Wheel nut size. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Question Wheel nut size.

I'm replacing the wheel nuts on my 2014 Escape 19 with aluminum rims as the ones that came with the trailer are rusting.
I found stainless steel lug nuts on Amazon but need to know the treat size.
Who can tell me ?
hermenator01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
The studs on the Dexter axles on these trailers are 1/2-20, torqued to a 100-120 ft-lbs. The information is in the Dexter axle pdf available on the Dexter website

Regarding the stainless nuts, my experience has not been good. The so called stainless ones I have used were garbage. The only stainless part was a skin of thin metal over the inside non-stainless nut, and it distorted after use, making the fit in the wrench socket sticky and annoying. I will be sticking with chrome ones this time around.

When you buy your rims, you might want to confirm that the tapered seats that the nuts press into are steel inserts rather than the aluminum wheel material. I wouldn't bet on aluminum seats behaving well in the long term
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Thanks for you reply. I guess I was not clear on my question, I'm not rplacing my rims ! It already has alu. rims. Just want to replace the rusted nuts.
And as for the stainless lugnuts Amazon has solid sst nuts available. I know what you mean by the steel nuts with the stainless covers, they are indeed garbage.
Amazon also sells aluminum lugnuts but I'm not sure if they would be touch enough.
HS.
hermenator01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:41 PM   #4

Funny, I JUST replaced 24 "clad" "stainless" nuts on my F-150. Ford should be ashamed of themselves. They are 5 years old, but they swelled and became useless. I had to use a hammer to get a lug wrench on them. ( I'd hate to actually have to change a tire on the road like this. )

They have been replaced with solid nuts.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:56 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
Funny, I JUST replaced 24 "clad" "stainless" nuts on my F-150. Ford should be ashamed of themselves. They are 5 years old, but they swelled and became useless. I had to use a hammer to get a lug wrench on them. ( I'd hate to actually have to change a tire on the road like this. )

They have been replaced with solid nuts.
Do you know what brand/model you replaced them with? Mine need replacing too.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:03 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermenator01 View Post
Thanks for you reply. I guess I was not clear on my question, I'm not rplacing my rims ! It already has alu. rims. Just want to replace the rusted nuts.
And as for the stainless lugnuts Amazon has solid sst nuts available. I know what you mean by the steel nuts with the stainless covers, they are indeed garbage.
Amazon also sells aluminum lugnuts but I'm not sure if they would be touch enough.
HS.
Another thought or two on stainless nuts...

First, the steel in the studs is grade 8 strength, as are, or should be, non-stainless lug nuts. I am not sure that stainless is that strong, and I would be reluctant to use them unless I could find out.

Second, stainless to stainless threads have a tendency to gall and once galling starts, you would have to drill, grind, cut or break a stud off to remove the wheel. I do not know if stainless nuts are likely to gall on non-stainless studs, but I would not use stainless nuts until I found out. If there is a metallurgist here, perhaps they would know.

Just imagine what you would do if one of your nuts magically welded itself to the stud - that is pretty much exactly what happens if threads gall. One common solution to the galling problem is lubrication, but that is a debatable thing to do on wheel nuts.

I think aluminum nuts would be a bad, maybe really bad, idea. If the cone seat is aluminum, you have the galling problem again - aluminum to aluminum being even worse than stainless. Also, it seems unlikely to me that commonly available aluminum alloys would be grade 8 strength.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Do you know what brand/model you replaced them with? Mine need replacing too.
Sure do!

These were recommended by other Ford guys. Finding good replacements seems to be a problem, oddly enough.

I got the black ones, since they look so cool with my Gray truck, but the chrome ones look great too:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-12-2018, 05:46 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thanks