Wish My 21 Was This Nice - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Wow, 16 layouts! Good thing that Escape doesn't offer that many. Some folks would never be able to make up their mind on which one to choose.

Ron
Although there are 16 layouts, they are also 10 different lengths. In most lengths, there isn't much choice of layout.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Met a couple from Germany on the ferry from Hvar to Split today towing an Adria caravan made in Slovenia. It is 20' weighs about the same as my 21 and cost 35K euro.
Among many very nice finishes and design work was a floor heated by the hot water heater and the space heat is both gas and electric. Several floorplans; they had twin beds.
https://www.adria-mobil.com/caravans/adora
Ross did the walkthroughs on u-tube and what's not to like . Interesting new owners found no issues with their trailers . Love those windows ! There were on a Forester we looked at . Hopefully more of the European ideas come our way . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The OP quoted a price of 35K Euros which translates to $41,000 USD plus 2.5% import duty plus shipping costs makes the final cost of the trailer over $45,000 USD
It’s a nice trailer but the final cost is considerably higher than a well equipped Escape 21
They obviously spent a lot of time in thoughtful design and engineering .
The 7 year guarantee against leakage is impressive but how that pan’s out in North America is yet to be tested .
Do remember to add in the cost to convert it from 240V to 120V, i.e. replace the converter & all receptacles & electric appliances...
Old 09-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
and, plastic windows get scratched really easily. you have to be very careful cleaning them.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:56 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
NuCamp unveiled a similar European designed trailer at Hershey this year. They haven't released any info on it but there are some videos from Hershey attendees...

MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Do remember to add in the cost to convert it from 240V to 120V, i.e. replace the converter & all receptacles & electric appliances...
And add replacing the propane plumbing... at least the tanks and the hoses connecting to the tanks.

While the comparison of trailer styles and designs is interesting (and I assume that was the point of this thread), I think that this sort of concern kills the practicality of importing something from Europe for most people. There is also a potential issue with approvals: while a used trailer could likely be imported to Canada without a lot of problems, a new trailer sold here may be provincially required to meet the relevant set of CSA standards; although I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the Euro product, it won't specifically match what the standards here expect. Similarly it won't match U.S. standards; I don't know how much of an issue that would be.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
and, plastic windows get scratched really easily. you have to be very careful cleaning them.
John I have had acrylic fish tanks for years even with little grandkids . Sunglasses the good kind are made with acrylic . Products to clean and protect . Pat
Old 09-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #28

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I've been on other camping web sites lately i cant believe all the horror stories about typical American made RVs. Completely falling apart / soft floors/ in a year or two paying 80-100k. Insurance wont cover because its a manufacturing issue and these big manufacturers not standing behind their trailers. Makes me happy in my choices!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Jon if they got into our markets I think they would be set for our standards ? They would have to pass inspections and get our approval seals . Of course just importing your trailer would be a nightmare and very costly . Besides the windows , installed trailer movers , water heating , some of their products are here though . Pat
Old 09-18-2018, 04:48 PM   #30

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Jon if they got into our markets I think they would be set for our standards ? They would have to pass inspections and get our approval seals . Of course just importing your trailer would be a nightmare and very costly . Besides the windows , installed trailer movers , water heating , some of their products are here though . Pat
Not necessarily , I have worked on numerous pieces of equipment that were imported from Europe / Asia into North America . They all were certified in Europe / Asia but were not tested and UL listed for the US . We were not allowed to install the machinery until they were UL certified
One machine sat idle for over a year while this got sorted out . ( Machine cost was $6,000,000)
It is expensive to have products tested and listed and many manufacturers try to skip this step to cut costs .
I would not assume that a trailer built in Europe meets North American standards just because it’s sold here
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Not necessarily , I have worked on numerous pieces of equipment that were imported from Europe / Asia into North America . They all were certified in Europe / Asia but were not tested and UL listed for the US . We were not allowed to install the machinery until they were UL certified
One machine sat idle for over a year while this got sorted out . ( Machine cost was $6,000,000)
It is expensive to have products tested and listed and many manufacturers try to skip this step to cut costs .
I would not assume that a trailer built in Europe meets North American standards just because it’s sold here
Steve I don't know . Even our trailer had to be inspected before we could get the license and be on the road , being from Canada . A few ago they didn't like the vin numbers or such and no trailers could be imported until it got sorted out . It was at least 4 mo . Pat
Old 09-18-2018, 06:32 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
John I have had acrylic fish tanks for years even with little grandkids . Sunglasses the good kind are made with acrylic . Products to clean and protect . Pat
yeah, but do you drive around at 60 MPH with those fish tanks outside ? let me know how they are in a few 10000 miles.

My prescription eyeglasses with plastic (trivex) lenses and antiscratch coatings, I have to replace every few years. My prescription sunglasses are tempered glass and last quite a lot longer.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:44 PM   #33

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We went to Obelink in the Netherlands and viewed a number of a European-made trailers ... they were amazing. They do, however, have all hookups on the passenger side of the trailer and (we asked) these can't be moved to the other side without a redesign.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:57 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
yeah, but do you drive around at 60 MPH with those fish tanks outside ? let me know how they are in a few 10000 miles.

My prescription eyeglasses with plastic (trivex) lenses and antiscratch coatings, I have to replace every few years. My prescription sunglasses are tempered glass and last quite a lot longer.
Well I fly around with an acrylic canopy and this one has many thousands of miles on it. It's in pristine condition because strict protocols are followed in cleaning and polishing it.

Acrylic windows wouldn't be a deal killer for me.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Oct. 14, 2017.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:04 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Well I fly around with an acrylic canopy and this one has many thousands of miles on it. It's in pristine condition because strict protocols are followed in cleaning and polishing it.

Acrylic windows wouldn't be a deal killer for me.

Ron
not a lot of road debris at 6000' ...
Old 09-18-2018, 07:39 PM   #36

Quote:

Mine are to but don't replace unless pres . Changes .B cause I have a prism in left eye and work a lot , glass is heavy on the nose and don't need broken glass when I work , have had plastic for too many years to count . Pat
Old 09-18-2018, 08:10 PM   #37
Site Team

I can tolerate the weight of the glass on my sunglasses because they are vinyl 'bucci' frames, similar to many raybans, wraparrounds, with the vinyl frames the weight is distributed around my nose and not just sitting on a couple little pads.

as an amateur astronomer, I'm really fanatical about the optical clarity of my regular glasses, hairline scratches in the finish cause stars to get all streaky in the telescope eyepiece. I really dig the trivex lenses, they are really clear and very bright and my current frames are really light even with large lenses that cover my entire field of view.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:34 PM   #38

Quote:
I doubt that any European manufacturer would have any trouble adapting to North American standards, but they would change some components and some building procedures... some to meet standards, some to save money, and some to suit the preferences of buyers.

There is precedent for this:
  • The Captain and better known Cadet were Canadian-built versions of trailers from Niewiadow of Poland.
  • The T@b was a Tabbert product in Europe, which was then built in nearly the same form (except for propane lines, wiring, and appliances) by one of the major Indiana RV companies; the more recent version retains few of the original features.
  • The Erwin Hymer Group bought a Canadian Class B motorhome builder (Roadtrek) and is now selling both the Roadtrek line as well as their Euro line of Class B's... and the Hymer Touring GT trailer. This trailer appears to be Hymer's well-known (among lightweight travel trailer enthusiasts and classic VW owners) Eriba series from Europe, although strangely the aluminum wall panels of the Euro classic (still used there) have been replaced by fiberglass.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:25 PM   #39
Site Team

they'd probably have to change out ALL the appliances to ones rated by CC and UL which would leave us with the same old dometic, suburban, etc junk we've all been dealing with all along.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:42 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
they'd probably have to change out ALL the appliances to ones rated by CC and UL which would leave us with the same old dometic, suburban, etc junk we've all been dealing with all along.

Dometic is a Swedish company manufacturing and selling world-wide. But, that aside, are you saying American-made products are shoddy? I am thoroughly confused.