What type of jack do you carry..... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2022, 07:28 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel108 View Post
For the trailer (21C) I plan to just use leveling blocks to lift the other axle. For the tow, it just has a scissors jack but it gets the job done in a pinch.
Clever idea! Of course you need tandem axles. . .
Old 03-31-2022, 07:51 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I just signed up for Good Sam Road service for one year. Anyone know if Good Sam is in Canada?
What matters is what your contract says it covers. Doesn't matter if Good Sam is here or not. It's what your contract says. So, what does it say?
Old 04-01-2022, 06:41 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What matters is what your contract says it covers. Doesn't matter if Good Sam is here or not. It's what your contract says. So, what does it say?
Will not know until the paperwork arrives, I'll update if necessary....
Old 04-01-2022, 08:40 AM   #24

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
I just signed up for Good Sam Road service for one year. Anyone know if Good Sam is in Canada?
It should be. As a Canadian I know that Good Sam roadside service works in Canada or the US so I suspect it is the same in reverse. Lots of campgrounds in Canada offer the Good Sam discount as well.
I will say however that I had a bad experience with Good Sam when broken down in a Class A motorhome in Florida. Ended up having to resolve the issue on my own.
I talked with a tow truck driver who said that a lot of them will not even take a call from Good Sam. He recommended AAA. I've been on the Canadian version (CAA) since and have been very satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
they should be anywhere Camping World is, because they are affiliated.
I'm not aware of any physical Camping World locations in Canada.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:44 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I used to have AAA but each state has it's own rules. In Pennsylvania, it does not cover trailers or rev's.....it was covered while I lived in Maryland?
Old 04-01-2022, 08:56 AM   #26

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
I just bought the "trailer aid" ramp for the Escape. I have been carrying around a little 2 ton jack sort of like this one for about 40 years now. Back in the 70's Sears sold them in a plastic case for about $20. It is also handy to have a small piece of 3/4" plywood to put it on when your are in the mud, and a few pieces of scrap wood 4x4 just to have. I drilled a hole in one 4x4 with a forstner bit to fit the round jack point. I can stack the 4x4s on top of each other because I drilled some dowel holes in them. Even if you don't do it yourself, it is nice to have something when someone stops to give you a hand.

Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:00 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
I used to have AAA but each state has it's own rules. In Pennsylvania, it does not cover trailers or rev's.....it was covered while I lived in Maryland?
Hi: cpaharley2008... How do you say Jack in Canadian? CAA+RV!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:29 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I use the Camcorder Trailer Aid to raise the side opposite our dump valves when dumping as well as a jack. Just put it under the good tire, same side as the wheel you want to remove, drive onto it and presto, your same side dual axle wheel is off the ground.
Attached Images

ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:29 AM   #29

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Jack??

Years ago Reace was completing one of his first front boxes on our trailer during a rally and he wanted to know why I was carrying a 5 ton jack around since I had a twin axle trailer and wood blocks would do the job. I don't carry a jack anymore except for the tow vehicle which its has it's own.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:36 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Maine View Post
I just bought the "trailer aid" ramp for the Escape. I have been carrying around a little 2 ton jack sort of like this one for about 40 years now. Back in the 70's Sears sold them in a plastic case for about $20. It is also handy to have a small piece of 3/4" plywood to put it on when your are in the mud, and a few pieces of scrap wood 4x4 just to have. I drilled a hole in one 4x4 with a forstner bit to fit the round jack point. I can stack the 4x4s on top of each other because I drilled some dowel holes in them. Even if you don't do it yourself, it is nice to have something when someone stops to give you a hand.

