Why it's really important to know how tall your trailer is. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Why it's really important to know how tall your trailer is.

While crusin' the WWW earlier, I came across a sad post to an Escape trailer. I'm posting most of the info here, just as a warning to others. I have no desire to embarrass the owners... although I did check, and don't see that they're members here:

Take heed! Scraped the AC off our Escape 19

Gps sent us down a dark road with a low hanging tbar and it removed our fan lid and plucked the AC right off the trailer!!! Luckily it was not raining. Right now plastic is over the fan and a storage bin lid is duct taped over the hole that used to house the AC.
Waiting on a call from our nearest campingworld. (Phoenix az)

Need to live in it for two more weeks. (I have gigs in la and Las Vegas) before returning home to XXXXXXX.

Who else has been through this?

Is campingworld Phoenix the right answer or should we continue on to camping world in Santa Clarita? Or other?

Yike!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Major bummer and good warning Donna. What is a tbar?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Major bummer and good warning Donna. What is a tbar?
I really don't know. Maybe it's a height barrier... you know the kind that hangs down and says on it "If you're taller than this, you won't make it under the bridge" ? ? Anyone know?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Yikes, that would not be fun. From my days driving big rigs I know full well to be aware of all vehicle and load heights. This was drilled into us.

Quote:
What is a tbar?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
A lot of low bridges and overpasses have a very heavy I beam or channel iron in front of the bridge; This serves to bring your over height vehicle down to the correct dementions so you don't damage the bridge. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #6

Trailer: None now
And usually there is a warning that there is a height restriction.
I'm surprised if that is the case here though as a lot of vehicles are higher than an escape 19. I know the neighbors transit van is taller for instance. I wonder if the GPS was making its own road as ours has done in the past.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
On another note, a GPS is a poor substitute for eyes, ears, and situational awareness, particularly on unfamiliar roads. I remember a story about someone driving off a pier in San Francisco because the GPS "misguided" them.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Thanks Jim, guess that's all it meant. I didn't know what a piece of steel tee bar would be doing across a road, but it must have been a low support piece on a bridge? I was envisioning something special like those lowering barrier bars that can put across some roads to close them in bad weather conditions.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Thanks Jim, guess that's all it meant. I didn't know what a piece of steel tee bar would be doing across a road, but it must have been a low support piece on a bridge? I was envisioning something special like those lowering barrier bars that can put across some roads to close them in bad weather conditions.
Who knows, they might have just used it as a generic term meaning steel bar, quite possibly an I-Beam.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I guess that people sometimes do forget that they are towing a trailer, the same way many forget that they have loaded the car roof and can't fit into the garage. I have to be careful about that myself. Hope the trailer does not have any really bad damage.
In this case, they could not see the obstruction in the dark.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I have three low bridge stories. Bring this up at Osoyoos along with a boat ramp stories. I will make you laugh and cry. Low bridges and having to center on bridges are common problems in parks.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:17 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I remember a story about someone driving off a pier in San Francisco because the GPS "misguided" them.
Recalculating
Old 02-13-2017, 05:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
If using a GPS, there are add ons that can be installed on the GP S to warn you if there are low bridges ahead, and they are customizable to display the minimum height you want. There are any number of databases available such as one which tells you that you are approaching a rest area or even a quilt shop. It has been a while since I "customized" my Garmin, but if anyone wants to do so please post saying so and I will refresh my "poor" memory by looking at my computer and then provide greater detail. Haven't encountered any bridges/obstructions lower than 11'7", but Stupid (my Garmin's name) does inform me when I am approaching a rest area.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:05 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
", but Stupid (my Garmin's name) does inform me when I am approaching a rest area.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #15

Go here it is the toughest bridge in the US it is only 2.50 min long that if you wait you will see someone clean the top of their 5th wheel off completely at about 1.39 min This is a longer version if you want to be entertained:} . As for GPS accuracy ... one story of many Bad GPS Directions May Have Caused This Deadly Car Accident

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:36 PM   #16

The second vid has a very expensive toy hauler clear it's roof right at the beginning lol

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:48 PM   #17

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
My first GPS experience was with a rental car south of Bisbee. I asked it to take me a nearby town with a lovely little Pecan shop. Next thing I knew, I was on a gravel road and when I came over the hill, there was the Mexican border, complete with armed guards.
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:31 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
My first GPS experience was with a rental car south of Bisbee. I asked it to take me a nearby town with a lovely little Pecan shop. Next thing I knew, I was on a gravel road and when I came over the hill, there was the Mexican border, complete with armed guards.
The Pecan shop was just a lil bit further, but you need a passport.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:42 PM   #19

Trailer: 1997 casita & 5.0 ta July,2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
The Pecan shop was just a lil bit further, but you need a passport.
I can't tell you how many times I've cursed at that lady who lives in my GPS. She has led me astray so many times, I've shut her up for good.
dmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:04 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
If using a GPS, there are add ons that can be installed on the GP S to warn you if there are low bridges ahead, and they are customizable to display the minimum height you want. There are any number of databases available such as one which tells you that you are approaching a rest area or even a quilt shop. It has been a while since I "customized" my Garmin, but if anyone wants to do so please post saying so and I will refresh my "poor" memory by looking at my computer and then provide greater detail. Haven't encountered any bridges/obstructions lower than 11'7", but Stupid (my Garmin's name) does inform me when I am approaching a rest area.
Looked at my computer and the added data are "points of interest." The Garmin site has a download for the "POI Installer." If one Googles GPS POIs, it is amazing how many are available for all sorts of different things.