Wheel/tire questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
Wheel/tire questions

We'll be picking up our 19 the end of this coming March, at Chilliwack, and making a long vacation of it taking it to Myrtle Beach before heading home to FL. This is my first travel trailer so I'll be in unfamiliar territory. It seems to me that small travel trailers are plagued with blowouts, hence these questions.

1. What is the rating, speed, weight and number of plys on the stock tires on an Escape 19?
2. What is the torque spec on the lug nuts?
3. One of the things I like about the Escape is the 15 inch tires. I don't see a lot of posts about flat tires or blowouts. What's the history of tire problems with Escapes?
4. Does anyone use a TPMS on their trailer? I'm thinking about the EEZ RV TPMS. Anyone have experience with this unit?

Thanks for any info.

Dan
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbiscuit View Post
We'll be picking up our 19 the end of this coming March, at Chilliwack, and making a long vacation of it taking it to Myrtle Beach before heading home to FL. This is my first travel trailer so I'll be in unfamiliar territory. It seems to me that small travel trailers are plagued with blowouts, hence these questions.

1. What is the rating, speed, weight and number of plys on the stock tires on an Escape 19?
3. One of the things I like about the Escape is the 15 inch tires. I don't see a lot of posts about flat tires or blowouts. What's the history of tire problems with Escapes?
4. Does anyone use a TPMS on their trailer? I'm thinking about the EEZ RV TPMS. Anyone have experience with this unit?

Thanks for any info.

Dan
Dan,
First, I would suggest your concern about flats and blowouts is a bit overblown. I have towed FG trailers for many thousands of miles and have never had a flat or blowout (knock on wood!). Keep them properly inflated (50 lbs) and you should be OK.
And yes, I do have a TPMS installed on my 5.0TA. Not sure of the manufacturer, but it is the brand sold by Camping World. It is a peace of mind piece of equipment.
Escape was (and probably still is) installing Carlisle Radial Trail tires. At one time, Carlisle was considered one of the best brand of trailer tires. Myself, the only other brand of trailer tire I would consider is Maxxis, but that’s me. Again, I believe you are imagining a problem that probably isn’t.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:04 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We think the Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires are working out well 3 years in. Even wear, no flats, and certainly no blow outs. I'd also consider the Goodyear Endurance once these wear out, but so far so good. The low price is a big plus too.

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...adial-trail-hd

I'm not sure exactly what the lug nut torque spec is, but that's dependent on the type of wheel, not the tire. I think the spec on our HiSpec aluminum wheels is about 90-95 lb/ft. I just set my torque wrench to the right spec when the trailer was new, and haven't looked it up since.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
If you get aluminum wheels ETI should remind you to torque them at 500 miles. Our trailer has a decal with torque specs on rear side: 90-95 lbs. On our maiden voyage we stopped in Pendleton, OR when I remembered and had some loose lug nuts.

Bought the Truck System Technologies (TST) TPMS on recommendation of another forum member two years ago and like it and the customer service in GA. Definite peace of mind and reminder when getting set to leave camp that you may need to add a few pounds of air.

Carlisle are fine; Maxxis is our second set and while they appear better in several regards I haven't noticed a significant improvement in wear. 20-25K is about it for us.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I had new tires installed on the RAV4 with aluminum rims. I was advised to come back the next business day ( or under 50 kilometers / 30 miles ) to have them torqued again.
I wouldn't wait 500 miles. Might be too late.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
We have a 2015 Escape 17 with aluminum wheels and the stock Carlisle tires. We have had zero issues, with over 12,000 miles on them, and at times towing across western deserts at 65 mph @ 110 degree temps (pavement temps. undoubtedly much higher). We run at 45-50 psi, check pressures before each trip and each major leg of each trip. We also do an inspection and touch of the hand to sidewalls and bearing caps to check for abnormal temperatures at every gas stop. No problems.
For aluminum wheels, check torque the first 100 miles, 200 miles, and 500 miles. We did, adjustments were made at the first two intervals, and by the third check, they were fully seated at full tightness (torque setting is printed on a decal on the trailer side).
We will not hesitate to go with Carlisles again, when they finally weather too much for use. I doubt that we will wear out the tread.

(P.S. Thanks, Glenn, for the headsup about the posting error.)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:29 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I had a blow out on one of the Radial Trails at about 20k, still had lots of tread. In hind sight I think the blowout may have something to do with being stored for 4 months, then on a 10 degree F morning jumping on the highway.

I had issues on a previous trailer with crappy, barely in spec tires. The Carlisle's were much better then what I had before, I liked them.

FWIW, Radial Trails used to have a lot of the usual cheap tire issues, they were re-engineered a few years back. Keep it in mind as you read old reviews.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
I use the TST 507 tire pressure monitoring system (http://a.co/hq0qgAc) and I'm very happy with it.

A blown tire can cause a lot of damage to your trailer (much more than a TPMS costs). Also, with a two axle trailer, you might have one tire go flat and not realize it until the second tire on that side blows due to being overloaded.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 07:05 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
A blown tire can cause a lot of damage to your trailer (much more than a TPMS costs). Also, with a two axle trailer, you might have one tire go flat and not realize it until the second tire on that side blows due to being overloaded.
Has anyone with a fiberglass trailer had a flat do any damage to their trailer? How about not being able to tell you had a flat? I'd be interested to hear if you have.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:30 PM   #10

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Has anyone with a fiberglass trailer had a flat do any damage to their trailer? How about not being able to tell you had a flat? I'd be interested to hear if you have.
That's why you want a tire pressure monitor. Believe me when it goes off you will know. We picked up a piece of metal and the leak was just enough to set ours off. When we swung into a tire place after I figured out it was for real we were still at 40 Lbs PSI. One small patch and I moved it to the spare position.
We have the tireTraker TPMS model TT-500. They also make a Bluetooth version that works with the cell phone. I have no experience with that one but the TT-500 works fine.
We did not need the signal booster. All 5 tires on the trailer send fine to the device that is mounted to the passenger side of the windshield.

TireTrakerâ„¢ TPMS - Tire Pressure Monitoring System
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 07:40 PM   #11

Trailer: None now
From what I've been told the majority of the tires that blow on trailers are from two reasons, aged out or under inflated. A TPMS won't help with the aged out as they can just let go. But an under inflated tire it will help as it will beep and flash and generally be annoying until you either inflate the tire or turn it off. If you choose to do that though you deserve the flat.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:07 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbiscuit View Post
The stock tires are 205/75R15 Carlisle Radial Trail HD. Some specs are here:
http://www.carlislebrandtires.com/ou...adial-trail-hd

The torque spec, sequence and retorque recommendations are highlighted in the ETI Owner’s Manual page 59-60:
http://escapetrailer.com/wp-content/...nersManual.pdf
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:38 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had a flat on my 21 Escape, front passenger side on my way to Alf's Niagara Rally in 2015. I had been riding on it for at least 2 hours since my last stop. I had no indication other than observing the flat once I stopped for gas. It was late, in a strange location and a gas delivery man helped me change to my spare using the Trailer Aid. He said that the wheel lugs were loose so that it would have been a matter of time before losing the tire/wheel. Luck was on my side. Since then I make it a habit to stop every 2 hours for one reason or another.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:59 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I had a flat on my 21 Escape, front passenger side on my way to Alf's Niagara Rally in 2015. I had been riding on it for at least 2 hours since my last stop. I had no indication other than observing the flat once I stopped for gas. It was late, in a strange location and a gas delivery man helped me change to my spare using the Trailer Aid. He said that the wheel lugs were loose so that it would have been a matter of time before losing the tire/wheel. Luck was on my side. Since then I make it a habit to stop every 2 hours for one reason or another.
Hi: cpaharley2008... Merry Christmas to you too!!! It's ok... you can blame it on me... everyone else does!!!
It's my turn. The only flat I've had on a towable was at Scamp Camp in Sebring Fla. It wasn't really flat, it just didn't have any air in it!!! Didn't notice till we'd bin there a while. A fellow fiber camper had a 12V pump so we put some in and tugged out to a tire co. They extracted a screw and some wire, patched and plugged it and it's back to work. That'll be 15 bucks please Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:57 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
Another option for monitoring tire pressure (not as good, but definetly cheaper) r these little gizmo’s that go on the end of ur tire stems in place of the little black tire caps. They r about twice the size of the cap and u buy them calibrated for the recommended running lbs of the tire-in this case at least for the stock tires- 50lbs. The indicator is green when correct pressure is in the tire. If about 5-10 of air is lost they turn yellow, more than that they turn red. So I check them when I take my travel breaks. And yes I understand their limitations; if u lose air rapidly while going down the road, they won’t help, but hey they r only about $15-20 for a set on Amazon.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:19 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
"I just set my torque wrench to the right spec when the trailer was new, and haven't looked it up since."

If you set a click type torque wrench to torque, and leave it set during storage, the spring that sets the torque can relax over time and bugger your calibration. Or so I have been told, so I back mine off for storage.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:34 AM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
If you set a click type torque wrench to torque, and leave it set during storage, the spring that sets the torque can relax over time and bugger your calibration. Or so I have been told, so I back mine off for storage.
Thanks. Makes sense.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:25 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Wrenches

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Thanks. Makes sense.
Some wrench instructions say back off to lowest setting and some say to back off to 0. Read instructions. At the Mississippi Rally we checked Wrenches against each other and found 6 out of 7 to be within a couple pounds of each other at the 95ft lb setting. There was one older Sears wrench that was off a few lbs but still “close enough for shade tree work”. The new Harbor Freight wrench that was the Torque Your Nuts prize and won by Bill S, We checked against my Proto. It was Nuts On. Then Bill gave it to a brand new Escape owner who did not have one.
The free tarp was successful at that rally as well as the Niagara Falls Rally. Generosity makes you feel good. Don’t forget the homeless shelters and food kitchens in your town, especially in cold weather.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-29-2017, 01:09 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
FWIW, the Harbour Freight one I bought was spot on as well. I checked it very carefully against both another torque wrench, and against a calibrated spring scale. It was exactly (as near as I could tell) the same on both counts. I was surprised, but happy, because I needed it dead on for an engine rebuild I was doing. It seems that whoever makes these things actually calibrates them, even at the ridiculously low Harbour Freight price.

Nonetheless, it would make sense to check a new one.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:36 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
FWIW, the Harbour Freight one I bought was spot on as well. I checked it very carefully against both another torque wrench, and against a calibrated spring scale. It was exactly (as near as I could tell) the same on both counts. I was surprised, but happy, because I needed it dead on for an engine rebuild I was doing. It seems that whoever makes these things actually calibrates them, even at the ridiculously low Harbour Freight price.

Nonetheless, it would make sense to check a new one.
That's good news, cause I picked one of the HF ones up at a tent sale for $10 and was worried the price was so low.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote