Which solar panel? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2018, 12:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
As for as portable which yes r more of a hassle, but give u much more flexibility there r two higher end manufacturers - GoPower and Zamp. On their portable units they come with the controller installed. I have a 120 watt GoPower and I’m impressed with how well it works and quality. I have the single Group 29 battery and my panel charges it easily in most decent conditions.
I also have a Honda Handi3000 generator as back up and to run my microwave and ac if need be.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:13 AM   #22

Trailer: 2020 25' Flying Cloud Airstream with three 90-watt Zamp Solar roof panels and 140-watt ZS Portable
I own a 2017 21' Escape and have both a roof mount and portable Zamp Solar solution. The solar port for the portable was installed by Escape and is located next to the battery vent. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have concerning solar. I have been an Authorized Zamp Solar Dealer for three years and my exclusive e-commerce website is Tin Can Solar on the Internet.

Tony
561-601-1299
MBA80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:25 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moaboy View Post
As for as portable which yes r more of a hassle, but give u much more flexibility there r two higher end manufacturers - GoPower and Zamp. On their portable units they come with the controller installed. I have a 120 watt GoPower and I’m impressed with how well it works and quality. I have the single Group 29 battery and my panel charges it easily in most decent conditions.
I also have a Honda Handi3000 generator as back up and to run my microwave and ac if need be.
We have the factory 160 watt option on our 19. This worked well for most of the summer last year, but for a few weeks we were deeper in the forest and we sure wished for a portable that could be moved into the sun. So, we're thinking about supplementing the factory roof mounted panel this summer.

The most straight forward way would probably be to go with a Go Power portable, which would either attach directly to the battery or to a 7 pin adapter. Since the Go Power's have their own controller, they wouldn't run through the one in the trailer.

Has anyone gone the 7 pin adapter route? Are there pros and cons?
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #24

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Stayed in Chihuahua National Monument this past January, no hookups and the site was in the shade. Whipped out the 2 portables and placed them in the sun. Unfortunately, the panels were only in the sun for maybe 15 miutes before the shade got em. After 2 days of messing around with the portables trying to keep them in the sun I gave up. Thanks to the 2 6v batteries I had no problems still being above 60% after 5 days, even with using the toaster and the furnace.

Portables aren't always a cure-all for shade.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
We have the factory 160 watt option on our 19. This worked well for most of the summer last year, but for a few weeks we were deeper in the forest and we sure wished for a portable that could be moved into the sun. So, we're thinking about supplementing the factory roof mounted panel this summer.

The most straight forward way would probably be to go with a Go Power portable, which would either attach directly to the battery or to a 7 pin adapter. Since the Go Power's have their own controller, they wouldn't run through the one in the trailer.

Has anyone gone the 7 pin adapter route? Are there pros and cons?
Yes we have the 7 pin adapter for our 80 watt Go Power portable we have had before we installed solar on the roof . Just talked to Go Power about connecting ,having installed a controller for roof solar . They told me going through the 7 pin cord was actually ideal for the portable . I was asking about a zamp Plug etc. to connect . So we will continue to use the 7 pin adapter for portable , knowing the portable won't be included in our Victron battery monitor. That is fine with us . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:21 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
So we will continue to use the 7 pin adapter for portable , knowing the portable won't be included in our Victron battery monitor. That is fine with us . Pat
I'm confused! If your Victron shunt is installed in the negative battery cable with all the loads on the opposite side of the shunt from the battery, why wouldn't your portable register on the monitor?
Old 05-17-2018, 08:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I'm confused! If your Victron shunt is installed in the negative battery cable with all the loads on the opposite side of the shunt from the battery, why wouldn't your portable register on the monitor?
You know that is what I was thinking . I need to pull out the panel and check . Is the trailer cord connected to the battery shunt , really don't know ? But Go Power connecting our portable panel to 7 pin said was the ideal way to go . I am not the brightest dealing with any electricity , can only follow others directions . Pat
Old 05-18-2018, 08:29 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
If you connect a power source (or load) directly to the battery, you will bypass the shunt, so the Victron will not monitor it. You could connect the solar panel connector to the load side of the shunt, in which case it would work correctly.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
It would.

Quote:
Is the trailer cord connected to the battery shunt , really don't know ?
The negative side of the trailer to tug cord presumably connects to the trailer frame, but in any case it does not have its own connection to the battery, so it is wired through the shunt. The current from the portable panel will be measured by the Victron monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
If you connect a power source (or load) directly to the battery, you will bypass the shunt, so the Victron will not monitor it.
True, but Pat was talking about using the trailer-tug cord, which does not bypass the shunt.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It would.

The negative side of the trailer to tug cord presumably connects to the trailer frame, but in any case it does not have its own connection to the battery, so it is wired through the shunt. The current from the portable panel will be measured by the Victron monitor.

True, but Pat was talking about using the trailer-tug cord, which does not bypass the shunt.
Thankyou Jon and Brian . One thing the Victron controller is for 200 . We have 180 in solar on roof . The portable has it 's own controller for the 80 watt . Pat
Old 05-18-2018, 10:09 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
One thing the Victron controller is for 200 . We have 180 in solar on roof . The portable has it 's own controller for the 80 watt . Pat
I thought we were talking about a Victron battery monitor; Pat, were you talking about a Victron solar charge controller?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:40 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I thought we were talking about a Victron battery monitor; Pat, were you talking about a Victron solar charge controller?
Sorry watching a movie . Yes the first item I had installed , suggested by AM Solar was a Victron battery monitor . Then when I installed our solar on the roof bought a Victron solar charger to go with our system . Pretty neat they have a free app , I installed on my I-pad to check on battery and solar charger using blue tooth , no smart phone for me . I can be sitting in the house and check battery and solar . Our portable though is Go Power 80 watt . Pat
Old 05-19-2018, 12:52 AM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
An iPad is essentially a very large iPhone ( a smart phone ).
Old 05-19-2018, 01:03 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I knew Glenn and much better . I can see it better . Just carry a flip phone for a phone . Pat
Old 05-19-2018, 01:42 AM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I knew Glenn and much better . I can see it better . Just carry a flip phone for a phone . Pat

Who you talking to? I've used 38 minutes airtime in last ten days and 30 minutes of that was waiting for the next available agent. Almost all communication is through texting and misunderstanding.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:37 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Can you call someone on an iPad? I know Lisa can't on her Samsung tablet, though all the apps are the same.

I use a few hundred minutes and a few hundred texts every month, but to be fair, near half are work related. Love my communication device.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:54 AM   #37

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Can you call someone on an iPad? I know Lisa can't on her Samsung tablet, though all the apps are the same.
You can use FaceTime to make calls but you must be connected to a network (obviously) and it only works with other users with an Apple ID.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
You can use FaceTime to make calls but you must be connected to a network (obviously) and it only works with other users with an Apple ID.
Pretty much like Skype and other platforms like that then.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:07 AM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Who you talking to? I've used 38 minutes airtime in last ten days and 30 minutes of that was waiting for the next available agent. Almost all communication is through texting and misunderstanding.
Hi: gbaglo... "Your call is important to us"!!! SURE. Alf
Escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:26 PM   #40

Quote:
Have texting on my phone , mostly use it to get kids attention right away ( they all have smart phones of course ) when I was a kid we had phone booths , try to find one if you needed one ? So you do need a phone just in case . I -pad is used more then desk top computer. Pat