What Trip Planner Do You Use, and Why? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2022, 04:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
What Trip Planner Do You Use, and Why?

Planning our trip from TX to Sumas and back to pick up our 21C. We will take our time coming back, smell the flowers some.

What trip planner do you use, and why? It does not have to be free, but at least reasonable would be nice.

Does it have decent navigation? Information on USFS, COE, BLM and state park/local campgrounds? Can it adapt to spur of the moment changes?

How often do you use it? What do you wish it had, and why?
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 04:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I just use Google. I figure out what I want to see along the way and then work out possible camp spots.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Yep, same here. Google. Went across the country and back with google.

There was one time in PA that google wanted me to turn left to go under railroad tracks that were clearly marked 9’7” clearance. I saw the sign, and skipped that turn. Went to a larger street that had more clearance. Glad I caught that.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 11:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
We got Allstays through a forum recommendation years ago, when we started our winter snowbird trips. I think we paid $10, I think the pricing model is different now. We don't use it very often, as we just go back to our favourite sites. I think it covers private, state, county, BLM, USFS sites, we gravitative more toward state parks. After a few years, you know most places where you want to go.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 02:30 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
I use RV Trip Wizard. Enter your truck and trailer size and it avoids low clearance. You can set your average speed and set a radius of either hours or miles. For instance, I have my radius set for 300 miles per day, so I see a circle showing that distance so I can plan stops. It will show campgrounds and rest stops. I use the PC version but I think they have an app now.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:18 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
RV trip Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
I use RV Trip Wizard. Enter your truck and trailer size and it avoids low clearance. You can set your average speed and set a radius of either hours or miles. For instance, I have my radius set for 300 miles per day, so I see a circle showing that distance so I can plan stops. It will show campgrounds and rest stops. I use the PC version but I think they have an app now.
We also use RV Trip Wizard, primarily because it comes with the RVLife Pro account. It seems to have a good campground inventory, and we also like the realistic time or mileage travel radius on the planning map. RVTW allows easy drop and drag routing to create waypoints, which we use to get off Interstate Highways.

We’ve tried Roadtrippers which comes with TogoRV, but the drop and drag is harder to use. Also, when looking up a food store or other vendor, it seems you often have to enter the entire address for it to include them.

We keep our Roadpass Pro subscription now because it includes Campendium, which we use in conjunction with our planning.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 09:04 AM   #7

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We're a combination of old school and new technology. We also rarely use commercial campgrounds, mainly Federal/State/County parks, National Monument campgrounds, forrest service, COE, BLM campgrounds, etc.

We got sick and tired of getting free state maps that quickly fell apart, so started buying Rand McNally quick and dirty plastic folding maps for states we travel, like this one for Arizona. We currently have about 20 of these maps. They take up half the space and never rip.

For more detail we use our phones or iPad for Google Maps and use Google sheets to document our planning. We also have the Google app for our F150, so the maps work on the F150's screen.

For years we used Ultimate Campgrounds, but they were purchased by Garmin a couple of years ago and they quit allowing device downloads for new phones shortly afterward. Last winter we had to use our old Pixel 3 phone for Ultimate Campgrounds. This past fall it quit working but directed us to download Garmins Tread app.

Tread incorporated the Ultimate Campgrounds data base with a far superior map interface. For example info on Sunglow Campground USFS near Bicknell, Utah:
Total sites: 6
RV sites: 6
Central water
Flush toilets
No showers
No RV dump
Tent & RV camping: $16
Group site: $40
No water in winter
Generator hours 0600-2200
Open May-September
Reservations accepted
Elevation: 7287ft-2221m
Tele: 435-936-2811
Nearest town: Bicknell
GPS coordinates: N38° 20' 32.2" W111°
We found the campground open in the winter, but no water and the toilets were locked.

Old scholl maps, Google Maps, Tread and Google Sheets work great for us,

Perry
Old 11-27-2022, 09:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
We're a combination of old school and new technology. We also rarely use commercial campgrounds, mainly Federal/State/County parks, National Monument campgrounds, forrest service, COE, BLM campgrounds, etc.

We got sick and tired of getting free state maps that quickly fell apart, so started buying Rand McNally quick and dirty plastic folding maps for states we travel, like this one for Arizona. We currently have about 20 of these maps. They take up half the space and never rip.

For more detail we use our phones or iPad for Google Maps and use Google sheets to document our planning. We also have the Google app for our F150, so the maps work on the F150's screen.

For years we used Ultimate Campgrounds, but they were purchased by Garmin a couple of years ago and they quit allowing device downloads for new phones shortly afterward. Last winter we had to use our old Pixel 3 phone for Ultimate Campgrounds. This past fall it quit working but directed us to download Garmins Tread app.

Tread incorporated the Ultimate Campgrounds data base with a far superior map interface. ...
Old scholl maps, Google Maps, Tread and Google Sheets work great for us,

Perry
Perry, thanks for posting this info. The laminated maps do sound useful, but how is the print size compared to other maps?

Nice to hear that the Tread app is working for you. I have UC on my phone also and was reluctant to download Tread because their product overview doesn't even mention campgrounds, and I wondered whether they really were supporting the database they'd bought from UC. I hope they will keep the campground info updated now that they have it.

