Whats NOT perfect - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2009, 01:03 AM   #1

Whats NOT perfect

Hi

I just registered and am looking for a trailer,,,I think,,having been to the factory that the escape is the one. As an experienced owner of rvs I know they were all perfect when bought,but after a while this was incorrect. Obviously everyone here is excited about their trailer and that is encouraging and as it should be. I would really like to know what the forum thinks needs or could be improved. For example, is the bedding soft enough for a big person ie over 200 lbs. Do the windows allow enough fresh air to flow through,,,,is the shower really any good or is it just a storage area for more stuff

Thanks for your help it is appreciated
Moeniac
Old 09-21-2009, 02:49 AM   #2

Re: Whats NOT perfect

The shower doesn't take any space in the toilet closet. I have not used it, but like knowing it is there if I need it.

I wish I had two 6-V batteries, bumper-mounted. Since this requires a frame modification, you have to choose that very early in the process.

Shortly I will be getting a memory-foam mattresss topper. I am 205 lb, and find the cushions overly firm for sleeping, but perfect for sitting.

I hate plastic kitchen sinks, and wish that I had specified stainless steel.

I wish that I had ordered external storage hatches.

That said, these are all minor issues. The trailer is excellent. Tows beautifully. Easy to store. I can move it by hand on a level, hard surface. As comfortable as a 17-foot trailer can be.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

We bought ours used and like Ron I wish we had the 6 volt batteries.

We DO have a 3" good foam topper and we sleep really well on it.

I have not used the shower, but my husband has and he thinks it works just fine..

WE do have one external hatch--wish it could have been a smidge bigger but with the external electrical outlet there it would have been hard to do...

We also had shelves put in the wardrobe and they are a great idea. (I never take "hanging" clothes)...

Doors in the storage area where the dinette is, would be nice so you don't have to lift up the cushions when you want to find something in there...but I have some "larger" items in there that might not get in as easy with a door

We really think the trailer is very well laid out and has a lot of storage...

Going out again in afew days for a 4 day weekend.. now off to work!!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

If it was possible, I would not have a sink in the bath, it is not needed and is too small to use anyway.

Larger external storage hatch, and one on the front driver side.

Step is springy, but works fine.

I wish now we would have chosen our own vinyl for the flooring, though we do plan to do cork as soon as I find the time.

The hose for the external shower does not reach down to ground level for washing of dogs feet, maybe it coulda been mounted lower.

Everyone has their own preferences for things. For us the bed is great, lots of windows and ventilation, shower works fine (only used twice though), lots of storage. We like the 2 6V batteries under the front bench, we use the closet for hanging clothes (we experimented and the amount of clothes we hang in there is the same as we could put on fit on shelves with the same space).

BUT..... As Ron and Anna-Marie said, these nitpicks aside, it is a great unit to use. We are very happy with it overall.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

We have had our Escape 19 since May and have used it every chance we could....
and am happy to say I wouldn't change anything, it is as close to perfect as
a trailer can be.

Just got back from another great trip....

Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0112.jpg   DSCF0136.jpg  
Old 09-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

"If it was possible, I would not have a sink in the bath, it is not needed and is too small to use anyway."

I agree. The sink is too small to be of any use, but you can stuff a spare roll of toilet paper between the sink drain and the wall. The sink itself has become a receptacle for shampoo and toothpaste etc.

I would probably go for a couple more exterior hatches. At the rear ( under the bed ) and maybe at the front on the driver side. I had one put in on the passenger side.

I'm not that keen on the "rock guards". There has to be a better solution. I think a thin checker-plate aluminum would serve and be attractive, but it would cover my hatch. Some have used the material for coating truck beds, but I don't find it that attractive.

Most of the "improvements" are idea that members of the list have incorporated into their trailer for their personal requirements. I think the best thing you can do is read the posts, look at the pix and then pick the ideas that work for you. Escape has incorporated some of the best ideas as they build so the basic unit is still a gem.

baglo
Old 09-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #7

"I wish now we would have chosen our own vinyl for the flooring, though we do plan to do cork as soon as I find the time."

I was entertaining cork for the kitchen at home. Keath ( appearing from time to time on this forum ) advised me not to. His company does corporate interior design. He told me that unless all the edges are sealed, water is an issue and removal isn't a job you want to undertake. I've also been reading other forums, gathering info for my kitchen, and laminate planks buckle and warp if water gets between the seams.

I ended up buying Allure vinyl tile from Home Depot. The design I got looks like ceramic tiles, but you can also get wood patterns. However, it comes as 12" x 36" "planks" so I think in a space that small it makes a lot more sense to buy a super quality vinyl sheet, cut a template and drop it in. You can use double sided tape for the perimeter. Need to allow 1/8" around the edge for expansion though and that means some quarter-round or something.

But, have a look at the Allure application anyway.

baglo

Old 09-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #8

Glenn, I have looked at Allure and have installed it in peoples homes, but I want cork for the insulating factor. Cork is just fine in a kitchen, we always glue/seal the joints there as I would in the trailer. I love the added warmth of cork underfoot. We have installed it in many basements for this reason. Whatever flooring you may add, you can remove the trims on the bottom of all the woodwork and reinstall it covering any gaps at the edges.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Moeniac...And welcome to the forum!!! Whats NOT perfect ME...that's what! The trailer is THE machine I'm the human!!! I have added a full length mirror to the outside of the bathroom door, a Dot-It light inside the cupboard beside the pantry, and updated the faucet in the kitchen to a high arc one!!! Otherwise it has been USE IT and ENJOY IT!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #10

What are you doing next weekend? I've been trying to figure out which corner to begin. I've got built in cupboards ( as in nailed to the floor and built in place ) so I'm trying to avoid thin slabs of tile and a lot of waste. With regular tiles, I laid a course down the middle, but with these I have to start in a corner. My temptation is to take them back and have sheet vinyl installed by a professional, but that would be admitting defeat.
I'm curious how you plan to deal with the expansion issue.

baglo
Old 09-22-2009, 09:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo

I'm not that keen on the "rock guards". There has to be a better solution. I think a thin checker-plate aluminum would serve and be attractive, but it would cover my hatch.

baglo
I found the vinyl "rock guards" to be kind of a pain as well so I fabricated a set out of checker plate. I have a front hatch so I also made sure they could easily be tilted down. I have had them on for about 6 months and about 10 000km and they work extremely well.
I'll take some pictures and try to post them tonight.

Cheers

Paul

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #12

Curious to see your solution, Paul. really did not like the look of the vinyl ones, and could not really see how to make checker plate ones fit the curves so it looked good.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #13

As soon as I get home from work this afternoon I'll take some pictures and attempt to post them !!!!!

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Old 09-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Welcome to the forum. Personally, I think the sink in the bath area is very important. That is if one uses the toilet. I plan to install a foam topper, as I still have a H2O bed at home and like the more cushioned surface to sleep. The windows are plentiful. As for the floor, I'm thinking about cutting to fit a piece of indoor-outdoor carpeting for the cooler months to keep the cold off bare feet. The vinyl is great for ease of cleaning. Check out all the mods, there are some great ideas.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L
The windows are plentiful.
We went with the extra window over the sink, and are glad of it.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #16

"Welcome to the forum. Personally, I think the sink in the bath area is very important. That is if one uses the toilet."

I use the sink to store a bottle of Purell.

baglo
Old 09-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #17

My rock guards as promised.
I picked up all the aluminum from The Metal Supermarket, cut all the pieces to size and had someone at work weld the checker plate to the outside tube without distorting it. I machined the aluminum stand-offs at the top with a groove for an o-ring up against the trailer (no silicone required). The rubber grommets a picked up from my buddies at North Shore Suzuki/Yamaha. I also mocked up the trailer frame out of 2 x 4's to get the angle correct to ensure the inside plates that butt up against the frame were in the right location. I installed s.s. hose clamps (wrapped in heat-shrink tubing of course!!!) on the inside tube that runs full width to act as a stop for the guards. I still need to pick up some black plastic/nylon caps for the ends of the tube. Overall I am very happy with the end result. Total material cost was about $130 and aluminum is easy to work with (jig saw, belt sander etc.)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4466.JPG   IMG_4467.JPG  

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Old 09-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #18

But wait, there's more!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4468.JPG   IMG_4469.JPG  

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4