What's in your tool box - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2022, 01:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 5.0
What's in your tool box

We are new to escape and will be picking up our new 5.0 just before the rally.
We will be doing a three month tour directly after picking up our trailer through BC, Alaska, Yukon, and NWT.

Since we will be remote quite a bit I would like to hear from like minded long time campers that do there own repairs what kind of tools they take with them?

Also given that the trailer is made in BC but most of the major components are from the states I am sure I will require both Metric and Imperial which unfortunately greatly increase the size and weight of tool box.

Let me know what you think you have used the most and what you could do without.
thanks
knuckled62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Use the forum SEARCH function

Your query has been described in detail in this forum. Pictures of tool kits, lists, etc. have already been written about. Use TOOLS or TOOL KIT as your search wording.

It's all here....somewhere.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckled62 View Post

Let me know what you think you have used the most and what you could do without.
thanks
First up, the multi-bit screwdriver that comes with the trailer. Very handy for a lot of the items that you might have to deal with like tightening up a door hinge that's come loose etc. I know this but for some reason I still have the full range of Robertson and Phillips screwdrivers. Can never have too many tools.

Secondly a torque wrench with the correct socket for the wheel nuts. Good for checking the torque on your initial trip and when changing tires.

After that there's so many possibilities. I tend to bring half my workshop, both tools and repair materials, not to mention spares. It's basically whatever you're comfortable with.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
There’s not all that much metric on the Escapes. The Roberson screws as previously mentioned are not as common in the USA but most are #2 size. The multibit screwdrivers both. Regular length and a stubby will work in most cases. I also like a big slot blade for abuse prying and a thin shaft #1 phillips and a small thin shaft slot type for screws deep in a hole. Though I’ve been chided for recommending a couple crescent wrenches (a 6 inch and a ten inch) there is not a man alive who can carry the bolts I’ve tightened and loosened with good crescent wrenches in the last 60 years. Takes care of some incidental metrics too. The complete tool sets that come in a plastic case and cost between about $60 and $150 are carried by some Escape owners who are pretty darn handy. You’ll get lots of opinions on this topic. Don’t forget a credit card is the best tool you can have. A good bottle opener and corkscrew are needed If you are bad broke down and moving for the night.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-21-2022, 05:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Though I’ve been chided for recommending a couple crescent wrenches (a 6 inch and a ten inch) there is not a man alive who can carry the bolts I’ve tightened and loosened with good crescent wrenches in the last 60 years.
Iowa Dave
Must be someone with a clean workbench.

Just used 2 of the 4 in the trailer to undo a gas line.

These are the ones not in the trailer although maybe one on the larger ones would be handy. Maybe I could use it to hammer in pegs. Oh wait, I already carry a hammer and a small sledge hammer in the trailer.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0124_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Crescents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

These are the ones not in the trailer although maybe one on the larger ones would be handy. Maybe I could use it to hammer in pegs. Oh wait, I already carry a hammer and a small sledge hammer in the trailer.

Ron
Hi Ron
I see you have a little guy there too. This is a Diamalloy mfg. 4 inch unit, the same outfit that made millions of horseshoes.
Along with a United States Navy issue knife made by Camillus many years ago.
And finally an offset box end 3/8 by 7/16 Duro Chrome Made in the USA
I haven’t seen my whole bench top since I built it years ago.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
F8C6DE92-2944-4E59-9482-410D970354B9.jpg  
Old 01-21-2022, 07:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Quote:

Ron
The one hiding at the bottom left (aka monkey wrench ) is nice.
I got an oldie with a wooden handle.
Gingerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerdog View Post
The one hiding at the bottom left (aka monkey wrench ) is nice.
I got an oldie with a wooden handle.
That is an oldie, looks like Ford wrench from days gone bye
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
First up, the multi-bit screwdriver that comes with the trailer. Very handy for a lot of the items that you might have to deal with like tightening up a door hinge that's come loose etc. I know this but for some reason I still have the full range of Robertson and Phillips screwdrivers. Can never have too many tools.

Secondly a torque wrench with the correct socket for the wheel nuts. Good for checking the torque on your initial trip and when changing tires.

After that there's so many possibilities. I tend to bring half my workshop, both tools and repair materials, not to mention spares. It's basically whatever you're comfortable with.

Ron
It might but do not count on it. Ours did not - and supply chain issues was the explanation. No big deal but we needed to pick something up in Bellingham.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:50 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
i recently picked up a Channellock 131CB 13-in-1 Ratcheting Screwdriver, its quite nice. includes hte large and small square/robertson driver, a handful of common torx sizes, 4 phillips, 2 flathead bits.

I carry a rather complete toolkit in my truck on any road trip, with metric and english 3/8 sockets, normal and stubby finetooth ratchet handles, a pile of electrical tools including a digital multimeter, diagonal cutters, strippers, crimpers, a handful of miscellaneous crimps, a bunch of tiewraps, a pair of flush cutters, a few alligator clip wire jumpers (useful for troubleshooting). the truck also has a hurky set of diesel grade jumper cables, a Viair 88p tire inflator/compressor, a 30000 lb 30 ft tow strap with shackles, a NOCO jump pack, all this lives under the drivers side back seat.

im probably forgetting a bunch of stuff. a few different sorts of flashlights, including a rechargeable that has a nice floodlamp that lasts for *many* hours.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:49 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Always fun to read these tool threads. My only $0.02 I would add to the excellent advice and comments above is any new tools you acquire should be a quality brand tool. They are more expensive but they won't fail when you need them most.

Stay healthy, safe travels,
Doug
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:00 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Serendipity, I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 9.59.01 PM.jpg  
Old 01-22-2022, 12:01 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug & Betty View Post
Always fun to read these tool threads. My only $0.02 I would add to the excellent advice and comments above is any new tools you acquire should be a quality brand tool. They are more expensive but they won't fail when you need them most.

Stay healthy, safe travels,
Doug
depends on what the tool is. this week, I've needed to crimp a bunch of heavy gauge battery cables, 4, 6, 8. my bigger crimper only did 10 or smaller. so I got a cheap import compound lever crimper from Amazon that does up to 1/0 AND came with a big pair of wire cutters. best part about the crimper is, the dies are captive, you push a button and turn the die around for the one you want, been working great so far. every crimp has been rock solid. both tools were under $35 bundled.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MVE48Z6/
Old 01-22-2022, 06:35 AM   #14

Thats a good deal and a neat design.
I wish that was available when id did the wiring on my last r/v i had the type that you hit with a hammer which worked well but not a clean as that one.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:40 AM   #15

thanks for the fairly detailed list of what you take with you.
I tend to pack a very large assortment of tools but for this trip i will be limited to what i can fit in truck as we have to take all the gear that would normally live in the trailer plus what normally stays in the truck.
It should be a fun packing job to see all what i can fit.
Bring on the jig saw puzzle test !!
Old 03-15-2022, 01:32 PM   #16
Site Team

These tools usually live in my truck any time I'm a day or more away from home this is just the hand tools, there's also a Viair 88p compressor, jumper cables, a Noco jump pack, and a batt charger behind the front seat.... And in my trailer toolbox is a engineer mallet, a nail puller modified to pull big tent spikes (and a bag of said spikes), a tire wrench, a water heater anode wrench, a battery drill driver, a socket adapter for the drill driver, a socket to fit the Bal stabilizer jacks, some rope, etc etc.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20220315_182217158.jpg  
Old 03-15-2022, 08:24 PM   #17

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
These tools usually live in my truck any time I'm a day or more away from home this is just the hand tools, there's also a Viair 88p compressor, jumper cables, a Noco jump pack, and a batt charger behind the front seat.... And in my trailer toolbox is a engineer mallet, a nail puller modified to pull big tent spikes (and a bag of said spikes), a tire wrench, a water heater anode wrench, a battery drill driver, a socket adapter for the drill driver, a socket to fit the Bal stabilizer jacks, some rope, etc etc.
Looks good John,
A hacksaw-blade ,some zap straps and some wd-40 is all I woud add.
If I dumped my to go tool box out on the bench it would take 30 min to pack it up again.
Gingerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:20 AM   #18

Trailer: 21
Wish mine was that small tend to carry more which has come in handy multiple times helping people broke down on side of road or where we are camping so a win win for carrying extra . I’d add a roll of duck tape. Can fix a radiator hose temporarily to get to where you can replace it. N quick fix for awnings if an oops occurs
Old 03-26-2022, 08:30 AM   #19
Site Team

Oh I forgot the tapes. I have a roll of 3-in wide gaffers tape, some blue painters tape, and also some black masking tape that I use for optical stuff. Also a roll of 3M electrical tape in my kit.