Like you, I don't really use a "trip planner" app. I look at maps, decide how far I'm likely to go each day, look at campgrounds in each of those areas, and my brain is my trip planner.
Old 11-27-2022, 10:01 AM   #9

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Perry, thanks for posting this info. The laminated maps do sound useful, but how is the print size compared to other maps?

Nice to hear that the Tread app is working for you. I have UC on my phone also and was reluctant to download Tread because their product overview doesn't even mention campgrounds, and I wondered whether they really were supporting the database they'd bought from UC. I hope they will keep the campground info updated now that they have it.

Like you, I don't really use a "trip planner" app. I look at maps, decide how far I'm likely to go each day, look at campgrounds in each of those areas, and my brain is my trip planner.
The maps are smaller but the detail is easier to read. We mainly use the maps when traveling across states. For better detail Google Maps is our go-to.

I'm guessing sometime is the future Garmin will have a yearly fee. For the detail we get we'd be more than happy to pay a fee. We currently pay the yearly fee for Gaia for hiking that can also be used for guidance, but also use Mapy.CZ for great biking routes and it's free. When riding down the Donau River in Germany this past summer we used Kamoot to keep us on the bike trail that's also free, but better suited for established biking/hiking routes.

Apps we no longer use: All Trails, RV Parky, Locus (once upon a time the ultimate hiking app, but it was techy), and Avenza.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-27-2022, 10:14 AM   #10

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
We use a balance of Rand McNally maps and Google Maps for a while when we travel.

Since our old Rand McNally map was getting a little long in the tooth and our arms are getting too short we purchased this LARGE SCALE road atlas.
https://store.randmcnally.com/2023-l...oad-atlas.html
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 11:10 AM   #11
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
I've been using paper maps and Garmin GPS including Base Camp for 20 years. My initial trip planning starts on google maps but I recently got Gaia GPS. It allows you to plan trips on your desktop / laptop as well as your phone. It works even when there is no cell service which is the case in many places I go. Best of all for me is it works in Carplay on my F-150's Syn 4. Creating routes is really easy and it has lots of map layers including campgrounds. Gaia GPS is particularly good if you like to boondock and probably not if you mostly camp in the better established camgrounds. I believe you can use it for free but it's more limited. The annual fee version, there may be more than one, has lots of map resources. As a side note, my truck does have Fords built in GPS based navigation which is ok. But on at least 3 occasions the service has stopped working, once at a critical juncture. This is probably due to problems created by the company that provides the GPS service, not Ford. At this point I don't trust it and when they want me to pay for it (currently free until 2024) I will decline.
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Download RoadWarrior app, it’s free if you keep with the basic service. Many who drive for a living use this. Put a phone holder on your dash and it’ll be safer than using paper.
When routing your destination stick with the map version not the one where some voice is speaking to you.
Shows you on the map where you’re going, where you are, hit refresh and you’ll know how long till your destination from where you hit refresh.

I’m sure there’s a YouTube out there to get you started.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 02:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I use RV Parky for planning. I can choose my starting and ending destinations, and set for return to start if desired. After I choose the end point, I use it to break the trip into about 400 mile chunks which is what we aim for in a day. This takes a little time as I will choose a stopover and then see how far it is, and then modify as needed. Once I set the stopping points, it will show the places to stay nearby which can include campgrounds, truck stops, rest stops, etc. If I click on a place, it shows the features and reviews, and I can add it to the trip. If I need to change, I select Find a Different Place. It shows a list view and a map view with the stops marked. I use Google Maps or my car's navigation system to manage the day.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:08 PM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
We use Inroute on the iPad.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:04 AM   #15

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
A paper map and a dart. LOL
WanderBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:28 AM   #16
CJW

Trailer: 2021 21C
RV Trip Wizard - it has been a fantastic resource for us while full-timing around the country this past year in our 21C!
CJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:34 AM   #17

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
I use Waze and / or the nav app on my phone plugged into my truck nav screen.

Additionally, I use the apps: RV parky, Campendium and Free Roam for camping. Plus I pay attention to BLM and national forest sites.

For off road navigation I use the app: BaseMap
Scambo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:14 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Planning our trip from TX to Sumas and back to pick up our 21C. We will take our time coming back, smell the flowers some.

What trip planner do you use, and why? It does not have to be free, but at least reasonable would be nice.

Does it have decent navigation? Information on USFS, COE, BLM and state park/local campgrounds? Can it adapt to spur of the moment changes?

Hi: marant... My wife!!! As always "Happy wife happy life". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:20 AM   #19

Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0 single-axle
Check out InRoute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post

https://carobapps.com/products/inroute/
I’ve been using InRoute for many years. I especially like the Elevation graphic?
Nominal upgrade cost.
Attached Thumbnails
6EE68CD3-CF9E-4B62-ACD8-B70891463FCC.jpg  
AdobeMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:56 AM   #20

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
I use RV Trip Wizard for the reasons stated above. If I think about a trip or hear about a nice place to visit, I'll create a trip and save it in the Tentative Trips section, so I'll have it for future reference. I'll also have a record of past trips in case I want to repeat them.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote