Wheel chock/stops - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2016, 06:09 AM   #81
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Using the yellow (or green or orange) chocks, I'll be sitting in a lawn chair contemplating nature long before you will if you use the X-Chocks. I'm into KISS if it works and the yellow chocks work just fine... besides I happen to like yellow.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:56 AM   #82

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
yes indeed, that is true.

any chance that someone who owns both the cheap Camco plastic wheel stops (small) (supposedly those fit fine on a 21')

Amazon.com: Camco 44652 Wheel Stop (Small): Automotive

AND the X-Chocks can do a quick scientific comparison test?

perhaps using a BBQ tank scale or something, to see the inches of tongue deflection sideways when pulled a given force sideways..... comparing the 2?

just a crazy thought.

i like the lower cost and weight of the Camco.... but will spring for the X-Chock if they are measurably better.
Sometimes you have to perform your own tests, I have both sets and use both, depending on which I can find in the garage. The yellow plastic ones have to be modified in that the rod needs to be cut and shortened to fit the Escape, the heavier X-Chocks work without modification. I do not mean this in a negative way but I have more than one item for several reasons, depends on the situation. So try one set, get the other and then decide, you can always sell the ones you do not want or keep them both, like me.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:47 AM   #83

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
chocks

I returned the plastic chocks and bought the X-chocks 6 years ago.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:33 AM   #84

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
On my 21 the yellow "cheapies" work fine without modification.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #85

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Nobody uses my cheapo style chocks anymore? Chock

I've always used 4, one on each side of both tires and never had any problems. I've never had a dual axle trailer, but I assumed that they could work the same, just one on the front tire and one on the rear on each side.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:51 AM   #86

Eric,
With tandem torsion axles you will have movement at the axles unless you tie the wheels together with these, otherwise your system will work on the single axle, front and rear. If you could install front and rear on each of the tandem that may work but these simplify that.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #87

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Ok, thanks Jim

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-29-2016, 04:11 PM   #88

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Once I'm set up, I have the stabilizers down, the chocks set a the X chocks set, then I don't have to worry about the coach rockin. Sure I loose a little beer time but I hit her a little harder when I do get going. It's usually time for a very stable nap before I run out of beer. Points of contact are important especially on uneven sites.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:33 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Once I'm set up, I have the stabilizers down, the chocks set a the X chocks set, then I don't have to worry about the coach rockin. Sure I loose a little beer time but I hit her a little harder when I do get going. It's usually time for a very stable nap before I run out of beer. Points of contact are important especially on uneven sites.
Dave
I see, "if you see the trailer a rockin', don't come knockin"?

Old 07-18-2020, 11:09 PM   #90

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
With the home made version, you can adjust the size of the blocks and the length of the threaded rod so that it fits perfectly between the tandem wheels and fiberglass trailer body.
Nice chocks!
I don't have our 19 yet, do you recall the distance across the top and bottom of the blocks or the distance between the two tires?
Might make a set to have when we pick it up.
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:42 AM   #91

Thumbs up

I really enjoy seeing what others have made to replace items normally purchased. This is a prime example of a little scrap wood and ingenuity..............
Old 07-19-2020, 09:20 AM   #92

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Has anyone used the Fastway One-step Chocks? We currently have the BAL-X chocks. I like them and they are very stable, but DW thinks they are a bit of a pain to set up, especially when we are on level ground. Lindy has been learning how to set up the trailer on her own, and I want it to be as easy as possible for her.

Thanks.

Leon
I use them, at least on the high side (Anderson Levelers on the low.) They take a bit of adjusting to get them so you can lock them by stepping on them, but once set, they act as both chocks & wheel locks. I'm not sure I'd call them easier than X Chocks - If adjusted to lock the wheels, they take a fair effort to push down the locking handle. I carry a pair & use them on each side on level sites...
Old 07-19-2020, 09:28 AM   #93
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Love the X-Chocks. One of the best things we brought along when we picked up the trailer in Chilliwack. Have been using them now for 5 years. Easy, work well, and the combination of the stabilizers and X-Chocks means no movement, rock solid.

We use them along with the Andersen levelers. We may add a chock on the ground if the site is highly sloped, but that's rare.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:44 AM   #94

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Humm, I have four of the yellow chocks that match the yellow lego blocks. I just throw each under a tire and kick it to set. Worked on the Scamp, works on Ten Forward (unless I'm using the BAL levelers). Doesn't get much easier than that. Besides, when they get cruddy or muddy, I can hose them off at the site hose bib before storage. Works for me, YMMV
Got a couple hard rubber chocks picked up at Tractor Supply. Cheap, light, no instructions necessary and they work. Checks all the boxes for the KISS principle 😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:07 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Nice chocks!
I don't have our 19 yet, do you recall the distance across the top and bottom of the blocks or the distance between the two tires?
EDIT: I found the directions in another post. Now to the workbench!
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:40 PM   #96

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA and 2019 Sundowner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Nice chocks!
Did you ever find out the distance between tires. I would also like to make some before my pickup in two weeks. Everything is out of stock or longer delivery time than I have.
osubbfan@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:49 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubbfan@aol.com View Post
Did you ever find out the distance between tires. I would also like to make some before my pickup in two weeks. Everything is out of stock or longer delivery time than I have.
Never got the actual dimensions but the link in my last post has photos and parts info. I decided that since I'll still need regular chocks, since X-chocks aren't really "chocks", that I'll just use my regular chocks and levelers, and if I feel a need for building a set of X-chocks for increased comfort then there is no urgency and they can wait til I get home from my first trip.

Go Cowboys! I used to have a coworker that lived in Blanchard when I worked in Oklahoma City.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:56 AM   #98

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’ve always been built for power, not for speed. I don’t care how long it takes me to set up, I’m camping. So I put down the chicks, the stabilizers and the Ball X Chocks for all the ground contact and stability I can get. On steep slopes I’ve stayed connected to the tow vehicle, chocked the vehicle, and set the emergency brake. And that’s for stops of one night when I feel it’s necessary. Everybody has different levels of comfort, be it with the propane system, electrical system, gas gauge in the tow vehicle etc. Had a big guy stop by the house yesterday and do a job for me, he was wearing a belt and suspenders. Worked for him.
Sometimes it takes a little experience to find your comfort level, hopefully discomfort doesn’t occur first.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-10-2020, 10:03 AM   #99

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
There is another important skill one can develop. That is the ability to drink a beer while setting up camp. Takes all the pressure off.

Usually tastes great too!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:22 AM   #100

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
There is another important skill one can develop. That is the ability to drink a beer while setting up camp. Takes all the pressure off.

Usually tastes great too!
Once the Camper is chocked, truck is unhooked and stabilizers are down only THEN does the cold beer come out! My wife usually heads inside to get things set up in there once part one is done and she always hands out a cold one at that point. Too many ways to get hurt or do real damage during part one. Setting up power, water, carpet etc now THAT I will do with a cold beer.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote