Wheel locks and other security approaches - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2017, 07:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 21' Escape-"Song"
Wheel locks and other security approaches

Hi all,
I've seen references in a variety of posts about the relative lack of security of travel trailers. And I've also seen references to wheel locks, security chains, additional door locks and other efforts to make them a bit more secure but I would love to hear more about what people are doing to help with security. Along with any links to/names of specific products you really like. We are just starting this new travel trailer adventure and while I don't want to overkill this, I also realize it's something I've not paid much attention to. Thanks ever so much.
Linda
linheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:41 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Nemesis from Purple Line

Nemesis Professional Caravan Wheel Clamp | Trailer Accessories | Purple Line

I've received more attention for this device than I have for my trailer!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04986.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Once you accept the fact that a determined and skilled thief can make away with anything (including a trailer) regardless of measures taken, it's all about expectations as influenced by where you store the trailer, where you camp, how long you are away from the trailer and other variables. I have no security measures in place when I camp (not talking about camping in the boondocks here) and sometimes don't even lock the trailer when I go away for a short time. I've never lost anything.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
An Escape was stolen just several miles from our place a few years ago, so we felt the need to do something to make our trailer more secure. We have a California immobilizer on one wheel and a hitch lock as well. At the very least our efforts should slow a thief down or make him go elsewhere.

California Immobilizer - Trailer Wheel Boots secure and protect work site equipment

We were also influenced seeing that another Escape in our neighbourhood had this brand of immobilizer

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:37 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
We do a lot of boondocking, so we bought and used one from this company: https://universalboot.com. Overkill? Perhaps, but only the most determined thief will drive away with my trailer while this is installed. When my trailer is sitting alone, I never worry while out on a hike or trying to catch a fish.
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:56 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I tend to do less in the security area then some. Just a low cost king pin lock (5th wheel), it's enough to let me leave the trailer without worrying while I'm gone. It would be like you getting a coupler lock on your bumper pull trailer.

If I lived in the city or stored my trailer in a storage lot I'd do more.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by linheu View Post
Hi all,
I've seen references in a variety of posts about the relative lack of security of travel trailers. And I've also seen references to wheel locks, security chains, additional door locks and other efforts to make them a bit more secure but I would love to hear more about what people are doing to help with security. Along with any links to/names of specific products you really like. We are just starting this new travel trailer adventure and while I don't want to overkill this, I also realize it's something I've not paid much attention to. Thanks ever so much.
Linda
I just ordered a Bahama wheel lock this last Friday. After looking at and reviewing other wheel locks I settled on this one. We have had campers since 1999 and have never had a problem. And have only used a hitch lock in the past. But our 21 Escape is the nicest one we have ever owned so we wanted a little more. A little more piece of mind for me.
I agree with other members if a thief reallyyyyy wants it. It gone. The best we can do is make harder for them so in hopes they will look for an easier target. It all depends what your level of comfort is as to the steps you will take.
So I use the hitch lock, I lock up the chains short and will use the wheel lock when it comes. And keep my insurance paid up.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 21' Escape-"Song"
Thank you all for your suggestions. I know we all have different levels of comfort around how much security we need, be it in our home or in our trailer. It's helpful to hear from all of you.
linheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
what is the price of the Bahama i could not find a price on the web site
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:50 PM   #10

ha not bahama ! brahma anyway i found a price 275? still seems high to me but i like the way it folds flat
Old 08-07-2017, 05:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
what is the price of the Bahama i could not find a price on the web site
I paid 275.00 that included shipping to New York State from British Columbia. Yea, 275' s a chunk of money, but its only less than 1 percent of my trailers price. Looking at it that way it's a bargain. I liked the one that New Cat Owner has also, that looks like it would be effective and it's about the same price or less.

Sorry for the spelling error.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #12

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
I paid 275.00 that included shipping to New York State from British Columbia. Yea, 275' s a chunk of money, but its only less than 1 percent of my trailers price. Looking at it that way it's a bargain. I liked the one that NW Cat Owner has also, that looks like it would be effective and it's about the same price or less.
So far, we've been very happy with it. It gives me great peace of mind when I'm using it. I looked at different brands and while I forget my exact reasoning on getting the Nemesis, we decided on that one. It also helped that I got an email from them about a sale - 20% off I think. Hey, can't pass that up! We also got our levelers from the Purple Line folks.

When folks come over to look at it, more than one person has commented on stolen trailers, including the owner of one that was stolen soon after he brought it home new.

Whatever brand you pick, it will give you peace of mind. And, with that in mind, the price was well worth it. I don't care if the trailer is covered by insurance. You'd still have the hassle of filling out a claim and then waiting to get paid and then waiting while you order another one. And never mind all the extra work (and money!) you put into making the trailer uniquely yours. Yeah, I'll put the boot clamp on and let a thief go to a more easily stolen rig.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Once you accept the fact that a determined and skilled thief can make away with anything (including a trailer) regardless of measures taken, it's all about expectations as influenced by where you store the trailer, where you camp, how long you are away from the trailer and other variables. I have no security measures in place when I camp (not talking about camping in the boondocks here) and sometimes don't even lock the trailer when I go away for a short time. I've never lost anything.
Well Karen my pal also took no security measures when she was camping at a "safe" place... she left the campsite at one point... and someone hooked up her Aliner and drove it away. She was absolutely heartbroken. Never got it back, and in some ways it was a real setback to her lifestyle. Insurance wasn't great, and it was a big time suck, so to speak.

Yes a skilled thief can eventually defeat any security measure, but usually not without time and making a big racket.

Thieves are lazy, and they will generally just move on to an easier thing to steal.

When we camp we always use a sturdy wheel clamp lock PLUS a very sturdy tongue lock (Proven) so it would not be an attractive thing to steal, ever.

When you say you havent lost anything... that is great, but things do get stolen. Of course.

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Nemesis from Purple Line

Nemesis Professional Caravan Wheel Clamp | Trailer Accessories | Purple Line

I've received more attention for this device than I have for my trailer!
That's a beauty Laura ! Can't wait to see it in person ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
That's a beauty Laura ! Can't wait to see it in person ! Pat
A month plus a few more days!
Old 08-08-2017, 12:35 AM   #16

Don't forget some sort of tracking device, if you're so minded. I know that's been discussed in other threads. And there's different ways to add tracking to your trailer. But, yeah, another way to add peace of mind when you're out and about. Or even when you leave home or wherever your trailer is stored.

Now, what I want to know is what these stolen trailers are used for. Meth labs? MIL apartment in your back yard? I doubt there's a market for parts, like in vehicles.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:41 AM   #17

Yes if you trailer is stolen you don't want it back they are very toxic when used for meth labs or... my friends trailer was totaled I think it was used for making some kind of drugs.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:55 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We use this. Similar in technology to more expensive wheel locks. Beware that we had to modify the lug nut cover to fit the Escape lug nut pattern. https://universalboot.com/product/sl...ck-wheel-boot/
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:25 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I have had vehicles stolen and broken into. I still maintain this attitude for the most part. I have learned that some folks are just worriers, and doubt they will change much. I am glad I am not much of a worrier as it is definitely a less stressful mindset.

I have seen customers that once I enter the house, they are reaching behind me to lock the deadbolt. Our house was rarely locked when our kids were of school age, as it allowed them to come and go. We did lock up in the evening though.

I am going to have to store my 5.0TA in a parking spot a few blocks away that I rented due to moving and the work that will go on where I am moving to. It is down an alley, so only exposed to folks going down there. I am considering doing at least a cable lock on one set of wheels. This is one nice thing about the Anderson Ultimate Hitch, and the coupler that bolts onto the king pin, in that unless you know how to remove it, and have the right tools, you cannot hook up to a regular fifth wheel hitch. I would even bet that the vast majority of trailers stolen are not fifth wheel, as it is easy for a thief to add a bumper hitch, but less likely a bed mounted hitch.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:47 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have had vehicles stolen and broken into. I still maintain this attitude for the most part. I have learned that some folks are just worriers, and doubt they will change much. I am glad I am not much of a worrier as it is definitely a less stressful mindset.

I have seen customers that once I enter the house, they are reaching behind me to lock the deadbolt. Our house was rarely locked when our kids were of school age, as it allowed them to come and go. We did lock up in the evening though.

I am going to have to store my 5.0TA in a parking spot a few blocks away that I rented due to moving and the work that will go on where I am moving to. It is down an alley, so only exposed to folks going down there. I am considering doing at least a cable lock on one set of wheels. This is one nice thing about the Anderson Ultimate Hitch, and the coupler that bolts onto the king pin, in that unless you know how to remove it, and have the right tools, you cannot hook up to a regular fifth wheel hitch. I would even bet that the vast majority of trailers stolen are not fifth wheel, as it is easy for a thief to add a bumper hitch, but less likely a bed mounted hitch.

I'm slightly more concerned than you, so I picked this up.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3490.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	26329

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote