What's in a name? - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2017, 05:47 AM   #141

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlandFlyFisher View Post
Somewhat worried. I'm not free from work to drive out until late February, and then I will be looking for a large gap between successive Pineapple expresses. I've done the Coq in the rain, and don't fancy it in snow.
It was mentioned to me to consider returning on the Trans Canada if the Coq has bad conditions, with it being at lower elevations. Of course there is no option but going through Rogers Pass and Kicking Horse Pass. Long range forecast has snow almost every day through there up to my travel date of Jan 27.

The average annual snowfall in Rogers Pass is about 930 cm (370 in). Let the fun begin.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:58 AM   #142

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If it is easy it will not be memorable....
Old 01-10-2017, 06:59 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If it is easy it will not be memorable....
Easy could be memorable, but difficult most definitely is more so.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-10-2017, 10:02 AM   #144

Trailer: Escape 21 Dec 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It was mentioned to me to consider returning on the Trans Canada if the Coq has bad conditions, with it being at lower elevations. Of course there is no option but going through Rogers Pass and Kicking Horse Pass. Long range forecast has snow almost every day through there up to my travel date of Jan 27.

The average annual snowfall in Rogers Pass is about 930 cm (370 in). Let the fun begin.
I just came back over the Coq and Hwy1 passes over the break. In my 20 years of doing the annual migration to the wet coast, this year was one of the worst years for road conditions that I can remember (maybe second to '96). I thought about bringing the trailer back over the break but I'm glad I didn't.

Often it's not the passes that are the worst. That area around Field- I sat there for three hours this year while they picked cars and trucks out of the ditch. I'm not sure if it's the two lane, the curves, or the moisture off the river. It always seems treacherous there.

I think the worst areas on that route in the winter are usually near Field, just west of Three Valley Gap, and occasionally the west side of the Coq on the "smasher".
Tisiphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisiphone View Post
I just came back over the Coq and Hwy1 passes over the break. In my 20 years of doing the annual migration to the wet coast, this year was one of the worst years for road conditions that I can remember (maybe second to '96). I thought about bringing the trailer back over the break but I'm glad I didn't.

Often it's not the passes that are the worst. That area around Field- I sat there for three hours this year while they picked cars and trucks out of the ditch. I'm not sure if it's the two lane, the curves, or the moisture off the river. It always seems treacherous there.

I think the worst areas on that route in the winter are usually near Field, just west of Three Valley Gap, and occasionally the west side of the Coq on the "smasher".
The whole route from Lake Louise to Golden can be quite treacherous in winter, Field included, along with the Kicking Horse Pass. Often in Rogers Pass it is just snow to worry about in the middle of winter, as it rarely warms up enough to cause icing.

I have travelled west through the mountains in terrible conditions, to return a few days later to well cleared and sanded roads. Timing is critical.

Nonetheless, caution will be taken. I have winter tires on my truck, which alone make a difference, and am contemplating getting chains, though rarely in my life have had need to use them, other on big trucks.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:31 AM   #146

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Jim, although we won't have the trailer with us when we head to Victoria next month, I was considering going from the Hat through the Crowsnest and Hwy 3 all the way to Hope. I have been on portions of that in the summer but not in winter. How are the passes on that route?

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:39 AM   #147

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Go here:

B.C. Highway Cams
Old 01-10-2017, 11:39 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Jim, although we won't have the trailer with us when we head to Victoria next month, I was considering going from the Hat through the Crowsnest and Hwy 3 all the way to Hope. I have been on portions of that in the summer but not in winter. How are the passes on that route?

Adrian
I have never done that full route, Adrian. I have give as far as Cranbrook a few times skiing, and it can get bad in there, though hi will likely see warmer temperatures. One time on a return trip, just to the east of the Crowsnest Pass, we had pretty much zero visibility due to wind and drifting snow. It was weird, as standing outside the car you could see stars from 5' and higher, and a blanket of blowing snow below. We stopped for the night in Pincher Creek.

It is a bit of a call shout either way you go, but generally a have not had too much trouble other than that one time on the part of the route I drove.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:06 AM   #149

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
Our company is called Shellback Paddle Experience and the Escape, which we live in 6 months of the year is Casa de Tortuga. Turtle House in Spanish.

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:52 AM   #150

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
My husband totally gets me!! Perfect birthday present! Can't wait to hit the road this fall!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:54 AM   #151

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
LOVE the sign!
Old 01-24-2021, 01:05 PM   #152

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Exclamation Spray

Likely gonna have ETI replace the "Escape" decal on D/S and P/S sides with "Spray" (the Escape decals front and rear are OK enough for me).

Like Joshua Slocum I'm a solo-traveler, and I'll be modifying my 'vessel' to suit my needs. For me he's an inspiration to live life to the fullest and the Spray was one of the tools he used to do just that.

Yes, Captain Slocum and the Spray were lost at sea some years after his (first ever) solo circumnavigation of the earth. No worries, a little reminder that we need to live each day as if our last, and hopefully on that last day we're doing something challenging that we enjoy.

And yes, my Escape will proudly display the discrete top-rear-center blue 5-digit number borne by my parent's several Airstreams for decades of their RV adventures; in memory and honor of Dad and my (by then) 95 years-young Mom will get a kick out of seeing that
Attached Thumbnails
Spray - Handel Gothic Italic.png  
Old 01-24-2021, 01:28 PM   #153

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
"And yes, my Escape will proudly display the discrete top-rear-center blue 5-digit number borne by my parent's several Airstreams for decades of their RV adventures; in memory and honor of Dad and my (by then) 95 years-young Mom will get a kick out of seeing that"

That's cool idea! Isn't it wonderful that Escape encourages us to make them our own.

Jimmy
uthorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:51 PM   #154

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
My 5.0 will also follow Centex marine theme... Mine will be called "ZULU FLAG"... its the intl nautical flag meaning " I require a Tug".... I'm The Captain of an ocean going tug..... Double entandre...? you decide...
Old 01-24-2021, 01:55 PM   #155

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Spray

My first sailboat was named Spray, also in homage to Joshua Slocum.
Second sailboat was Tangent, after a Union Civil War general horse's name.

No name on my E19.

fair winds,
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:15 PM   #156

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Very cool!! I haven’t been in the habit of naming vehicles (My mother called her cars Bessie) or the tents I’ve camped in through the years.

But now I may have to put my thinking cap on so I’ll be able to identify my Escape from the thousands that will soon grace campsites across the continent, and be allowed to hang out with the cool kids.

There’ve been lots of really inventive and meaningful names in these forums.

Bad karma perhaps, but how about “It can rain” in honour of the many, many times we spent miserable days and nights in wet sleeping bags or packing up wet tents or trying to get balky cooking fires going.

In the “Olive” tradition, I am also considering Grace which is a very serene name for a hopefully serene camping lifestyle. It also happens to be my wife’s name.

I still have many months to ponder. And something else to obsess over besides build sheets and Earliest Completion Dates and oh-my-gawd what if I forget to tighten the lug nuts

All good!!!
Old 01-24-2021, 05:25 PM   #157

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
“Benny”. Our Bigfoot pickup camper named Ben, and our trailer named Jenny were both destroyed in a micro burst wind storm on May 4, 2020. So Benny it will be.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:01 PM   #158

Trailer: "The Roadrunner" 2021 Escape 5.0
We knew we would call ours The Roadrunner since we live in New Mexico.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:11 PM   #159

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
“Benny”. Our Bigfoot pickup camper named Ben, and our trailer named Jenny were both destroyed in a micro burst wind storm on May 4, 2020. So Benny it will be.
I’ve never named a trailer or a tow rig. I have named a few hunting arms over the years.

My boss and I were out on a Saturday afternoon drive years ago. We happened upon a tavern in the little town of Clutier, Iowa. There were three pickups parked out front, one an aging GMC. It was a foggy winter day and the GMC’s headlights had been left on. My boss had an uncanny resemblance to Kenny Rogers. As we entered the tavern we saw a poster advertising the entertainment for that Saturday night. “Mystery Artist” it read in fat magic marker. As we entered the tavern all eyes fell upon us. About 6 pairs. One old guy hollered out to the bar owner, “Hey. your mystery artist is here, why didn’t you tell us it was Kenny Rogers?” After a laugh, though I was a complete stranger, I said “Normally I wouldn’t stop in a rough looking place like this but I have to know, is somebody testing their diehard battery or did they just forget to shut the lights off on their GMC pickup?”
The guy who had named my boss “Kenny Rogers” jumped off the stool and said “I’m so sorry Ginny Mae, I didn’t mean to kill your battery” Then headed outside. In a few seconds we heard Ginny Mae fire up and she was good as new. The old guy came back in and immediately bought us both a can of beer. We spent the next couple hours in that old place, and made a couple more memories. From then on, every time I see a GMC truck I think of that day and that old green Ginny Mae.
An historic anecdote by:
Iowa Dave
Old 01-24-2021, 06:15 PM   #160

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
I love these forum anecdotes from everyone. Thanks for this one Iowa Dave.