various dog park/travel apps I have. (My dog is young, and not yet consistently reliable with recall, for me to not want fenced in areas for him to get in good romps.) We had great times at some wonderful dog parks - large and small, and people consistently welcoming! I DID get better at sorting out, on-line, some were for members only, but they were relatively few. One I was asked to pay $2 use fee, but I was more than happy to. I wish Trip Wizard had a dog park overlay…but, ah well…

Id be interested in anyone else’s recommendations re including dog parks in their travels!

One more app I was glad I had was a free weather app with impressively accurate predictions. Maybe it was just good luck, but I was successfully able to play hopscotch with some winter storms.
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:00 PM   #24

Trailer: August 2017 17b
‘Weather & Radar - Storm Alerts”
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote