What's between the 5.0 bed platform and 'outside'? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2020, 11:16 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Question What's between the 5.0 bed platform and 'outside'?

Just a matter of curiosity, my searching of in-progress constriction pics here hasn't revealed the answer (apology offered and link appreciated if I missed it) ....

Basically I'm just curious about the 'cross-section' through the current 5.0 bed platform and fiberglass (FG) trailer shell.
  • Is the visible carpet glued to the plywood, or just stapled (does it lend to easy removal / replacement)?
  • What's the thickness of the plywood bed platform under the carpet?
  • Are there thin 'sleepers' (framing) between the plywood and the FG shell?
  • Is there a layer of insulation of some sort between the plywood and the FG shell, or if on 'sleepers', in the 'bays' between the sleepers?
  • Is the plywood bonded or fastened to the FG shell in some manner?
Nothing 'nefarious' in mind, just curious

(though I am considering a build-sheet request to delete all of the carpet to facilitate an 'under-the-top-step-storage-mod' as done by several others along with installation of locally acquired carpet of my preference).

Yep, I can ask ETI but thought I'd start with the helpful knowledgeable folks here. Thanks in advance for any enlightenment!
Old 08-17-2020, 11:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Here's a build pic - can't see whether there are furring strips under the plywood or if it sits directly on the shell, but it may shed a little light on the construction - you can also see exactly where the landing gear jacks and the black tank are.
Attached Thumbnails
Build 02a Black Tank Detail.jpg  
Old 08-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
I also am curious why one would want to eliminate carpet in the loft. Can’t totally answer your question on construction, but I recently added a wedge under the mattress to raise head area. I have to deal with acid reflux and have been using a foam wedge on top of mattress which is ok but thought I’d try something different. Anyway in doing this I used a couple screws to keep it from shifting. In doing so I was surprised at how long screws had to be to hit plywood. I think the carpet is on top of some type of stiff foam insulation that’s on top of plywood . Don’t know about any other support under there but I will say it seems very stable, dry and in cold weather it seems to stay warm. Oh and the screws I put in never came through the fiberglass.😁
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Here's a build pic ....
WOW, thanks for that fantastic build pic David! Tons of interesting info revealed in that one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
I also am curious why one would want to eliminate carpet in the loft.
Just to be clear, I'm not considering elimination of any carpet, just considering a different carpet from that installed by ETI. Prompted in part from reading about the attractive to me 'top step mod' to hinge that step, open it to the trailer floor, and provide deep / wide storage for a folding table and folding chairs. In doing that mod the carpet on the top step must be replaced - then it may be desirable to have all the rest of the carpet 'match', and go with my preference for a 'berber' rather than a 'pile' type carpet. All likely easier if I'm delivered 'bare plywood' from ETI.

Quote:
.... I think the carpet is on top of some type of stiff foam insulation that’s on top of plywood....
Ah, that's certainly a possibility I'd not contemplated .... thanks for sharing your enlightening experience with your 'mod' in that area!

Again, all of my curiosities are pursuant to build-sheet refinement - I'm here to explore and learn, and that certainly includes refining / changing / abandoning ideas based on what I learn here
Old 08-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Here's a build pic - can't see whether there are furring strips under the plywood or if it sits directly on the shell, but it may shed a little light on the construction - you can also see exactly where the landing gear jacks and the black tank are.

what the photo does not show is a layer of foam, not sure what the thickness is.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
WOW, thanks for that fantastic build pic David! Tons of interesting info revealed in that one!

Just to be clear, I'm not considering elimination of any carpet, just considering a different carpet from that installed by ETI. Prompted in part from reading about the attractive to me 'top step mod' to hinge that step, open it to the trailer floor, and provide deep / wide storage for a folding table and folding chairs. In doing that mod the carpet on the top step must be replaced - then it may be desirable to have all the rest of the carpet 'match', and go with my preference for a 'berber' rather than a 'pile' type carpet. All likely easier if I'm delivered 'bare plywood' from ETI.
:
&#129300on’t see the need to replace carpet under mattress as it’s almost completely hidden. True it’s visible to each side of the mattress but you have to to be in bed to see it and a good part of ours has stuff there anyway.😎
Attached Thumbnails
C8C7BF26-4204-4016-BC7A-99BC7459113C.jpeg   FF55703F-C471-44EA-AE6A-19EE4458F24Ca.jpeg  
Old 08-17-2020, 01:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Chotch... Not to sidestep the issue... but I've been hauled up on the carpet a few times!!! I was under the impression that the loft floor was a sandwiched piece of rigid foam board between two sheets of ply. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
what the photo does not show is a layer of foam, not sure what the thickness is.
Thanks! Do you know that to be on top of the plywood, below, or both?

PS - I've enjoyed studying your gen1 5.0TA blog Not all to my tastes but your craft skills are mad-excellent beyond question!

Quote:
&#129300on’t see the need to replace carpet under mattress as it’s almost completely hidden. True it’s visible to each side of the mattress but you have to to be in bed to see it and a good part of ours has stuff there anyway.😎
Understood, and that's exactly the kind of info that prompts revisions to my thinking Thank you!
Old 08-17-2020, 01:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Chotch... Not to sidestep the issue... but I've been hauled up on the carpet a few times!!! I was under the impression that the loft floor was a sandwiched piece of rigid foam board between two sheets of ply. Alf
🤔It may be a sandwich of luan, foam and then plywood. I never pulled up the carpet just used an ice pick as a probe and think I pushed through 1/2” of something a lot less dense than plywood .
Old 08-17-2020, 01:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
I was under the impression that the loft floor was a sandwiched piece of rigid foam board between two sheets of ply.
Quote:
��It may be a sandwich of luan, foam and then plywood. I never pulled up the carpet just used an ice pick as a probe and think I pushed through 1/2” of something a lot less dense than plywood .
If all glued / bonded that'd make for a very rigid 'composite' platform of lightest construction, and be consistent with the 'edge thickness' seen in David's pic.

I'm guessing you 'nailed the essence of it', Mr Alf / Chotch
Old 08-17-2020, 03:59 PM   #11

Just to make it clear the carpet on the stairs in my pics is not factory. I purposely installed an industrial grade low pile . Figured it would be easier to keep clean. If I change my mind and doesn't cost much.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Thanks! Do you know that to be on top of the plywood, below, or both?

PS - I've enjoyed studying your gen1 5.0TA blog Not all to my tastes but your craft skills are mad-excellent beyond question!
thanks for the compliment.
I would contact ETI and ask exactly what the layers are in the current model.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:06 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Af,

Are you planning on making the trip to Sumas, WA to pick up your trailer when finished? The reason I ask is that I have some extra of the stock carpet, more than enough to cover the top step mod. I live in western WA and could easily meet up with you to give you my extra carpet.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:37 PM   #14

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Af,

Are you planning on making the trip to Sumas, WA to pick up your trailer when finished? The reason I ask is that I have some extra of the stock carpet, more than enough to cover the top step mod. I live in western WA and could easily meet up with you to give you my extra carpet.
If addressing me, thanks for the generous offer but that's likely a long way off and I'm sure ETI would supply matching uninstalled carpet if that's the route I want to go.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:11 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
This is very true. I have no intention of every replacing this carpet unless something bad were to happen to it.
Quote:
Just to make it clear the carpet on the stairs in my pics is not factory. I purposely installed an industrial grade low pile . Figured it would be easier to keep clean. If I change my mind and doesn't cost much.
But yes, on the stairs I plan to replace the carpet I installed there, which was the Escape stuff they supplied me for when I rebuilt the stairs. I too will go with a short nap and nicer matching colour carpet when I find the time to do it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:58 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This is very true. I have no intention of every replacing this carpet unless something bad were to happen to it.

But yes, on the stairs I plan to replace the carpet I installed there, which was the Escape stuff they supplied me for when I rebuilt the stairs. I too will go with a short nap and nicer matching colour carpet when I find the time to do it.
Hi: Jim Bennett... I used to have several "Round tuits"... but I've used them all up!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote