Which hitch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2023, 04:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 21NEF1
Which hitch

Escapees. We're getting a 21NEF1 built and a big question no one seems to be able to answer has to do with the hitch. We have a 2023 Toyota Tundra, purchased just for the Escape. But which hitch should we choose? Based on videos it seem like the "Equalizer Hitch (Pro-Series 600lb Trunnion) with Sway Control Bar" is fine. But maybe we should really get the "E2 by FastWay Integrated Sway Control and Weight Distribution Hitch." Anybody with any experience or advice given our set up as to what we should choose? Also, if you have any other opinions or advice as to what we should definitely consider, your input is appreciated.
cavaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 06:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaughan View Post
Escapees. We're getting a 21NEF1 built and a big question no one seems to be able to answer has to do with the hitch. We have a 2023 Toyota Tundra, purchased just for the Escape. But which hitch should we choose? Based on videos it seem like the "Equalizer Hitch (Pro-Series 600lb Trunnion) with Sway Control Bar" is fine. But maybe we should really get the "E2 by FastWay Integrated Sway Control and Weight Distribution Hitch." Anybody with any experience or advice given our set up as to what we should choose? Also, if you have any other opinions or advice as to what we should definitely consider, your input is appreciated.
Hi there, Cavaughan. While we don’t have a 21NE or a Tundra (tow our 21C with an F-150), I can speak to which hitch we have. We bought the E2 by Fastway you mentioned from ETI. This is our first travel trailer, so having Escape set up the hitch for us was a big help. They ask for a measurement from your truck and have the hitch ready with delivery. Someone on this forum needed to adjust their hitch after this process, but ours was perfect.

We’re very happy with our E2 by Fastway set up. The weight distribution/sway control keeps the tow vehicle and trailer as one unit. Believe me, when you get hammered by a huge crosswind that moves you sideways you’ll be grateful for those sway bars.

Others might have varying opinions on this subject, though. This is just our two cents.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 07:45 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Another vote for the E2. While we have a 5.0 now, we used an E2 on our Rpod which we towed for ~50K miles trouble free.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 10:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I’ve had the Equalizer for many years and I like it, but there are other good options. The E2 has 2 point sway control. The Equalizer has 4, but with proper setup, it shouldn’t make a huge difference. In very heavy crosswinds on a bridge once the E19 and Ranger moved 4” even though we had slowed down to 10mph. The truck and trailer moved as one. It did not create sway. It was not a windy day, but that bridge was unnerving. Fortunately it was at a time both lanes were empty.
Old 04-19-2023, 10:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Here’s a semi-recent thread on this topic to give you a few more opinions. Hope it helps:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...bar-21969.html
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 10:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I've come to really like the Anderson hitch. The stinger is about the same size as the bar style hitches but it's lighter, and the chains fit into a small soft tool bag.

There were some issues with the friction cone on the early Anderson hitches but that problem has been fixed, and the Escape trailers are 1/3 the weight of its design specs. We have over 30k miles towing our E19 using it without any sway, wear or other concerns.

Whatever you decide to get, you'll find Escape trailers tow easily.

Safe travels,
Doug
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 05:17 AM   #7

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
We have the E2 and like it. Seems simple enough to connect and disconnect. But Escape set the ball height too low. I'm assuming they did not consider compression when adding the trailer weight to the back of the truck.

I have since raised it 3".
Attached Thumbnails
Unlevel.jpg  
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 10:55 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
I wonder how many hundreds of pictures have been taken with those concrete blocks in the Bob's Burgers and Brew parking lot.
Attached Thumbnails
5YpdxOq9Rdmxia8Lw7C3uQ.jpg  
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 11:57 AM   #9

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We've had a couple of Equalizers, two Blue Ox, early Andersens, and currently an E2.

With the Equalizer's, if you want a rough ride, because you're totally locked to your camper, this is for you. Because you're essentially locked to the camper you'll have no porpoising. Too stiff for us, BTDT, and has been known to bend frames on small campers!

If you have the discretionary money for a Blue Ox, it gives a great ride, and is easy to connect. Seems like the best of both worlds.

We had a couple of early Andersens and they were a waste of time. This winter, at Davis Mountain State Park, two guys were installing a Blue Ox on a camper. Laying on the ground was a fairly current model Andersen. Since the one guy had given the Blue Ox to his brother-in-law, the BIL sold me the Andersen for $150, a Godfather deal. I'll be trying the Andersen on our trip to Kellogg, Idaho this June.

Our Bigfoot came with an E2 with 1,000# bars. We were very happy with the hitch, but upon arriving home I weighed the tongue with our Shurline Scale and it's at 975 pounds, the upper end of the bars. I did find it's much easier and cleaner to hook the camper up than the Equalizers, but had a ride similar to the Blue Ox.

Food for thought,

Perry
Old 04-20-2023, 12:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21 NE
I've used both that you mentioned and both work well. If it were me I would choose on price.
GregColdewey is offline   Reply With Quote