Wishes and Regrets - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2017, 06:05 AM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
We did not order any of the captain's lights at the dining room table area as we don't like a lot of bright lights. However, after picking up our 21' and camping in Chilliwack for one night before heading home, we called and had them to install
a captain's light in the rear on each side of the dining table. Love them! It makes it possible to turn on a light and aim in direction needed at the table. IF we had it to do over, we would do as someone else on the forum suggested and have another captain's light on each side in the front of the table seating corners for a total of 4 lights (2 in front & 2 in rear).
Is there still a regular light under the cabinets? I know I had them in our 19, but that was before they started using ceiling lights. If so, you could easily fish wires from them to the desired location for the captain's lights. If not, you could just find a 12V supply line to tap in to. Either get matching lights from Escape, or buy some of the many that are available out there.

I had considered adding these lights, but purposely left them out knowing if I found I wanted them, I knew they could be added quite easily after the fact. I will have a 12V drop in the front cabinets I could use as well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:21 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I was originally going to replace all the under cabinet lights to captain lights in Prairie Schooner's initial build list. I had 6 in BlackJack and seldom used the stock lights, they seemed to flicker and dim. However after seeing the new style lights being used I decided to add only one captain light, over the front dinette in the middle. The new stock lights are 100% improved over the older style led lamps.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #43

Trailer: 2015 19'
We don't have a 21, but in our 19 I love the window in the kitchen and the bathroom, storage box with lighting over it, additional usb plugs, cover over mattress, captains light in each reading corner, door under seating, and umbra hooks that we shipped to ETI.

Wish we didn't get extra on/off switch at the doorway for lights inside and outside the trailer. It's overkill---what was I thinking? Plus I don't like labels on the outside of the cabinets.

So glad we ordered it earlier than we planned....can't wait until we go out end of the month!

Lorna
Old 01-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornanaugle View Post
We don't have a 21, but in our 19 I love the window in the kitchen and the bathroom, storage box with lighting over it, additional usb plugs, cover over mattress, captains light in each reading corner, door under seating, and umbra hooks that we shipped to ETI.

Wish we didn't get extra on/off switch at the doorway for lights inside and outside the trailer. It's overkill---what was I thinking? Plus I don't like labels on the outside of the cabinets.

So glad we ordered it earlier than we planned....can't wait until we go out end of the month!

Lorna
I cannot agree about light switches in the door frame being overkill. I have two, one controlling the outside "porch" light and another which controls one of the inside lights. It sure is handy to be able to turn the light on when entering the trailer after dark, rather than groping around in the dark to find the switch on the light itself. For me, the light switches are one of the most convenient options. But as Lorna stated, not everyone else has the same opinion.
As far as regrets, my biggest regret is that not knowing about Escape, I first bought a SOB (as Tammy would say) FG 5th wheel trailer which I found very unsatisfactory for several reasons. I also wish I had sent some quad shielded coaxial cable to ETI to use in installing the cable TV line. We now have a Winegard Carryout G-2 satellite dish. It finds the satellites automatically, but uses the shielding for 12v power. I didn't know when I was finalizing my build sheet that a satellite dish was in our future, or that the coax ETI uses would not work with the Winegard. As a result, I had to install a new coax cable because there was no possible way to use the existing cable to pull a new one in the 5.0TA.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I cannot agree about light switches in the door frame being overkill. I have two, one controlling the outside "porch" light and another which controls one of the inside lights.
Two would be great. I did 4! For the life of me I can't remember why....

Oh yes, my husband loves the hydraulic lift and ditto to the foot toilet flush.

L-
Old 01-03-2017, 07:24 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Sounds like Carl has the switches on the door frame whereas Phil & Lorna have them on the side of the upper cabinet which is the only place Escape will place them now. We have 3 on the door (not tree.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:21 PM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Sounds like Carl has the switches on the door frame whereas Phil & Lorna have them on the side of the upper cabinet which is the only place Escape will place them now. We have 3 on the door (not tree.
Ross, correct, mine are in the door frame. If Lorna's are in the cabinet, they must have made the change sometime in 2015; both our trailers are 2015 models. An acquaintance has a 2016 5.0TA and his switches are in the cabinet, but he only has two. He used my build sheet as a starting point and made a couple of changes I suggested as well as things he thought would fit his and his spouse's camping style.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:33 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Believe that change on the switches was made in late 2015 shortly after we picked up in August.

Our two switches besides the one for the porch are an absolute must as as far as I am concerned, for the front and back lights on the exterior. We have no switch for driver's side standard light which we sometimes turn on when out there for the electric on the water heater.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:06 PM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Working on our build sheet recently with Sarah, my understanding is that the switches are now on the side of the lower cabinet by the door just below the countertop. She said that there is room there for multiple switches, some above and below others, even if you have the fold-down counter extension. That is what I believe to be the current information.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:41 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by casejh View Post
Working on our build sheet recently with Sarah, my understanding is that the switches are now on the side of the lower cabinet by the door just below the countertop. She said that there is room there for multiple switches, some above and below others, even if you have the fold-down counter extension. That is what I believe to be the current information.
YEs, on the 2nG models the lower kitchen side is where switches are located including the awning cut off switch.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #51

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Light switches on the wall

In anticipation of someone asking "gee, Laura, can you snap a photo of the light switches", I just scampered out and took these. The first shows the two light switches. We added one for the inside light that's in the middle of the trailer. The other is standard - for the outside, porch light

I find I don't need labels on 'em as they're easy to remember. Outside light switch is the closest to the outside of the trailer. The inside switch is closest to the inside of the trailer (on the right).

The second photo shows the switch for the awning. It would be super low and PITA to use if you're standing inside the trailer, but if you're fiddling around with the awning while standing outside, it works just fine. I've only used the switch once and I was standing outside. We'll see how it works in real life later next month. If I deployed it here at home it'd only go out a foot or so before it hit the shed, so not happening. Remember, there's also a remote for the awning.

Edit: I realize I should have included the floor in this photo to give you some perspective. I'll do that next time I'm out there.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05009.jpg   DSC05010.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:21 PM   #52

Actually the awning switch is to allow power to the awning, the remote extends and retracts the awning.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:26 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Actually the awning switch is to allow power to the awning, the remote extends and retracts the awning.
So guess one must take extra care not to lose the remote then?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:30 PM   #54

Yes that and the remote for the lights plus the MaxxFan. fortunately there are holders provided for the awning and fan remotes and a lanyard for the light remote.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:32 PM   #55

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
So guess one must take extra care not to lose the remote then?
Oh, yeah, right on both counts. (I'm still working on my caffeine fix to jump start the brain, I guess.) So, I guess you could flip it with your foot if need be.

AND carry extra batteries!

The remote is in a holder thingie on the upper cabinet outside wall. It stayed in place when I drove the trailer home from ETI.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #56

Our light switches

Not to be a dead horse, but here are the light switches we have on our trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2534.jpg  
Old 01-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #57

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
Umbra hooks. They look solid and a good match with the wood interior. I wish I had ETI install them when ordering. I guess I might take one along when I have some warranty work done this spring.
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:46 PM   #58

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Not to be a dead horse, but here are the light switches we have on our trailer.
Hi: Lornanaugle... Which one "Switch"? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:55 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyone View Post
Umbra hooks. They look solid and a good match with the wood interior. I wish I had ETI install them when ordering. I guess I might take one along when I have some warranty work done this spring.
We had them install a total of 3, and the third hook they sawed in half and it fit into two tiny corners!
Old 01-05-2017, 04:15 PM   #60

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
Quote:
We had them install a total of 3, and the third hook they sawed in half and it fit into two tiny corners!

...and no special reinforcement to do during build?
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote