wireless speakers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2015, 08:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21' sold, current class C, Now looking
wireless speakers

Hello everyone.

Family affair is back in production. we had to cancel and then move....but we are back at it.

We are wanting to have the stereo installed, has anyone had one installed and only used Bluetooth speakers?

Or do you have Escape installed speakers and bluetooth models?

Thanks for the advice

Don and Brenda
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:23 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W. View Post
Hello everyone.

Family affair is back in production. we had to cancel and then move....but we are back at it.

We are wanting to have the stereo installed, has anyone had one installed and only used Bluetooth speakers?

Or do you have Escape installed speakers and bluetooth models?

Thanks for the advice

Don and Brenda
We use both. The trailer has Alpine speakers installed fore and aft, and I use a Bluetooth transmitter plugged into the earphone jack on the stereo to talk to a Bluetooth Sony speaker box we use on the picnic table outside the camper. Nice thing about the remote Btooth speaker is it has it's own volume control so we can listen without disturbing neighbors.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I carried a Jambox Bluetooth speaker in the trailer for approximately 3 years and never used it to listen to music outside, so I gave it to my son in law who wanted one. Generally, I listen inside, and I think I would rather have the fixed speakers ETI installs rather than a Bluetooth which would have to be stored when traveling to keep it from bouncing around, or needing to be charged when one decides to use it and the battery is dead. I did, however, install a Bluetooth module on the stereo as the Jensen ETI installs is not Bluetooth capable. It allows us to stream our music collection to the stereo from an iPod. But I would think the real answer to your question lies in your intended use and your listening habits.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Charlie - do you plug the Bluetooth transmitter into the audio port on the front of the Jensen stereo or is it more complicated than that?
Thanks,
Jan
Old 09-01-2015, 09:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Coyotes howling in the distance, just as the stars are coming out, the swish of an opening carbonated barley beverage, and the steam softly sizzling out of a piece of oak firewood. That's my music. If I want more, I sing.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:20 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
Charlie - do you plug the Bluetooth transmitter into the audio port on the front of the Jensen stereo or is it more complicated than that?
Thanks,
Jan
I don't have the Jensen, you'd need to use the earphone output jack if that's on the front. I use the pre-amp output channels on my Alpine, but it's basically the same thing. Note you need a Bluetooth transmitter, not a receiver. Similar to this: Amazon.com : Bluetooth Transmitter, TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter (Connected to 3.5mm Audio Devices, Paired with Bluetooth Receiver. TV Ears, Bluetooth Dongle, A2DP Stereo Music Transmission) : Electronics

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 09-01-2015, 11:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The description inspires confidence.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
Thanks,
Jan
Jan, the Jensen has output lines in the back which you can use for a Bluetooth transmitter. They are stuffed inside the cover. Have are ace expose them at pickup time. They have RCA plugs. Most BT transmitters have a mini-headphone plug. You will need an adapter to go from RCA to mini. Most likely available on Amazon. You could probably send the parts to ETI and have them install it during the build. Would probably take 10 minutes tops.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:21 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We rarely used the installed stereo in our trailer, as we are not in their often. Pretty sure I would opt for a portable option if I were to do it again.

When camping I mostly use my smart phone, which has about 8,000 songs on it, and play it through a bluetooth receiver connected to my Milwaukee construction radio, which uses the batteries of one of my cordless sets. It is often on during the day while we play bocce or other games, or are just sitting around imbibing in cocktails. During the evening we are usually on guitars, though when we are not, often have some tunes in the background.

Keep in mind, we don't generally do RV campgrounds, where I would respect other campers when playing music.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:52 AM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Thanks Charlie!
Old 09-02-2015, 09:00 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
wireless speakers

ETI appears to be switching to a Boss stereo which will Blue tooth connect to your iPhone or whatever. I have it and on occasion use it to enjoy some music or an audio story (like a Stuart McLean Vinyl Cafe story). The main reason we have a stereo is to get weather and news when boon docking, but we plan on long trips where we will want our music playing quietly. The Boss doesn't transmit to other Bluetooth devices, but the phone does if I wanted to buy a portable BT speaker.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
ETI appears to be switching to a Boss stereo which will Blue tooth connect to your iPhone or whatever. I have it and on occasion use it to enjoy some music or an audio story (like a Stuart McLean Vinyl Cafe story). The main reason we have a stereo is to get weather and news when boon docking, but we plan on long trips where we will want our music playing quietly. The Boss doesn't transmit to other Bluetooth devices, but the phone does if I wanted to buy a portable BT speaker.