That's pretty much the same as the old Companion jack I mentioned earlier.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:38 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
I use the Camcorder Trailer Aid to raise the side opposite our dump valves when dumping as well as a jack. Just put it under the good tire, same side as the wheel you want to remove, drive onto it and presto, your same side dual axle wheel is off the ground.
I didn't know about the Trailer Aid. When I get my tandem axle, I'll get one! Of course, as azjack says, a wood block would work, too.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:30 AM   #32

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
In about 2012 I was traveling alone with our Casita on Hwy 12 between Forsyth and Roundup, Montana when the right Casita tire went flat. For those who have driven this road it’s over 100 miles between towns (OK, Melstone is a town of about 100 people with nothing there). I looked for my bottle jack and it was nowhere to be found (it was at home after moving from our Scamp to Casita). It was about 10:30 pm, I had too much fun biking Teddy Roosevelt, and there was no shoulder. So the Casita sat in the middle of the lane for about 45 minutes till I finally go the tire changed. However, there was no traffic till I got past Melstone. All I heard was coyotes getting closer to see what was going on. I took out the Ford jack and it worked perfect to change the tire. I got to Roundup at around 1 am and camped at the county fairgrounds. Again, the Ford jack worked perfect.

Then we started buying double axle trailers again and purchased one Andersen Camper Leveler and one Andersen Rapid Jack. The Rapid Jack had no problem raising the heavy 25’ Bigfoot for bearing/brake inspection, much less the 5.0. The Camper Leveler is now cut to fit between the Escape tires and the Rapid Jack is used for the other leveler. After a few years of using both I see no reason to buy a second Camper Leveler.

The bottle jack still sits at home, replaced by the Andersen Camper Leveler.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 06:55 PM   #33

Last line should read: The bottle jack still sits at home, replaced by the Andersen Rapid Jack.

This forum has too little time for editing.

Perry
Old 04-01-2022, 07:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
This forum has too little time for editing.

Perry
I recommend reading what you've written before hitting submit and again after to check it as posted.
Old 04-01-2022, 07:23 PM   #35

Quote:
I recommend reading what you've written before hitting submit and again after to check it as posted.
Duh, I do. The moderators should be able to see the number of times I’ve edited a post.

Then again, sorry, but I’m dyslexic and for us it’s not that simple.

Other forums have much longer edit times, including the sister Fiberglass forum.

Perry
Old 04-01-2022, 07:37 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
Duh, I do. The moderators should be able to see the number of times I’ve edited a post.

Then again, sorry, but I’m dyslexic and for us it’s not that simple.

Other forums have much longer edit times, including the sister Fiberglass forum.

Perry
I'd help you if I could, but that's above a moderator's pay grade. You could use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the pages and contact the administrators with your concerns.

Otherwise.... use a text editor, like Note Pad to write your text. The copy and paste into a reply window here. That would give you plenty of time to get your thoughts together and run spell check too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:51 PM   #37

Sometimes can take a week to notice an error, so I don't know how long the edit window should be open.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Sometimes can take a week to notice an error, so I don't know how long the edit window should be open.
I have no problem with 24 hours and the 6-8 hour window on the Fiberglass forum is mostly workable. Is the window even 4 hours here?
Old 04-01-2022, 10:21 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'd help you if I could, but that's above a moderator's pay grade. You could use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the pages and contact the administrators with your concerns.

Otherwise.... use a text editor, like Note Pad to write your text. The copy and paste into a reply window here. That would give you plenty of time to get your thoughts together and run spell check too.
You’re not dyslexic are you. It’s not as simple as just use note pad. Many forums I”m on either have no window, so can edit a post from 10 years ago, or have a 24 hour window.

I’ve contacted the administrators and was told one lady ruined the window for everyone. I’m a moderator on a potential hyperactive bicycle forum and we have no window and it’s not been a problem. We do ban people though. I banned one last

Now back to our regular programming!

Perry
Old 04-01-2022, 10:43 PM   #40

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Where to jack on twin-axle 5.0?

But if you really need to jack up your 5.0 on one side, where do you place the jack? Anyone have a picture with a good description, especially how much clearance you have when you start jacking (assuming you're jacking the axle for the good tire if you have a flat).

Thanks

Ed
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote