What would you exclude - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
What would you exclude

OK. So if you were ordering a new trailer, what standard features would you ask ETI not to install in your new trailer, and why. For example, I have read a thread where some members indicated they would tell ETI not to install the power vent in the bathroom. I also got the impression that several owners have had problems with the outside shower. So what options or standard features would you avoid if you were starting over?
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I eliminated the stove hood as it's visually intrusive and the Maxx fan is more than adequate to handle the elimination of food odors. Others, of course, will disagree.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kARENh View Post
Others, of course, will disagree.
True. Like the range hood.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:26 PM   #4

If ordering a new Escape, I would have the two burner stove eliminated, but would want to keep the line, capped off, near where the stove would be installed for future owners. I use a Coleman two burner outside. It would be better to have more counter space than duplicate appliances. A canopy set up outside will provide cover for any inclement weather during meal prep.

If you can dream it, you can do it
walloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You mean you have to get out of bed to make coffee in the morning?
Old 07-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by walloe View Post
If ordering a new Escape, I would have the two burner stove eliminated, but would want to keep the line, capped off, near where the stove would be installed for future owners. I use a Coleman two burner outside. It would be better to have more counter space than duplicate appliances. A canopy set up outside will provide cover for any inclement weather during meal prep.
On other discussions, leaving a capped line is not something I believe ETI can or will do. I believe there are legal and safety issues.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
OK. So if you were ordering a new trailer, what standard features would you ask ETI not to install in your new trailer, and why.
You will get as many answers as there are members here.

One thing we have used many 5 times, and would likely eliminate, is the sink in the bathroom. I see no need for that. It is too small to wash up in, and the kitchen sink works fine. We mostly do our dishes outside in a wash basin, so the kitchen is is usually free. Teeth are usually brushed outside.

One option we got that we would not do again, is a built-in stereo, as there are tons of great portable units that give you more flexibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I eliminated the stove hood as it's visually intrusive and the Maxx fan is more than adequate to handle the elimination of food odors. Others, of course, will disagree.
I too like to have the hood fan right over the range for when it is needed. It stops the Maxx Fan from getting all gunked up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walloe View Post
Though the vast majority of the cooking is done outside, it is still nice to have the stove inside. We really like our stove and sink with the flush fitting lids, when closed they are literally flush with the counter, and provide lots of space if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You mean you have to get out of bed to make coffee in the morning?
Absolutely, the best place to enjoy that first cuppa Joe is outside with mother nature, and maybe any other campers that get up as early as I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
On other discussions, leaving a capped line is not something I believe ETI can or will do. I believe there are legal and safety issues.
I can see it being a problem. as long as the line is capped off properly, it should be no issue. This would effectively be no different that being hooked to an appliance. We do it all the time in homes, though can't be positive about RVs.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:43 PM   #8

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
We did not get the heat mats this time , we have never used them In two years , in fact I have the fuse pulled as I have inadvertently bumped the switch a couple of times .
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:55 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
We chose (on a 21) no privacy curtain, no cubbies next to the entry door, and no exterior bubble levels (much more visible ones available.)

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Charlie, did you get anything to replace the cubbies? Or is it just plain wall next to the door?
Also I am interested in what custom things rvwidgetworks will make for 21s. Thanks
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:12 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Charlie, did you get anything to replace the cubbies? Or is it just plain wall next to the door?
Also I am interested in what custom things rvwidgetworks will make for 21s. Thanks
I'm planning on storage where the cubbies normally reside - I just didn't like the ETI versions and I want a small garbage can right next to the door designed to hold disposable plastic grocery bags. Thinking a plexiglass (clear) holder of some sort over the door would be handy. Medicine chest for the bath, definitely. I will be making more items for Escapes once I have one in hand to measure!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:00 AM   #12

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
OK. So if you were ordering a new trailer, what standard features would you ask ETI not to install in your new trailer, and why. For example, I have read a thread where some members indicated they would tell ETI not to install the power vent in the bathroom. I also got the impression that several owners have had problems with the outside shower. So what options or standard features would you avoid if you were starting over?
I like the power fan in the bathroom. It is pretty tight in there, and can get stuffy. The fan helps. We didn't get the outside shower. Had one on our last trailer and didn't use it. We did not get the microwave and I don't know what we would do without the additional space the cupboard gives.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:09 AM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Dropped the range hood, found the one in our last trailer too noisy and the plastic outside flap broke off twice. Ceiling vent in such a small trailer works fine.

No outside shower, didn't use our last one.

No oven (is it standard?). Again we didn't use it when we had it.

I could live without the bath sink, it's just a spittoon for brushing my sink. In reality it's so small it doesn't hurt anything being there.

Captain lights at the bed, we read Kindles, again it doesn't hurt having them.

Could probably do away with half the lights. I think I have 14 of them. Another 3 outside.

Dropped the radio, use Ipod with Bluetooth speaker.

Lastly, we could do away with everything associated with the television.

Welcome would have been some sort of generic power booster for cell and internet. This of course would run into the constantly changing technology issue.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:39 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
We ordered our 17b with "microwave ready" thinking of resale. Now as we watch build pictures coming each Friday we noticed another hole in the trailer shell. Oops.

We probably would have skipped the whole microwave ready idea and had one less hole in the shell.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:56 AM   #15

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
How come there is a hole in the shell of the trailer for a microwave ?
Another item that must be done during build is the choice of tables , standard is the pedestal style while Reaces fancy sliding table , while a
Nice design for our needs a hinged table is more useful , as when it's in the down position bins can be stored under the table a lot easier .
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #16

I am confused. We have a microwave, but I don't recall any addl holes in the shell because of it.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
We left out the range hood and love it. Have a extra light where it would have been and don't cook enough inside to have it in the way.

We would love to have the new powered bathroom vent so would included it.

Outside shower is an option but we don't have it and did not want another hole in the trailer.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I am confused. We have a microwave, but I don't recall any addl holes in the shell because of it.
Looking at the trailer from the outside there is a hole/grill to the left of the door at about eye level. Perhaps that hole/grill is there to ventilate the fridge. But when we saw the Friday pics with that hole we thought it was just for the microwave. So maybe we over reacted when we saw that hole.

I obviously know very little about trailer construction
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
This subject shows just how differently owners use their Escape and in what region they live in. In my opinion, unless you have made it your hobby to install and maintain all the bells and whistles, keep it simple. As for me;

I would leave off the tank & battery monitor system. They become an unreliable, unnecessary nescience to keep functioning.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #20

Yup. The grill to the left of the door is for the fridge. :-)