Why the new screen doors on 17/19. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Why the new screen doors on 17/19.

We love the sliding screen doors on our 2 year old 17B. Why did Escape change to traditional swinging screen doors which I found to be a PIA?
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
We love the sliding screen doors on our 2 year old 17B. Why did Escape change to traditional swinging screen doors which I found to be a PIA?
Probably because the entry door and screen door can be supplied in sets, saving alot of money. We love our hiding screen too, but they're not without their problems.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Same here. Love the sliding one!
We had the swinging one on our previous trailer. What I did not like about it, is that you have to step back when you open or close it, that you have to keep the outside space clear where the door swings, and that you have to make sure to close the little slider in order to keep bugs out.
You might want to call me old fashioned, but looove the classic!!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Nothing classic about that sliding screen door.
Classic is the bifold on my 2008.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Classic is the bifold on my 2008.
That's old!
Too young for that.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Yup, love the retracting screen door. Had the traditional ones on 3 RV's. Hated it, what a nuisance opening the little port, reaching through to the door handle, dealing with two swinging doors etc.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yup, love the retracting screen door. Had the traditional ones on 3 RV's. Hated it, what a nuisance opening the little port, reaching through to the door handle, dealing with two swinging doors etc.

Ron
Another vote for sliding screen door . Really was happy to see this improvement after dealing with other doors on previous camper and motorhome . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I find this reaction interesting. I've always viewed my sliding screen door as an accident waiting to happen, and figured that the flat door and flat screen door would be an improvement. But people who've had experience with both are saying they like the sliding door better. I wouldn't have guessed this.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I think the Campster door has them all beat- built like a storm door with a panel that goes up to open to a screen in the door itself. One door to open and close, with or without ventilation.

Although, to be fair, the door also pops open during transit...

I like the sliding screen but am worried that I'll have a dog go right through it.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:52 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm just glad I have a screen door! Any screen door... I can't believe several manufacturers where it's considered an option or isn't offered at all. Wow.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:03 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Actually the new style door will also be on the 21 and 5th TA 2nd gen models, it is part of all the new style Escapes.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm just glad I have a screen door! Any screen door... I can't believe several manufacturers where it's considered an option or isn't offered at all. Wow.
Donna that is a new one on me . Never heard of a screen door being a option . However I am old enough to remember a rear bumper on my truck and a sun visor on the passenger side were options on your truck . Had to go to junk yard and Linda got up into a truck that was only on stacked tires to get passenger side visor for our 1963 Ford . Pat
Old 11-05-2016, 07:29 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Slider fan here. Easy to repair after the dogs crashed through it a few times. Put at stencil pattern on the screen at dog eyeball height - no more problems, they can tell whether it's open or not. Just some training was needed.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:01 PM   #14
Site Team

Pat, there are lots and lots and lots of Scamp owners trying to figure out how to add a screen door. It's only been in the last year or two that it's become standard. Before that, it was a $200 option. I'm happy the first owner of my Scamp got it. Casita doesn't even have it as an option (still) on the 13' or 16' trailer (they should have figured out how Scamp mounted the bi-fold screen door on the aircraft door). Some of those people have figured out hanging a lace curtain works as a screen door!
Old 11-05-2016, 08:03 PM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Slider fan here. Easy to repair after the dogs crashed through it a few times. Put at stencil pattern on the screen at dog eyeball height - no more problems, they can tell whether it's open or not. Just some training was needed.
Good idea.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:28 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
We had the swinging one on our previous trailer. What I did not like about it, is that you have to step back when you open or close it, that you have to keep the outside space clear where the door swings, and that you have to make sure to close the little slider in order to keep bugs out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Had the traditional ones on 3 RV's. Hated it, what a nuisance opening the little port, reaching through to the door handle, dealing with two swinging doors etc.
Although the need to access the main door handle through the screen door causes issues with conventional RV screen doors, the model from Lippert which Escape is using appears to have a feature which avoids this - you turn a part on the screen door (without opening a hatch of any kind) and the main door handle releases.

Even with a conventional RV setup, the screen door stays attached to the main door unless you chose to leave the main door open and use only the screen. As long as you have a working device to hold the main door open (that part is important), it's not a problem.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #17

Brian, you are totally right! Still like the convenience of the slider better. One example: when being inside and want to close the screen door, with the swing you have to go outside to close the door; with the slider not. Also going inside, balancing cups or glasses on a tray, the not to have step back in order to open the screen door, is a huge benefit for me (guess that is a woman's thing), put the tray down inside, have to go back outside to close the screen behind you going inside.
Too much work for this old lady!
Old 11-05-2016, 09:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Pat, there are lots and lots and lots of Scamp owners trying to figure out how to add a screen door. It's only been in the last year or two that it's become standard. Before that, it was a $200 option. I'm happy the first owner of my Scamp got it. Casita doesn't even have it as an option (still) on the 13' or 16' trailer (they should have figured out how Scamp mounted the bi-fold screen door on the aircraft door). Some of those people have figured out hanging a lace curtain works as a screen door!
Never knew this . 200. Is a little pricey but I definitely would have sprung for the screen door . How about that screen door Rob of Rob and Linda , made for his Casita ? Pat
Old 11-05-2016, 09:30 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Having said how much I like the sliding screen door I should add that I like it even more after adding interior and exterior handles. Makes it effortless to flip it open and closed when you can control it with your fingers while moving the slide lock.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:47 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Never knew this . 200. Is a little pricey but I definitely would have sprung for the screen door . How about that screen door Rob of Rob and Linda , made for his Casita ? Pat
Rob and Linda had a 17' Casita. It has a flat entry door and all 17' have screen doors. It's the 16' and 13' Casitas that have the aircraft door (ala Scamp) and have never had screen doors or a manufacturers option for one.