Will 2017 production be sold out on April 1st 2016? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-14-2016, 01:14 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 17,130
Just watched the last two episodes of House of Cards, season four.
Looking forward to season five.
__________________

__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:31 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Marry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ponoka, Alberta
Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Posts: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
agree...would be interesting to know the perspective of potential Canadian purchasers and at what point the Canadian price is considered too high...this prospective USA buyer would probably consider other vendors if the exchange price hovers above $30K+ US as it would then unfortunately be considered an overpriced DIY trailer .
Totally agree. A 15% increase is not nothing. Hopefully new features and option list will balance this out a little for us "poor" Canadians.
__________________

Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:10 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Bobbito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Surrey, British Columbia
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Posts: 696
Will 2017 production be sold out on April 1st 2016?

After experiencing 2 devastating slow leaks in our 2002 Nash trailer that finally made it a write-off, we decided to go for a fiberglass trailer, as we saw so many Bigfoot trailers that seemed impervious to water and long lasting. We hesitated because they went out of business briefly, and we found the Escape trailers. Before buying our Escape I compared it with similar Bigfoot models and found the latter to be a lot heavier and about $10,000 Canadian more. Despite the announced price increase the Escape is still cheaper and lighter than the Bigfoot, and the customer service no where near as good as ETI (according to owners I spoke with). If we were in the market for s trailer right now I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Escape again. I continue to gush about these trailers even with the price increase. We spent a ton of money on our stick built and watched it rot away in 12 years. Our Escape is a far better investment!

Bob K
2015 Canadian purchaser
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:48 AM   #24
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Posts: 26,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I would certainly want to confirm with Escape before planning on being able to do a model switch for the same production slot.
It has been done and noted here on the forums several times. In the past Escape, made different models by week, so a change before the final build was easily converted. But , yes you need to check with them. Since this change is within the first 30 days I fail to see any impact over a 6-12 month term.
__________________
Jim
Sometime life gets in the way of living.......
cpaharley2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North of Danbury, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Posts: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I hope sales do well, but I'd be cautiously optimistic on it being similar to last years sales. There is some pent up demand since orders have been closed that will cause large initial volume, but there are a couple of wait and see issues long term. Last year most of the models were mid $20s US, mid $30s CA. We still don't have final pricing, but looks like they will be in the $30s US - $40s CA if you get good selection of options with the current exchange rate. Anytime you move a luxury item to a new pricing tier there will be waiting buyers who can no longer purchase, and some that won't become buyers because it's out of their economic feasibility to consider. Of course, if the exchange rate goes back over 40% like in Jan, they get back closer to last years pricing levels and that changes the whole dynamic. Then again, if the exchange rate falls into the 20's or teens, affordability gets even more challenging. Adding exchange rate roulette into the 2017 sales scenario makes it very difficult to predict how the response will go.
The price increase drove us out of the market for a new Escape
The recent drop in the value of the US Dollar just drove us farther away. At the present price , it is a luxury I could, but choose not to purchase. I hope Escape does well but if the exchange rate goes back to more historic levels , their backlog of orders may soon disappear. We really like the Escape 21 but not at $30K+ price !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Acworth, Georgia
Trailer: Escape 19
Posts: 143
WOW - thanks for all of the input. I tried to keep my inquiry general because I didn't think my personal "stuff" was very interesting.
#1 - I really don't "need" a camper until 2018 or even 2019. I am still serving time and have minimum leave. This opens up a whole "pick up or deliver" bag of kittys that I shan't discuss here.
#2 - Having worked with CDN customers over the years I have watched the CDN/USD exchange rate swing crazy. In January I bought shares of Vanguard FXC at a low price so I have a buffer against a CDN$ rebound. The CDN$ was at the lowest in forever when I bought - I wish I bought more. If you are pondering a purchase in the next few years you may wish to review a 5 year chart.
#3 - I have a build sheet about 80% finalized in my head. AC, insulated windows, beer wench and cabana boy. My biggest quandary is solar or not. Geeze, it's expensive and we haven't done any boon docking. I think we're more "glampers." I think a Honda generator that runs AC might be more our style. When at a National Park I can juice up the batteries before lights out.
#4 - It's either the 19 (98%) or the 5.0 TA (2%) ... The beer wench and cabana boy ain't young & svelte and need a bigger bed than in the 21.
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:18 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Acworth, Georgia
Trailer: Escape 19
Posts: 143
additionally ... I found the base price increase inevitable. I'm not rocket surgeon, but I'd love to find a way to figure Escapes price sensitivity curve. With increased capacity and x% fallout because of the price increase, my guess it April 1 will be busy, but lead time will shrink considerably. While I don't want to pay a higher price, I applaud the courage to do so. Anytime I see people standing in line to buy something the first think I say to myself is "that guy/gal needs to raise his/her prices - just not for me, anyway"
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:02 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,368
There is no doubt that US customers are getting extremely good value with buying an Escape at recent exchange rates. If the exchange rate gets closer to par somewhat in the next while, it will still be a great value compared to any comparable option, at least in my opinion. Sure, US customers may not get as good of a deal as when their dollar was strongest, but nonetheless, they will still be getting a good deal.

For Canadians, I still believe an Escpae to be a good deal for what you get. I have looked at comparable options in the past, and even when our dollar was closer to par, and for what I want in a trailer, there just was no comparison. Costs to Canadians in Canadian dollars really hasn't changed, other than factors of inflation. Canadians on average also earn more for equivalent jobs (which we need to help compensate for our higher costs) especially those in the blue collar and lower to middle class range. While this still does not give us more buying power, it is what it is, and we must make our purchasing decisions based on reality.

Value is determined by what you get for what you pay, NOT for how much you have to pay. Where else can you get the combination of features that Escape offers? Things like the ability to choose from as many standard options that they offer, PLUS to be able to may custom modifications to suit your needs. This alone has huge value. Add to the fact that the quality for the cost is high. Sure there are higher quality components being used in some makes, but you most certainly have to pay more money for them. While other manufacturers may have good quality service, I doubt that any is better than Escape.

Even with the proposed price increase, you still get good value. We do have to wait until all the details of the 2017 models is released to fully determine this, but I don't doubt the improvements will justify it. Part of the increase is no doubt due to the increase of component costs coming out of the US, which for US buyers, means they will be paying closer to par on these components only, and still getting a great deal on Canadian products and services. For Canadians, it kinda sucks, but it is the reality of having to purchase product originating for sale in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The price increase drove us out of the market for a new Escape
The recent drop in the value of the US Dollar just drove us farther away. At the present price , it is a luxury I could, but choose not to purchase. I hope Escape does well but if the exchange rate goes back to more historic levels , their backlog of orders may soon disappear. We really like the Escape 21 but not at $30K+ price !!
I am curious as to what other manufacturer you are now going with, that will give you a better value for something equivalent (or comparable) to the 21?
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Bear101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Ennismore, Ontario
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Posts: 110
I am with Jim B on this. Becky and I have been researching quality light weight travel trailers for over a year. I really like the Camplite trailers as a comparable non-fiberglass option but the insulation will not be as effective and, with the current exchange, the camplites are at least the same price range as the Escape for this Canadian buyer so Escape it is. Besides the dinettes are so much more comfortable in the Escapes, and with a real Queen bed and plenty of windows the 19 is where we are leaning. What a great combination and value.
Bear101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:12 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Allendale, New Jersey
Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear101 View Post
I am with Jim B on this. Becky and I have been researching quality light weight travel trailers for over a year. I really like the Camplite trailers as a comparable non-fiberglass option but the insulation will not be as effective and, with the current exchange, the camplites are at least the same price range as the Escape for this Canadian buyer so Escape it is. Besides the dinettes are so much more comfortable in the Escapes, and with a real Queen bed and plenty of windows the 19 is where we are leaning. What a great combination and value.

I was pretty much in the same shoes, just throw in a Airstream Bambi to the mix. Resale and demand were big selling points. Let's see if that holds up with the expansion. I expect it will, cause there still really is no secondary market of Escapes. My trailer is a toy, and if I ever need the cash in an emergency, I'm pretty sure a private sale will be fast. People drive distances for these trailers. If I bought an SOB, I know the depreciation would be greater, and the market harder to crack.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #31
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Posts: 10,146
In total agreement Jim. Escapes are in my humble opinion, the best fiberglass trailer for the money - on either side of the border.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:26 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North of Danbury, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Posts: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
There is no doubt that US customers are getting extremely good value with buying an Escape at recent exchange rates. If the exchange rate gets closer to par somewhat in the next while, it will still be a great value compared to any comparable option, at least in my opinion. Sure, US customers may not get as good of a deal as when their dollar was strongest, but nonetheless, they will still be getting a good deal.

For Canadians, I still believe an Escpae to be a good deal for what you get. I have looked at comparable options in the past, and even when our dollar was closer to par, and for what I want in a trailer, there just was no comparison. Costs to Canadians in Canadian dollars really hasn't changed, other than factors of inflation. Canadians on average also earn more for equivalent jobs (which we need to help compensate for our higher costs) especially those in the blue collar and lower to middle class range. While this still does not give us more buying power, it is what it is, and we must make our purchasing decisions based on reality.

Value is determined by what you get for what you pay, NOT for how much you have to pay. Where else can you get the combination of features that Escape offers? Things like the ability to choose from as many standard options that they offer, PLUS to be able to may custom modifications to suit your needs. This alone has huge value. Add to the fact that the quality for the cost is high. Sure there are higher quality components being used in some makes, but you most certainly have to pay more money for them. While other manufacturers may have good quality service, I doubt that any is better than Escape.

Even with the proposed price increase, you still get good value. We do have to wait until all the details of the 2017 models is released to fully determine this, but I don't doubt the improvements will justify it. Part of the increase is no doubt due to the increase of component costs coming out of the US, which for US buyers, means they will be paying closer to par on these components only, and still getting a great deal on Canadian products and services. For Canadians, it kinda sucks, but it is the reality of having to purchase product originating for sale in the US.



I am curious as to what other manufacturer you are now going with, that will give you a better value for something equivalent (or comparable) to the 21?
" I HAVE NO ISSUE WITH THE QUALITY OF ESCAPE TRAILER'S "
The concept of value is a personnal decision. . Rolls Royse builds a quality vehicle and it may be of great value but I have no intention of buying one.. At the old price and at the higher exchange rate we were at the limit of what we willing to spend on a luxury ( Non Essential) purchase..Most people when purchasing any item have a price they are willing to spend for that item and Escape has surpassed our limit. I am in no way questioning anyone's decision to own or purchase an Escape Trailer. My point was that as Escape raises it's price ,no matter how justified the price increase was and
as the exchange rate gets less favorable for US customers , they will eventually reach a point of price resistance .. We have viewed several Escapes and really like their trailers but there is a limit on what we are willing to spend on something that in our climate is only used 6 months out of a year. I would venture to say that I am not alone in believing that an Escape Trailer has risen to a price point where purchasing one is no longer in our / their future.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Ruthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highland Park, New Jersey
Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Posts: 953
Bottom line, if you can't afford it, it doesn't matter how great the trailer is. However, it's been said before that even with the slight rise recently in the Canadian dollar, U.S. people buying an Escape in 2017 are mostly going to be paying less than those of us who bought two or more years ago. I think what's happened is that people who just started looking at Escapes in the last year and thought they could afford one at that price are being priced out of the market with the present increases.

I am learning just how tricky it is to run a business from this forum. if the Canadian dollar were to go back to its value of two or three years ago, then U.S. buyers would probably be thinking twice. And Escape is probably factoring that into the equation as they determine pricing.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
" I HAVE NO ISSUE WITH THE QUALITY OF ESCAPE TRAILER'S "
The concept of value is a personnal decision. . Rolls Royse builds a quality vehicle and it may be of great value but I have no intention of buying one.. At the old price and at the higher exchange rate we were at the limit of what we willing to spend on a luxury ( Non Essential) purchase..Most people when purchasing any item have a price they are willing to spend for that item and Escape has surpassed our limit. I am in no way questioning anyone's decision to own or purchase an Escape Trailer. My point was that as Escape raises it's price ,no matter how justified the price increase was and
as the exchange rate gets less favorable for US customers , they will eventually reach a point of price resistance .. We have viewed several Escapes and really like their trailers but there is a limit on what we are willing to spend on something that in our climate is only used 6 months out of a year. I would venture to say that I am not alone in believing that an Escape Trailer has risen to a price point where purchasing one is no longer in our / their future.
Say what? Methinks you misread my query.

I was just curious as to what brand you were considering instead, now that an Escape does not give you the value you are looking for.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:43 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Ruthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highland Park, New Jersey
Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Posts: 953
Glenn, I'm not sure what this has to do with anything, but I finished season four too.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:48 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
Marry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ponoka, Alberta
Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Posts: 1,645
Long term investment: making more money buying an Escape then having it at the bank. The Escape does keep its value: used ones up 10% .....
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 7,418
When my son and I went to Ontario in 2010 to hunt bears I trusted Clay to make all the arrangements and to " let me know what my 1/2 is". I cannot tell you what the exchange rate was or even how much money we spent. I vividly remember the fishing, the other people in camp, the outfitter and his employees. And I remember the shot I made on my bear. Every day I look at the two mounts, his and mine hanging on our great room wall. Probably couldn't afford it then and probably not now, but we did it. We made some memories that will last both of us for the rest of our lives. I look at camping with the Escape the same way. Memories for the rest of our lives. My Dad's best friend from the 1930s died this past weekend. He was 103. My dad however, only made 49. Life can be fleeting. Live every day as if it is your last and someday you will be right.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
Ruthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highland Park, New Jersey
Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Posts: 953
Dave I agree with most of what you say, but if someone has to get into debt to buy an Escape that could lead to trouble. That said, I am someone who often will not buy something I can afford because of that depression era mentality about money that I inherited from my parents of blessed memory. We had the money for the Escape, we took the plunge and are happy we did. But there are less expensive ways to make memories.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
sturski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jamestown, Colorado
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We really like the Escape 21 but not at $30K+ price !!
I paid that for a 19. It's the cost of having it built the way I wanted.

I've owned a few trailers and spent an incredible amount of time fixing and modifying them. I'm willing to spend more to get things right the first time. My Escape19 is imperfect; but it's the best price/performance that meets our needs. If something else works better for you, you ought to go for it,
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:39 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Posts: 7,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Dave I agree with most of what you say, but if someone has to get into debt to buy an Escape that could lead to trouble. That said, I am someone who often will not buy something I can afford because of that depression era mentality about money that I inherited from my parents of blessed memory. We had the money for the Escape, we took the plunge and are happy we did. But there are less expensive ways to make memories.
Hi: Ruthe... Every morning that I wake up...I make memories. I have a photographic memory, it's just that my film card is full! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
__________________

__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'16 Ram Eco D. 4X4 Laramie Longhorn CC & '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas (Not the Virgin Islands) Ontario
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×