Wish My 21 Was This Nice - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
they'd probably have to change out ALL the appliances to ones rated by CC and UL which would leave us with the same old dometic, suburban, etc junk we've all been dealing with all along.
Some yes, some no. In addition to Dometic (already mentioned) there are Truma products available in North America (although not the full range), and presumably other brands.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:02 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
John I have had acrylic fish tanks for years even with little grandkids . Sunglasses the good kind are made with acrylic . Products to clean and protect . Pat
I spend a lot of time making dust and metal chips yet my plastic lenses were in perfect shape. My wife complained hers were all scratched up.
Had to give her a lesson in non-destructive cleaning of acrylic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
not a lot of road debris at 6000' ...

That would be 3500'

At the airport the canopy does get dirty. It's cleaned every day. If it wasn't cleaned properly flying towards the sun would be a nightmare. Use the right process and it can be in service many years without scratching.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:23 PM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
RV appliances are, yes.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:01 AM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I doubt that any European manufacturer would have any trouble adapting to North American standards, but they would change some components and some building procedures... some to meet standards, some to save money, and some to suit the preferences of buyers.

There is precedent for this:
  • The Captain and better known Cadet were Canadian-built versions of trailers from Niewiadow of Poland.
  • The T@b was a Tabbert product in Europe, which was then built in nearly the same form (except for propane lines, wiring, and appliances) by one of the major Indiana RV companies; the more recent version retains few of the original features.
  • The Erwin Hymer Group bought a Canadian Class B motorhome builder (Roadtrek) and is now selling both the Roadtrek line as well as their Euro line of Class B's... and the Hymer Touring GT trailer. This trailer appears to be Hymer's well-known (among lightweight travel trailer enthusiasts and classic VW owners) Eriba series from Europe, although strangely the aluminum wall panels of the Euro classic (still used there) have been replaced by fiberglass.
Good morning.....I see in my news feed that Thor closed a deal to buy Erwin Hymer Group.

You're right Brian- would never contemplate trying to import an Adria; just find it interesting that they can produce a trailer so nice at that price. It is made in Slovenia, not Germany where the couple who own it live. Perhaps lower wages and less red tape than Germany.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:21 AM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
just find it interesting that they can produce a trailer so nice at that price. It is made in Slovenia, not Germany where the couple who own it live. Perhaps lower wages and less red tape than Germany.
I don't know if that's the case because Slovenia is an EU country and the EU has a habit of having extensive rules about just about everything, including red tape.

It would probably be generalizing but my view is that, overall, Europeans demand a higher level of quality than North Americans.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:33 AM   #46

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I've been there

Hello All,
I've actually been to Slovenia, it was about 15 years ago, BEAUTIFUL! Do not remember seeing any travel trailers though. I've been fortunate enough to travel a little in my life and one thing I always say about Slovenia was it was the cleanest country I've ever seen you could eat of the streets. I'm in the office furniture industry and the plants we visited were very clean and organized, I left very impressed with the people and the country so believe things manufactured there would be well made. Only time I've eaten horse in my life, they raise them their for that purpose like we raise cattle and man they must like pizza you could get it everywhere.

Safe travels to all,
Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:49 AM   #47

We landed in Ljublana and will depart from there. Haven't yet spent any time there yet as we headed straight to Zagreb(has a great old city) to pick up our daughter then headed to Hvar. On the way we went to a National Park and saw several motorhomes and trailers on the highway.

I may try to visit Adria's factory if possible. It is located in Novo mesto....aka Melaniaville.

My brother who married a Swiss went two years ago and said it was similar to Switzerland for a whole lot less.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #48

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
We landed in Ljublana and will depart from there. Haven't yet spent any time there yet as we headed straight to Zagreb(has a great old city) to pick up our daughter then headed to Hvar. On the way we went to a National Park and saw several motorhomes and trailers on the highway.

I may try to visit Adria's factory if possible. It is located in Novo mesto....aka Melaniaville.

My brother who married a Swiss went two years ago and said it was similar to Switzerland for a whole lot less.
Ross if you get to Adria's Factory lots of pictures please ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:22 PM   #49

Quote:
I see in my news feed that Thor closed a deal to buy Erwin Hymer Group.
Thanks, I had not seen that (and I missed this post until today). While Thor has been built by acquisition so buying another manufacturer is routine, this is a significant move into Europe. I hope the resulting increased availability of Euro designs in North America (which was already occurring due to Hymer's acquisition of Roadtrek) isn't accompanied by downgrading of Hymer's current product to more generic Thor practices.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #50

Less is More

Then there is this for all you minimalists out there; I do like my 21 better now
Attached Thumbnails
Split trailer.jpg  
Old 10-27-2018, 02:29 PM   #51

Quote:
Then there is this for all you minimalists out there...
The Wikipedia article for the Fiat 126 (the car in that photo) claims that the trailer (the Niewiadów N126, also built in Canada and sold as the Cadet) was designed to go with the Polish version of the car. So, it's a matched towing rig, in more than colour and graphics.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:32 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Here is mismatched combo
Old 02-05-2019, 10:53 PM   #53

Quote:
....I see in my news feed that Thor closed a deal to buy Erwin Hymer Group.
They made the deal back in September, to close after the usual auditing processes. In the interim, a huge scandal came up at Hymer North America (the operation with Roadtrek, Hymer Class B's, the Hymer fiberglass trailer, and some other stuff) and Thor dropped it like a hot potato. The deal did recently close, but excluded the North American operation, so that's now a orphan owned by the Hymer family in Europe and run by the executives involved in the scandal.
Thor Announces Closing of Erwin Hymer Group Acquisition

I wouldn't bet on the North American Hymer travel trailer surviving this mess.