Bob K
Do you mean Bose (rather than Boss)?
Old 09-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
wireless speakers

No, I mean Boss. I wish it was a Bose though. The Boss unit retails for around $70.
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
No, I mean Boss. I wish it was a Bose though. The Boss unit retails for around $70.
Bob, I probably should have Googled Boss before asking. I never heard of them, not that I keep current with the audiophile stuff. I did just Google them and I would guess that they are a relatively new company. I had been told the Jensen was Bluetooth compatible, but the model ETI uses isn't so I had to use a module and the input jack on the front of the unit. Had I known it wasn't Bluetooth ready, I probably would have purchased a higher tech radio and sent it to ETI. I kind of looked at 12v stereos after taking delivery. I found many that were BT capable if you wanted to stream music to them, but could not find a single unit that would stream via BT to a remote speaker. I came to the conclusion that the only way to do it would be with a BT transmitter like Charlie mentioned. But since I didn't use the Jambox I mentioned in an earlier post even once, I decided I didn't need music outside.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
We have a UE Boom Bluetooth speaker that we use inside (mostly) and outside (occasionally) which we connect to a cell phone via Bluetooth. We listen to music stored on the phone or to radio stations via TuneIn Radio app if we are in cell phone range. The UE Boom speaker has a big enough battery that we usually need to charge it before a trip and not again until we return.

We chose to have a wider rear door in the storage compartment over the bed rather than space for speakers. The fixed speakers seemed too limiting to us, like use outside.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:41 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Have a great Jensen motorcycle St ereo with four wired in speakers, all installed by ETI during the build. Also have an awesome wireless Bluetooth Bose speaker. We hardly ever use any of that while camping and much prefer to visit and enjoy our surroundings.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:19 AM   #17

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
For some reason my Bose speaker won't sinc with my I phone the phone seems to be attempting but the Bose doesn't work any more
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
For some reason my Bose speaker won't sinc with my I phone the phone seems to be attempting but the Bose doesn't work any more
Don't mean to offend by suggesting the obvious, but have you rechecked the Bose Manual? And if it's the same Bose I have in my garage, did you push the button which puts it in BT mode?
Old 09-03-2015, 12:22 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
I did quite a bit of research on this subject, from integrated wired entertainment systems to inexpensive portable wireless. I found there are significant trade offs to both, and of course cost is a big factor. We ended up getting the Sony X55, and it sounds really fantastic for a portable BT stereo. I read a lot of reviews and went to several stores (Target, Best Buy) to listen and compare all the units. We thought this one sounded best for its price point. It allows us to listen inside as well as out, and it's a simple solution to having portable, high-quality, relatively low-cost audio. I'm very happy with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SRSX55-BL...ustomerReviews
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
I did quite a bit of research on this subject, from integrated wired entertainment systems to inexpensive portable wireless. I found there are significant trade offs to both, and of course cost is a big factor. We ended up getting the Sony X55, and it sounds really fantastic for a portable BT stereo. I read a lot of reviews and went to several stores (Target, Best Buy) to listen and compare all the units. We thought this one sounded best for its price point. It allows us to listen inside as well as out, and it's a simple solution to having portable, high-quality, relatively low-cost audio. I'm very happy with it.

Amazon.com: Sony SRSX55/BLK Powerful Portable Bluetooth Speaker (Black): MP3 Players & Accessories
Same one I have, super sound and the charge lasts a really long time at campground table volumes. BT working range is around 20-30 ft (since our trailers are fiberglass!)

www.RVWidgetWorks.com