Wheel locks and other security approaches - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2017, 09:59 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
I'm slightly more concerned than you, so I picked this up.Attachment 26329

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That looks like a bit of a pain to use. How is it in practice? One would need to disconnect the chain U-bolts every time you unhook, and reverse when hitching up. You could use your chains in reverse, with the U-bolt in the bed, and the hook on the hitch, but I tried that, and did not like leaving a pile of chain rattling around in the bed. Besides, I often take my Anderson Ultimate out of the bed for regular usage and would need to disconnect the chains anyway.

Personally, I think I would go with some kinda wheel lock first, but that lock is sure pretty.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #22

Trailer: 21' Escape-"Song"
So thanks to everyone again for all your thoughts and suggestions about trying to protect trailers from being stolen. It's been educational.

But I'd also like to know what might be done to help prevent trailers from being broken INTO. Realistically, IS there anything that can be done? I don't anticipate that we will have anything of particularly high value in our trailer EXCEPT our little dog and kitty. Their safety, any time we leave them in the trailer, is my only real concern about door locks, etc. So I'm curious if folks think anything will help and, if so, what they've tried. Thanks so much. Lots to learn!
Linda
linheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
A month plus a few more days!
Can't wait ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by linheu View Post
Lots to learn!
Linda
There certainly is, but like anything else new in life, once it all gets more familiar, it sorts itself out.

With regards to door security, with staying somewhat close to stock, there is little that will add security. There are locks that add convenience though. I know of a few RV owners that have added a deadbolt, the type you find in your home, to their entry door. This can only be done on the newer models. Properly done, this would certainly be at least as tough, likely tougher, than the stock lock. It would also give a second layer of defence should someone try to get in the door.

What we do need to remember, you could make your door as tight as a safe door, but someone could easily just break out a window. A cordless grinder or reciprocating saw would make an entry hole in the shell in a heartbeat. This is true for most any RV, not just an Escape.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-08-2017, 12:01 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by linheu View Post
So thanks to everyone again for all your thoughts and suggestions about trying to protect trailers from being stolen. It's been educational.

But I'd also like to know what might be done to help prevent trailers from being broken INTO. Realistically, IS there anything that can be done? I don't anticipate that we will have anything of particularly high value in our trailer EXCEPT our little dog and kitty. Their safety, any time we leave them in the trailer, is my only real concern about door locks, etc. So I'm curious if folks think anything will help and, if so, what they've tried. Thanks so much. Lots to learn!
Linda
Linda my gut feeling (could be wrong) is that thieves would generally know that probably nothing of real value (cash, diamonds, etc) is likely IN a travel trailer (other than dirty laundry and cans of chili and flashlights)

but a travel trailer itself would have some value.

so I'm far more concerned with someone stealing our new shiny nice 21' Escape, rather than breaking into it.

and with the 2017 new door... IIRC the hinge pins are better protected than the older doors, so they can't just pull the hinge pins out and pop the door off, i believe.

just my 2c. Worth 1c.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you are concerned about somebody breaking into the trailer while you are inside, keep your vehicle keys handy and if concerned, press the alarm button.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:53 PM   #27

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i am not overly worried i also didn't start locking my door until recently. I used a simple lock on my 17. I might or might not do some kind of wheel lock they just seem so expensive and heavy . I might try the chain lock while my trailer is stored for the winter. I also am going with the Anderson so that's good info on the difficulty with stealing It with the adapter on it. I think people have varied amount of risk they are comfortable with i would not take offence at being called worrier. I don't even think about half the things a lot of people worry about on this forum but i sometimes learn a lot from them and it makes me consider new issues- but mostly buy new stuff they recommend!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If you are concerned about somebody breaking into the trailer while you are inside, keep your vehicle keys handy and if concerned, press the alarm button.
An excellent use of that button, which otherwise is nothing but a PITA, going off when accidentally pushed in the pocket.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #29

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I had a group of teenish folks behind me at Fundy National Park's Point Wolf CG, which is mostly tents and somewhat remote. Came back from a walk to find a couple of them looking through the soft side window and the bungees for the tent material undone. Seemed obvious they were about to enter. I think they would have been happy with a pack of hotdogs and some beer, as opposed to diamonds or money.

That's as close to having something stolen as I've had in 11 years.

I reported this to the host, who booted the gang. Mine was not the only complaint.

Linda, doesn't your little dog bark?, thought they all did.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #30

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That looks like a bit of a pain to use. How is it in practice? One would need to disconnect the chain U-bolts every time you unhook, and reverse when hitching up. You could use your chains in reverse, with the U-bolt in the bed, and the hook on the hitch, but I tried that, and did not like leaving a pile of chain rattling around in the bed. Besides, I often take my Anderson Ultimate out of the bed for regular usage and would need to disconnect the chains anyway.

Personally, I think I would go with some kinda wheel lock first, but that lock is sure pretty.
Hi Jim,

I too got this same lock. It's incredibly easy to use and attaches in mere moments. I'm think about getting a wheel lock too...
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
Hi Jim,

I too got this same lock. It's incredibly easy to use and attaches in mere moments. I'm think about getting a wheel lock too...
What do you do about the chains, Nathan?
Old 08-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #32

Quote:
But what do you do about the chains?
Ah yes! Good question! You see, I got some what I thought were super tough hook clips with a spring loaded fastener that would allow me to clip/unclip the chains from that end. The other end are "permanently" affixed to the B&W clips in the bed of the truck. Unfortunately, the clips breaking point were less than the weight of the trailer, so I'm looking for better ones.

Like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillm...67-0/203809970
Old 08-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Ah yes! Good question! You see, I got some what I thought were super tough hook clips with a spring loaded fastener that would allow me to clip/unclip the chains from that end. The other end are "permanently" affixed to the B&W clips in the bed of the truck. Unfortunately, the clips breaking point were less than the weight of the trailer, so I'm looking for better ones.
Do you not find keeping the chains connected to the B&W hooks a bit of a pain? Connecting is fine, but having them loose in the bed, not so much. Good to hear what others are doing.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Do you not find keeping the chains connected to the B&W hooks a bit of a pain? Connecting is fine, but having them loose in the bed, not so much. Good to hear what others are doing.
I generally leave the chains and the hitch in the truck for the summer, so when not in use, the chains just sit inside the ultimate hitch "square" area. To use the terminology of Jim Bennett "It's really not much of a bother, and only would take a couple of minutes to unhook the chains in the truck. I spend more time deciding what coffee I'll drink each day than it would take to unhook. I don't sweat the small stuff"
Old 08-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #35

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i thought with a fifth wheel hitch you didn't need chains just with goose neck hitches?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:30 PM   #36

If you use the Andersen Ultimate Hitch, it is a goose neck hitch. I called Andersen and they said the chains were not needed, that their hitch was as secure as the regular hitches, but since many states require chains with goose neck hitches, I got them to avoid any issue.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #37

Quote:
I generally leave the chains and the hitch in the truck for the summer, so when not in use, the chains just sit inside the ultimate hitch "square" area. To use the terminology of Jim Bennett "It's really not much of a bother, and only would take a couple of minutes to unhook the chains in the truck. I spend more time deciding what coffee I'll drink each day than it would take to unhook. I don't sweat the small stuff"
LOL, good one.... When I tried it, it was the rattling of the chains that bothered me, not the time which is similar, maybe faster your way.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #38

Quote:
If you use the Andersen Ultimate Hitch, it is a goose neck hitch. I called Andersen and they said the chains were not needed, that their hitch was as secure as the regular hitches, but since many states require chains with goose neck hitches, I got them to avoid any issue.
Same here. I wonder if there is a compilation of which states and provinces do require the chains.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:59 PM   #39

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
i thought with a fifth wheel hitch you didn't need chains just with goose neck hitches?
True, but the Andersen Ultimate is not a fifth-wheel; it is a ball hitch.

Quote:
I called Andersen and they said the chains were not needed, that their hitch was as secure as the regular hitches...
It is indeed about as secure as other ball hitches... which legally require safety chains in most jurisdictions; thus Nathan's rational approach. I suppose one could run without chains and send the bill to Andersen if a ticket is ever issued, but I'm pretty sure they won't pay it. The requirements that I have seen are expressed as all hitches requiring chains, with an exemption specifically for fifth-wheels. In other words, by default chains are required, and if someone builds some new oddball design it will require chains.

Quote:
I wonder if there is a compilation of which states and provinces do require the chains.
Sure - it is in some of the many compilations available online. The fact that the hitch is in the pickup bed rather than the behind the bumper makes little functional difference, so it seems reasonable to assume that the same rules apply; you would look for a general safety chain requirement, not one specific to bed-mounted hitches.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:10 PM   #40

From Alberta Transportation.
Quote:
If you have a ball-and-socket hitch, you will also need safety chains as a secondary means of attachment. Chains should be crossed under the tongue of the trailer and correctly fastened. This applies to all trailers except fifth-wheel trailers
This is fairly unclear in that they say a ball mount, yet fifth wheels are exempt. It says nothing about gooseneck specifically, and the mention of crossed chains would not apply either. I don't imagine they had even considered an Anderson Ultimate.

I think I will stick to using them, given the wise quote Nathan posted.