winterizing a 21' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2019, 03:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21', Maple Interior, previous 2015 Escape 19'
winterizing a 21'

We are about to put our 2019 21' into storage. We have to winterize the water lines because the weather here may get below -30 F. Up until now, on our 19', we used a compressor and blew the lines out. That worked well when we remembered to do ALL of the lines (forgot the outside shower one year which necessitated a minor repair) as well as putting antifreeze into the grey and black water tanks and down the drain pipes.

What are others doing to winterize their 21'? I am hesitant to use the auxiliary hose and pull antifreeze into the lines and through the pump. I am concerned that will permanently alter the flavor of our water. My husband thinks the person who did our orientation on the trailer said there was one line we could not blow out, so we had to use the antifreeze, which does not make sense to me.

Your suggestion of what to do, or what NOT to do would be very helpful.

BJ Smitty
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you eat ice cream you have ingested propylene glycol, which is main component of RV antifreeze.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21', Maple Interior, previous 2015 Escape 19'
Yes, I am aware that the antifreeze is safe to ingest, but others have complained that it can permanently affect the flavor of the fresh water, particularly if any gets into the fresh water tank.
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have used the antifreeze E-Z winertization on all 4 my Escapes without any after taste issues. But I always make sure I fill up my fresh tank at least once yearly while in Canada, either Osoyoos or Chilliwack. We use the on board water for everything but the dogs, I always bring water from home for them.
Wintertizing is about 10-15 minutes and one gallon of antifreeze is all you will need. The antifreeze does not go into your tank but only the lines which you flush out in the springtime. No aftertaste...
Old 10-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsmitty View Post
others have complained that it can permanently affect the flavor of the fresh water, particularly if any gets into the fresh water tank.

Wiki says: Propylene glycolis an organic compound is a viscous, colorless liquid, which is nearly odorless but possesses a faintly sweet taste.
Some antifreeze could remain in your fresh water tank, if you put it in the fresh water tank, so I don't.

The method I employ uses the city water inlet to pump the anti-freeze through the lines. There are other methods, involving the trailer's pump, described in the Escape owners manual.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i don't put it in my fresh tank just pump it through my lines and pour some in the traps grey/black tank /toilet ....
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:45 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I run in the antifreeze in then blow it out, but as far as I know I'm the only one that does so. Don't need to pour any extra in the drains.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I run in the antifreeze in then blow it out, but as far as I know I'm the only one that does so. Don't need to pour any extra in the drains.
That, in hind sight maybe the best, turn on the pump and pump out the antifreeze into the drains. eliminate long term exposure of antifreeze to the lines and yet any residual in the lines will not freeze.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21; previously a 2012 Escape 19
BJ Smitty - I have a 21 and my procedure is exactly what you described for your 19. Drain all tanks, bypass the hot water tank, drain the hot water tank, blow out lines, while doing so open & close all valves one at a time as well as the shower hose and toilet, put RV antifreeze in the toilet, two sinks, and shower drains (1gal total). No issues, got down to -16F here last winter.

I recall Reace telling us when we picked up our 1st Escape in 2012 that once you use RV antifreeze in the lines, the taste will always be there. We have never done it so I can’t verify. I can’t see the need to do so.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I’ve owned FG trailers for the last ten years . I’ve used RV antifreeze in everyone .
I have never noticed any adverse affects or taste in my onboard water system .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:08 PM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That, in hind sight maybe the best, turn on the pump and pump out the antifreeze into the drains. eliminate long term exposure of antifreeze to the lines and yet any residual in the lines will not freeze.
I don't blow out the antifreeze for the reason of taste, which I never noticed, I do it cause I had an in wall shower control crack one winter with antifreeze in the line. I could not think of a need to leave it in the lines and no down side to blowing it out, so I do.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We follow the wdr2 procedure. For antifreeze treatment switch the water pump source to the short clear hose, put the hose in the gallon of antifreeze and start pumping. A gallon is about overkill for volume, we open one FW tap at a time, include the shower and toilet. Then run the pump until the antifreeze container is empty. The supply lines are now mostly empty, the sink traps and waste tanks have antifreeze in them. Takes all of 10 minutes once the HW and FW tanks are empty.

Our favorite way to winterize is drive about 1000 miles south to Mexico for 4-6 months.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:14 AM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I haven't noticed any aftertaste from antifreeze. I'll note that there are various formulations, with different proportions of alcohol and glycol.

Quote:
I run in the antifreeze in then blow it out, but as far as I know I'm the only one that does so.
I've pumped it in, then drained it out (from an RV with low point drains), for the same reason: it doesn't need to stay there, it just needs to displace the water.

Quote:
Don't need to pour any extra in the drains.
Even without blowing it out, much of the antifreeze ends up in the drains, which is a bonus. I've also removed the accessible traps (under sinks) rather than leaving full of whatever mixture of water and antifreeze might end up there.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:26 AM   #14

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Antifreeze here as well. Use the winterization T fitting and valve that ETI installed on the suction side of the water pump (would be easy to install if not factory provided). A couple of tips I picked up from folks on this forum:

- Be sure to press the small check valve on the city water fill port. You remove the screen and you'll see a small "bump". Just press so that glycol gets into this valve. Watch out!... it sprays glycol and will hit you in the face (don't ask me how I know) Otherwise, a small amount of water could remain, freeze and ruin the valve.

- I rinse and drain the black tank, drain grey and then leave the dump valves open with a vented waste cap: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This eliminates the need to put any glycol in the holding tanks. Last year my black tank dump valve got damaged due to freezing because I didn't drain the black tank well enough and/or didn't added enough glycol . Hopefully this new approach will keep that from happening again this winter.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:59 AM   #15

When pressing that small little white plunger, be sure and open a faucet first to insur inside pressure has been relieved, otherwise that plastic plunger can break with too much pressure applied from both in and outsides.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:20 PM   #16

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
In 1994 one fine January day the temps were as low as -50 to -70 in Minnesota. I was heading to school after I hit a drift and, of course, the front air dam on my Taurus shattered.
T he governor basically closed everything in Minnesota.

A friend of mine had his plumbing ruined in his camper because his anti-freeze was only good to 50 below. Last winter one of my bottles of anti-freeze was like slush whereas the others were still totally liquid.

My routine is:
  1. Blow the lines out, then

2. Winterize with anti-freeze, and then

3. Again, blow the lines out

By doing this I've essentially winterized my camper three times and don't have to worry about the anti-freeze freezing. I also have never tasted anti-freeze in our fresh water because the anti-freeze is blown out after only sitting in the lines for perhaps an hour.

Works for us!

Perry

Tags
antifreeze, water lines, winterizing