Wishes and Regrets - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2017, 11:10 PM   #81

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Does anyone wish they had purchased a second outlet below the kitchen counter, allowing more than 2 appliances to be plugged in at one time?
Not I, we don't have 2 appliances to plug in.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:23 PM   #82

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Does anyone wish they had purchased a second outlet below the kitchen counter, allowing more than 2 appliances to be plugged in at one time?
Yes! Me! Raising my hand!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:22 AM   #83
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Not me. If necessary, I have a plug at the end of the counter below the stooge table. The appliance could then sit on the table or on the sink cover for use.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #84

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Quote:
We actually placed the second outlet in the cabinet above the kitchen counter to keep the plug out of the way. SWMBO considers me with good reason to be something of a klutz.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:43 AM   #85

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The circuits in the Escape are 15 amp and all the outlets are on one or 2 circuits. Either be judicious in your use and try to keep big amp draws on separate circuits or you run a separate 15 amp line from the post for such. A member here just blew a circuit using a blow dryer and a heater, on one outlet. Remember your converter is on all the time and drawing electric as well as your water heater if you have the dual set up. Check the label on the appliance you wish to use and do some math.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:47 AM   #86

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
We actually placed the second outlet in the cabinet above the kitchen counter to keep the plug out of the way. SWMBO considers me with good reason to be something of a klutz.
I have seen that done in some trailers, and think it is not too bad of an idea to keep cords away from a relatively small work surface.

If you needed a second duplex receptacle at the galley for using 3 or 4 appliances at the same time, you would have no room for using the sink and stove. And, like Jim N alluded to, they would definitely need to be on separate circuits or would constantly be tripping.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #87

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 (One Life...Live It)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have seen that done in some trailers, and think it is not too bad of an idea to keep cords away from a relatively small work surface.

If you needed a second duplex receptacle at the galley for using 3 or 4 appliances at the same time, you would have no room for using the sink and stove. And, like Jim N alluded to, they would definitely need to be on separate circuits or would constantly be tripping.
Good points electrical plugs in a kitchen area need to be on separate circuits in B.C. Homes so I would think that would follow through to the trailer.
Fun&Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:24 PM   #88

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Richards, I ordered an extra 120V on the front of the lower kitchen cabinets. Sometimes it's nice to leave a couple of things plugged in, even if they aren't on.
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:37 PM   #89

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Separate or same circuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
Richards, I ordered an extra 120V on the front of the lower kitchen cabinets. Sometimes it's nice to leave a couple of things plugged in, even if they aren't on.
Do you know if they were put on separate circuits or the same circuit?
Old 01-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #90

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Not sure. Won't be finished for another 28 days (give or take...). ��
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:22 PM   #91

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun&Sun View Post
Good points electrical plugs in a kitchen area need to be on separate circuits in B.C. Homes so I would think that would follow through to the trailer.
Trailers are not required to conform to the NEC residential electrical code requirements . A residence is required to have at least two separate 20 amp circuits feeding the receptacles in the kitchen .
An RV ( trailer) does NOT have to meet this code requirement .
An Escape is wired with 14-2 NM ( Romex) which has a maximum ampacity of 15 amps. Trying to run 2 appliances
( toaster ,coffee maker , fry pan , toaster oven , hair dryer) simultaneously on the same 15 amp circuit will cause an overload and the breaker to trip.
I installed an addition GFCI receptacle in the kitchen on a separate 20 amp circuit. I am able to operate my toaster and coffee pot at the same time.
YES , I know I could run only one appliance at a time but I like to eat my "warm" toast with a "hot" cup of coffee.
Just one of my many quirks !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:41 PM   #92

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
Exactly my reasoning. Two things are always plugged in and on our counter. First, a 4-cup Mr. Coffee, and second, my Sonic Care which sits on its charger behind the sink. Neither has a particularly large footprint but if we pull the toaster or crockpot out of the cabinet they occupy most of the time, we do not have to play musical chairs with the outlets. I actually installed a power strip against the wall at the rear of the counter. It is secured to the countertop with industrial strength Velcro.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:57 AM   #93

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I installed one of these in my dinette table, you could put one in your kitchen...https://www.amazon.com/Pop-Up-Power-...+pop+up+outlet
Attached Thumbnails
31FkmMOYAkL._AC_US350_QL65_.jpg  
Old 03-14-2017, 06:56 PM   #94

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Trailers are not required to conform to the NEC residential electrical code requirements . A residence is required to have at least two separate 20 amp circuits feeding the receptacles in the kitchen .
An RV ( trailer) does NOT have to meet this code requirement .
An Escape is wired with 14-2 NM ( Romex) which has a maximum ampacity of 15 amps. Trying to run 2 appliances
( toaster ,coffee maker , fry pan , toaster oven , hair dryer) simultaneously on the same 15 amp circuit will cause an overload and the breaker to trip.
I installed an addition GFCI receptacle in the kitchen on a separate 20 amp circuit. I am able to operate my toaster and coffee pot at the same time.
YES , I know I could run only one appliance at a time but I like to eat my "warm" toast with a "hot" cup of coffee.
Just one of my many quirks !!
I am very interested in how you installed the additional 20 amp service. Is there a spare breaker or breaker space you used? How did you run the wires and what size did you use? We don't have our Escape 21 yet, but I would like to better understand how to run additional wires.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:40 PM   #95

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
I am very interested in how you installed the additional 20 amp service. Is there a spare breaker or breaker space you used? How did you run the wires and what size did you use? We don't have our Escape 21 yet, but I would like to better understand how to run additional wires.
I've added individually breakered receptacles to my 17b, but for the build sheet on the new 21, I had Escape add a receptacle towards the front of the passenger side dinette seat that is wired directly to the converter breaker panel.

I wanted a receptacle that didn't go through the transfer switch contacts to prevent wear & tear when used to power an electric heater. Only $75.00 Canadian. While I could have done it a bit cheaper, it was worth it.